MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Tires....again.

I use to use BFG ATs on my 2500HD diesel all the time. I would easily get over 50,000 miles out of a set.

I put BFG ATs on my 4Runner last year and love them.

I’ve been using them for over 20 years and have had good luck with them. I’ve never noticed them to be loud.

They are discontinuing the BFG ATs for a new version AT 2. I am on my third set of BFG ATs on this truck and have gotten over 50k on each set. I am at 57k on the current set and if didn’t have winter coming up I would probably squeeze anther 10k off them.
In any event I just today ordered a set of Geolandar AT G015 to try out ...

I would go with a different option other than the Yokohama Geolanders. I have two different work trucks that have them on them and they are the worst wearing tire we’ve ever had. Both rigs have tires chopped to sheet even when rotating the sneakers every 5K and new alignments done when the tires were installed. These are half ton Chevy’s and they are Land surveying crew trucks so they aren’t babies in the least bit.we have got quite a lot of miles out of them though even with daily hard use. They aren’t the best tire off road though as they’re tread compound is harder than woodpecker lips so that might be why they’re so durable.

I would go with a different option other than the Yokohama Geolanders. I have two different work trucks that have them on them and they are the worst wearing tire we’ve ever had. Both rigs have tires chopped to sheet even when rotating the sneakers every 5K and new alignments done when the tires were installed. These are half ton Chevy’s and they are Land surveying crew trucks so they aren’t babies in the least bit.we have got quite a lot of miles out of them though even with daily hard use. They aren’t the best tire off road though as they’re tread compound is harder than woodpecker lips so that might be why they’re so durable.
This is the new model,that has more aggressive tread, X-AT. Looks very much like the Cooper Maxx-AT. I had the original Geolander AT's on it 2 yrs ago & they did get shredded in a year.

This is the new model,that has more aggressive tread, X-AT. Looks very much like the Cooper Maxx-AT. I had the original Geolander AT's on it 2 yrs ago & they did get shredded in a year.
They look like a nice tire. Hopefully you have good luck with them.

I've used the Cooper AT3 and BFG KO2 tires. Coopers on a 1/2 ton pickup and on a Durango SUV, BFGs on a Ranger. Both tires have worn well on all vehicles, got 70k on the Durango Coopers before I took them off to use as a full-set of spares (bought Jeep wheels to run on the Durango).

IME, I prefer the BFGs just because they seem to be a lot quieter. I can't fault either tire for any other aspect of performance though.

I am also a fan of the BFG ATs. I've left them for others, but always come back. I get a new set every other year. I run 10 plys and drive lots of Montana gravel and dirt roads during hunting season and haven't had to change them yet

https://www.tirerecappers.com/

Are they better: no. Are they just as good: yes. Do they cost half as much: yes.

Been running these for years. Check them out. They'll last at least as long and take the pain out of buying new. I've found that nothing lasts to warranty when you're taking your truck the places i do. Best you can do is limit the financial damage.

Are they better: no. Are they just as good: yes. Do they cost half as much: yes.

Been running these for years. Check them out. They'll last at least as long and take the pain out of buying new. I've found that nothing lasts to warranty when you're taking your truck the places i do. Best you can do is limit the financial damage.

If you want an economical 10 ply A/T tire check out the Ironman Tire (tirebuyer.com) It is a Hercules Tire and Cooper makes all Hercules tires.

You go right ahead.
There is no way I would ever put retreads on my truck. It's just not worth risking my truck and trailer or the lives of my family and others on the road.
Yes they have new treads but they are put on a carcass that is years old before you even buy them.

You go right ahead.
There is no way I would ever put retreads on my truck. It's just not worth risking my truck and trailer or the lives of my family and others on the road.
Yes they have new treads but they are put on a carcass that is years old before you even buy them.

Have you ever tried them, or are you making assumptions based on "common wisdom" from the previous century? Do your research. Retreads have come a long way. These aren't the horror story tires you remember from the 80's. And if you've got the means to spend $1200 every 40k miles, then sure, do it and don't look back.

Have you ever tried them, or are you making assumptions based on "common wisdom" from the previous century? Do your research. Retreads have come a long way. These aren't the horror story tires you remember from the 80's. And if you've got the means to spend $1200 every 40k miles, then sure, do it and don't look back.
Like I said, you go right ahead. I'm not willing to take the risk like you are. 🤕

I must be tire ignorant coz I just found out 6 ply tires get a lot of flats on gravel roads. Got a quote today on some 10 plys at Firestone... $1,500 installed :) I'll wait a bit I think.

Check out some of the online tire vendors and also ebay, usually a lot cheaper than your local garage and most of them have free shipping.

If you want an economical 10 ply A/T tire check out the Ironman Tire (tirebuyer.com) It is a Hercules Tire and Cooper makes all Hercules tires.
I have the 6 ply Ironmans on my Dodge W100.
Run good in summer and some crazy slick mud. Snow, ummmm, not so much.
Winter i put Cooper MSR on.
Switching over i've got 4 years on the Ironmans, but at under 40K miles they are starting to hydroplane.

For 10 ply tires, i'd check out Firestone's offerings. Wear like iron here on the east side of things.

The best set of tires I've had was a set of toyo m-55 commercial AT tires that came on my truck. They are crazy expensive, have limited sizes to common commercial sizes, but they are pretty indestructible. My uncle swears by them and uses them on his oil field trucks, they are one of the few that will hold up at all to the scoria (lava rock) they use on the roads.

Back