Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Tips for your average hunter

I may have missed it, but are you looking to do a (as in singular) western hunt with an expectation of success, or are looking to get into it and heading out west on a regular basis?

More than once, at least. I don't expect to go my first time and bag a big bill. I'm not even really a stickler on bull or cow. I hunt to fill the freezer. I haven't bought meat from the store in 3 years.

As a fellow (temporary) Illinois resident that takes multiple trips a year out west, I can say that the large majority of the gear used to chase Illinois whitetails isn't not really well suited for hunting out west. This even pertains to really good top end Midwest hunting gear, most of it isn't designed with the intent of moving lots. A great example is the Sitka whitetail line of gear, its designed around short hikes and comfort in a treestand, more insulation because you aren't active. Having used and abused things like the Sitka Whitetail Bucket in the East and West it just wasn't meant for the application and I bought a Mystery Ranch Metcalf after one hunt with the whitetail bucket out west. A really active Illinois hunt might rack up 2.5 miles including moving treestands and checking trail cams on foot, while a day antelope hunting in Wyoming has always broken 15 miles on opening day for me.

If you are gonna go west Wyoming Antelope is the no brainer as far as costs and logistics go. That hunt can be done for about $600 in tags, gas and food from Illinois once you have filled some capital gear costs. Coming from the Midwest to hunt the west you are gonna spend a few thousand dollars getting up to speed on the equipment needed for hunts. This once again points towards antelope hunting because its cheap, that $1000 elk hunt everyone does the math on doesn't really hold true on your first couple of trips because of gear you need to buy that might be good for 20 seasons.

I will look more into gear. Thank you

I'm a boxer, so I hope I'm in shape. All though with the difference in elevation, that could cause problems. No way to really train for that though.

Lmao, yep I think you've got the fitness thing down. I heard a guy on here mention training with a mouthpeice to simulate low oxygen, but you probably already do that too. Good luck

These are some damn good tips, far better than any magazine offers. Please keep sending more tips for new hunters(like me).

Lmao, yep I think you've got the fitness thing down. I heard a guy on here mention training with a mouthpeice to simulate low oxygen, but you probably already do that too. Good luck

Yes sir, I do. There's face masks you can buy that also simulate low oxygen, but I've been told not to train with them because there has been a few athletes that have actually starved their brain of oxygen and had a hemorrhage. Lol.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back