Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

@tlanta ID

Irrelevant

First off, I've started deliberately misspelling names to hopefully prevent their inclusion in search results.

Secondly, I want your honey holes, seriously. We're going back to ID for a family camping trip in August. My daughter and I have unit 39 deer tags, so there will be some scouting- I'm not looking for deer/hunting spots, we'll sort that out on our own. But what I'm really after are camping, fishing, and hiking spots in or around Atl@nta ID. Or even hot tips on where NOT to go. I've never been to the west side of the sawt0oths at all, we mostly explore the stanl3y side (which we're going to the second half of the trip). Any trails to do, off trail peaks to bag, creeks to fish, rivers to avoid, etc. PM me responses, don't blast your responses for the world to see below.

First off, I've started deliberately misspelling names to hopefully prevent their inclusion in search results.

Secondly, I want you honey holes, seriously. We're going back to ID for a family camping trip in August. My daughter and I have unit 39 deer tags, so there will be some scouting- I'm not looking for deer/hunting spots, we'll sort that out on our own. But what I'm really after are camping, fishing, and hiking spots in or around Atl@nta ID. Or even hot tips on where NOT to go. I've never been to the west side of the sawtooths at all, we mostly explore the stanl3y side (which we're going to the second half of the trip). Any trails to do, off trail peaks to bag, creeks to fish, rivers to avoid, etc. PM me responses, don't blast your responses for the world to see below.

Thank you for your service. The misspelling idea is brilliant

Code: Turn left off pavement before a sharp right turn, when crossing the second creek running to the right take the first right then second left, go past 217 lodgepole pines on right, 85 Ponderosa pines on left,
turn right where a big tree has a funny looking rock to its right and turn left, arrive at Buzztail Gulch. You should have the place all to yourself.

Code: Turn left off pavement before a sharp right turn, when crossing the second creek running to the right take the first right then second left, go past 217 lodgepole pines on right, 85 Ponderosa pines on left,
turn right where a big tree has a funny looking rock to its right and turn left, arrive at Buzztail Gulch. You should have the place all to yourself.
I said PM me! You'd better make make those directions a little more vague lest Buzztail gulch get overrun with touristas.

Think I might have been there!

Okay, 'nother question. Both the MVU maps for both Boise NF and Sawtooth NF show NFS Road 227 is open from Featherville to Ketchum. But the Sawtooth NF Alerts page has this:
1691688117844.png
any of my ID hommies been through there this year? I've tried calling the Ketchum district office and can't get through. I've also tried emailing but probably won't get a response before we leave Sat morning.

First off, apparently I'm old and behind the technology curve already. Google's AI search smarts definitely knows what I mean to say even if I misspell the title, I changed my river trip title and it was still the 4th result in google when I spelled it correctly. Honestly, this may lead to an overall decline in my posting. I'm really starting to regret some of the info I've shared over the years.

But to keep making the same mistake over and over, like any true Washingtonian will do. Here's how the camping trip went down.

The drive up the Boise River is no joke. It's fairly narrow wash boarded roads with a fleet of SxS's racing along it. I thought I was going to die several times. I yelled at people, they yelled at me. F'n idiots.

Fishing was pretty darn good. Swimming was even better. I was told by a self proclaimed "old timer" that all the big swimming holes are remnants of placer mining. No idea if that's true, but they made excellent swimming holes. Fishing was good too, at least in adjacent runs. Seemed like more of the "holes" were fished pretty heavy, but a snorkel mask definitely revealed a pile of fish in every one. Mostly white fish, then rainbows and some bulls. Never did see a cuttie.

That side of the sawtooths are pretty ugly compared to the east side.

The valley walls are tall and steep and goddamn it's going to be tough hunting with a 12 yr old, thankfully she's pretty tough herself. Not a ton of camping spots except right along the river and those I bet are pretty full come hunting season. Did not see a buck, but honestly didn't look as hard as I planned. I definitely defaulted to this just being a family camping trip more than a scouting trip.

We fell into a nice groove where I got up at light, glassed from near camp or went on a short hike, then made breakfast, went for a family hike in the late morning, got back in the early afternoon hot as hell, then went and found a swimming hole, oogled at my wife in her bikini while I caught a mid-day buzz, went back to camp made dinner, then caught an even buzz while reading and watching the sunset. Wash, rinse, repeat.

You can get really far from anywhere back there. I mean like really far. Sure you're still on a road, but you're SOL if something breaks. I had to bring extra gas.

Finally. No pics. I didn't hardly take any. It's been a deliberate effort on my part to live a "quieter life".

Actually, here is a pic I took down in the lower winter rangy country. WTF is this plant (not the sage in the background)? It's everywhere and about the only thing green. The grasshoppers, which were crazy, appeared to have eaten all the leaves if there ever were any.
20230813_082423.jpg

Actually, here is a pic I took down in the lower winter rangy country. WTF is this plant (not the sage in the background)? It's everywhere and about the only thing green. The grasshoppers, which were crazy, appeared to have eaten all the leaves if there ever were any.
View attachment 288755
Screenshot_20230821_130624_PictureThis.jpg

Download the 'picture this" app. Wonderful time waster

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back