Tips for your average hunter

MidWesternHunter94

Hey guys, new here. I'm wondering, what are your tips for the average guy that wants to get out west to do some hunting. I live in illinois, but I am originally from Idaho. All though we moved away (for God knows what reason, it sucks here) when I was 10, I have always missed the hunting out west, it's just not the same here. I'm not rich, I'm not a pro, I just need to get out there for as cheap as possible. Colorado, Wyoming, Idaho, Montana these are the states I'd like to hunt. So what can I do to get in there and do an elk hunt, or a moose hunt for not an outrageous price? I'm not really looking for an outfitter, or anything of that nature. Thanks in advance!

Welcome. I'd suggest starting by watching some of Randy's videos on YouTube.

Tips & Tactics playlist
Logistics playlist
He covers several states' tag systems in the Elk Talk playlist too.

There's a wealth of information on this forum, too. Use its search tool to find the topic you're interested in.

Check each state's wildlife agency's website for maps, rules, and more local information. As for keeping price down, team up if you have friends you can count on, and split the travel costs. I'd suggest against saving cost by buying cheaper gear. That may be more expensive in the long run.

Go to YouTube, type in Randy Newberg, watch every video. Then you'll have some great ideas. Deer hunting is easy and affordable to get into as a non-res. Moose on the other hand, good luck in the draw!

Welcome. I'd suggest starting by watching some of Randy's videos on YouTube.

Tips & Tactics playlist
Logistics playlist
He covers several states' tag systems in the Elk Talk playlist too.

There's a wealth of information on this forum, too. Use its search tool to find the topic you're interested in.

Check each state's wildlife agency's website for maps, rules, and more local information. As for keeping price down, team up if you have friends you can count on, and split the travel costs. I'd suggest against saving cost by buying cheaper gear. That may be more expensive in the long run.

Oh, I definitely wouldn't cheap out on gear. I'm an avid bow hunter here in illinois, so I'd imagine I already have most of what I'd need for an elk hunt. Might need some new boots, mine are a bit worn. We don't do too much walking here for white tails, so I've been putting that off.

Colorado OTC elk, hope that gas prices stay down. :) Camp if you have the equipment so no hotel costs.

Drop the Moose idea and just stick with Elk.

The draw period has passed for WY, but you can pick up an OTC tag in MT,ID,CO. Colorado has the most elk, but a lot of pressure. Montana has some amazing country and a lot of elk (once you know where to look for them) but overall the success rate seems lower, however, MT has some really big bulls. Idaho has decent Elk hunting, been hit by wolves a little bit but you can have a good hunt. If I had to pick, ide have a hard time choosing between Montana and Idaho. If I were bit by the Elk bug bad, ide just hunt both!

Pick a state. Then look at the harvest stats and estimates of herd population in each unit, pick a unit with a decent percentage of harvest success. Clear a 9 day window in your calendar (more if possible) and then just invest in a good pair of boots, some good binos and invest in a lot of gas! You can listen to all the tips and tactics in the world but boots on the ground experience is your best teacher. Noones going to give away their spots, as its taken most people a lot of time and money to figure things out. Just got to bite the bullet and go, you wont be disappointed, every trip is an adventure.

Wyoming antelope

What Cushman said. WY antelope is about the best hunt to start with to learn about the logistics of coming out here for hunting. Another thing is don't get hung up on trying to get a premier tag. You learn far more hunting more often with an OTC tag and have a very good chance by putting boots to the ground.

Drop the Moose idea and just stick with Elk.

The draw period has passed for WY, but you can pick up an OTC tag in MT,ID,CO. Colorado has the most elk, but a lot of pressure. Montana has some amazing country and a lot of elk (once you know where to look for them) but overall the success rate seems lower, however, MT has some really big bulls. Idaho has decent Elk hunting, been hit by wolves a little bit but you can have a good hunt. If I had to pick, ide have a hard time choosing between Montana and Idaho. If I were bit by the Elk bug bad, ide just hunt both!

Pick a state. Then look at the harvest stats and estimates of herd population in each unit, pick a unit with a decent percentage of harvest success. Clear a 9 day window in your calendar (more if possible) and then just invest in a good pair of boots, some good binos and invest in a lot of gas! You can listen to all the tips and tactics in the world but boots on the ground experience is your best teacher. Noones going to give away their spots, as its taken most people a lot of time and money to figure things out. Just got to bite the bullet and go, you wont be disappointed, every trip is an adventure.

Thank you. Now I at least know which states are OTC. I know some states are a major pain to even get a tag in. I was thinking Colorado would probably be the easiest one to get a tag for (explains the pressure, go figure), but then again, pressure doesn't worry me too much, as I deal with pressure a lot here in illinois, especially during gun season where it sounds like a war zone at times. Thank you to everyone who answered, and I certainly will look into Wyoming antelope, I've heard it's a great hunt.

If you can front the money, start applying in Colorado and Wyoming. Those states offer the ability for you to pull a nice elk tag every 10 years, a nice deer tag every 7 years and a pronghorn tag every 2 to 5 years. Not great tags usually but will see mature animals if are applying for units that draw in the above range of years.

You will have to front money. There will be costs in years do not draw a tag but after about 5 years you should draw a tag in most years.

You can use Montana as a Plan B for years you do not draw a tag since they raised prices beyond demand so in recent years you can pick up the elk/deer combo long after they announce the draw results. Things change but is a Plan B. Or, you could grab a landowner tag in Colorado for deer or elk or do the same in New Mexico for elk.

Once you get a tag, be sure you are in shape to handle the terrain and altitude for where you will be hunting. Be sure you gear can handle the conditions as well since your life may depend on it if you get into the mountain ridges or have some cold and wet conditions.

Big game hunting out West for a non-resident is not a cheap date. Take care of family needs first then go enjoy some hunts. Good luck!

If you can front the money, start applying in Colorado and Wyoming. Those states offer the ability for you to pull a nice elk tag every 10 years, a nice deer tag every 7 years and a pronghorn tag every 2 to 5 years. Not great tags usually but will see mature animals if are applying for units that draw in the above range of years.

You will have to front money. There will be costs in years do not draw a tag but after about 5 years you should draw a tag in most years.

You can use Montana as a Plan B for years you do not draw a tag since they raised prices beyond demand so in recent years you can pick up the elk/deer combo long after they announce the draw results. Things change but is a Plan B. Or, you could grab a landowner tag in Colorado for deer or elk or do the same in New Mexico for elk.

Once you get a tag, be sure you are in shape to handle the terrain and altitude for where you will be hunting. Be sure you gear can handle the conditions as well since your life may depend on it if you get into the mountain ridges or have some cold and wet conditions.

Big game hunting out West for a non-resident is not a cheap date. Take care of family needs first then go enjoy some hunts. Good luck!

Do I need to apply for anything if I just go OTC and hunt public land?

Do I need to apply for anything if I just go OTC and hunt public land?

The concept is that you can apply for better quality hunts and gain points for a future hunt while you are hunting OTC units in between better draws. You certainly can stay busy for the forseable future by hunting OTC units in CO, MT, and Idaho. Especially MT and Idaho have some big general units that hold great bulls and bucks. Given enough time spent in one area and learning it well and those OTC units can produce trophies on par with more limited areas.

Wyoming antelope was my first western hunt. It is hard to beat. You still have time to apply this year, although I'm not sure what areas you could draw with no points, but you may get lucky.

Oh, I definitely wouldn't cheap out on gear. I'm an avid bow hunter here in illinois, so I'd imagine I already have most of what I'd need for an elk hunt. Might need some new boots, mine are a bit worn. We don't do too much walking here for white tails, so I've been putting that off.

As a fellow (temporary) Illinois resident that takes multiple trips a year out west, I can say that the large majority of the gear used to chase Illinois whitetails isn't not really well suited for hunting out west. This even pertains to really good top end Midwest hunting gear, most of it isn't designed with the intent of moving lots. A great example is the Sitka whitetail line of gear, its designed around short hikes and comfort in a treestand, more insulation because you aren't active. Having used and abused things like the Sitka Whitetail Bucket in the East and West it just wasn't meant for the application and I bought a Mystery Ranch Metcalf after one hunt with the whitetail bucket out west. A really active Illinois hunt might rack up 2.5 miles including moving treestands and checking trail cams on foot, while a day antelope hunting in Wyoming has always broken 15 miles on opening day for me.

If you are gonna go west Wyoming Antelope is the no brainer as far as costs and logistics go. That hunt can be done for about $600 in tags, gas and food from Illinois once you have filled some capital gear costs. Coming from the Midwest to hunt the west you are gonna spend a few thousand dollars getting up to speed on the equipment needed for hunts. This once again points towards antelope hunting because its cheap, that $1000 elk hunt everyone does the math on doesn't really hold true on your first couple of trips because of gear you need to buy that might be good for 20 seasons.

Ditto the pronghorn. Its a cheap overall hunt so you can afford to spend some money on gear like a rangefinder, boots, gps with chip, and good optics. Then you can start to plan bigger better trips. Make sure you get in shape before you go. There's a ton of good threads on here on all of these subjects so fo yourself a favor and do some searches. Good luck, its not too late to apply but you may need to apply for the special draw or do a tresspass fee hunt. It'll still be a blast and will run you an extra 250-300 bucks depending on what you do.

Ditto the pronghorn. Its a cheap overall hunt so you can afford to spend some money on gear like a rangefinder, boots, gps with chip, and good optics. Then you can start to plan bigger better trips. Make sure you get in shape before you go. There's a ton of good threads on here on all of these subjects so fo yourself a favor and do some searches. Good luck, its not too late to apply but you may need to apply for the special draw or do a tresspass fee hunt. It'll still be a blast and will run you an extra 250-300 bucks depending on what you do.

I'm a boxer, so I hope I'm in shape. All though with the difference in elevation, that could cause problems. No way to really train for that though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back