To All The New Elk Hunters.......

In my first couple of attempts at elk, I have had difficulty finding animals, so once a spot is picked out on a map, how do you actually go about locating the animals? This might include different methods of hunting elk (sitting/walking/glassing) and when and where each method is most effective.
Also, how does your hunting strategy change for different seasons (archery vs. 1st rifle vs. 4th rifle, etc.).

Types of weather you can expect to encounter and how to deal with it. Down here in AZ in an early hunt, you're trying to stay cool and hydrated. Getting your meat cared for quickly is an issue. On a late hunt in the snow, the first thing after locating your downed elk should be building a fire. There are myriad other issues related to weather, survival, gear and caring for your game that a newbie might not consider in their preparation.

We are working on the first two installments, and should have the first out very soon.

Below is a list of some of what we plan to cover. One of the early installments will be about deadlines, and for the most part OTC tags that are available.

1. Figuring out where to apply-Also will cover weapon choice(archery, rifle, etc.)
2. Once you have a tag, picking out where to go.
3. Map Scouting, and scouting in general-I plan on a LOT of pictures for this one, identifying elk country.
4. Getting in Hunting shape.
5. Meat Care
6. Equipment needed.

The series is going to be geared for the DIY hunter and hopefully will be one that guys bookmark and keep coming back to. Keep the ideas coming, it is helping me a lot.

Where can I get the contact info for local LEO/F&G, etc in case there is an emergency or a wounded animal goes into private land.

Where can I get the contact info for local LEO/F&G, etc in case there is an emergency or a wounded animal goes into private land.

The local or regional office. I have the local DWM's number in my cell phone where I hunt

i plan on hunting the september archery elk season for the first time and was thinking about posting up at an active wallow and just waiting one out. anybody have success with doing this or is it not the grand idea i think it is?

We are working on the first two installments, and should have the first out very soon.

Below is a list of some of what we plan to cover. One of the early installments will be about deadlines, and for the most part OTC tags that are available.

1. Figuring out where to apply-Also will cover weapon choice(archery, rifle, etc.)
2. Once you have a tag, picking out where to go.
3. Map Scouting, and scouting in general-I plan on a LOT of pictures for this one, identifying elk country.
4. Getting in Hunting shape.
5. Meat Care
6. Equipment needed.

The series is going to be geared for the DIY hunter and hopefully will be one that guys bookmark and keep coming back to. Keep the ideas coming, it is helping me a lot.

Nice points and best of luck with the blog.

How about you get a heap of images of elk, all on different angles in different terrains with some partly covered by brush, grass, foliage etc and you put aiming points on them for the different vitals. For example, where the lungs sit, the heart, the spine and shoulder blade, the liver etc, reason is that there seems to be a large percentage of guys when confronted with a large animal who get target panic, be it with either rifle or bow and they just cover the general area and let it rip. Normally with sub standard results.

cheers
hgwt

Last edited:
With pink fuzzy dice on the rearview mirrors. The ATV must be street legal as well......

I think a key point for newbies needs to really emphasize how big of an animal an elk is. A lot of newbie elk hunters are fairly experienced deer hunters and think they will just gut it out and drag it out. They probably haven't thought ahead on what happens when they get an animal on the ground a couple miles from the nearest road on a sunny fall day with temperatures in the 70's or even 80's some years.

Also I think a heavy emphasis on getting in decent shape and being physically prepared for the hunt is important.
They are big. A bull at 80yd looks so big you think he's at 45yd. I learnt that one on my first archery hunt.

I think some ideas on where to start with maps ect in choosing areas you will scout. I know just "covering a lot of ground" and "getting away from roads" doesn't lead directly to finding elk but past that I'm lost.:)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back