Tips for brisket on a smoker

I use thermopen's smoker probes. One for air and another for meat. Has a remote fob so I can monitor temps from inside the house. Great for most anything you smoke and greatly reduces the urge to open the door and check on the meat.

Agreed. If you're lookin', you're not cookin'!

Remote probes have been a game changer for me in keeping the lid closed. Mine comes with two probes-one for the meat and one for the air inside the grill. I like to poke both in the meat though as a control, just in case I didn't do a good job getting the first one positioned in the center.

Ditto the wireless thermometer setups. Low and slow is the way to go. I use a Traeger and start out with just smoke setting for 2-3 hours, then up to 225 for 4-6 hours, then wrap in tinfoil with a little apple juice in the bottom and temps up to 250-275 for 4-6 hours until the meat is up to temp then rest at least an hour in a cooler to give the collagen time to really soften up. I usually do whole packer in the 16lb range, then after trimming ends up at around 12-14lbs trimmed weight. I use Hickory to smoke and a rub recipe I make myself. Some folks just use salt, pepper, dry mustard for the rub. Depends on what you're going for. Trick is... don't rush it.

Last edited:
best advice i ever recieved when doing brisket is once it gets around 195 put the thermometer away. judge it then oh how easy a butter knife or even the probe on your thermometer goes in it. when it slides like butter then its done. you can't judge that by temperature

While I agree that checking this way can be great, I think someone new to brisket can do fine with using the thermometer.

Just make sure you aren't measuring the temp in a fat spot. Fat will read high.

I think Aaron Franklin just grabs the brisket and feels how it shakes.

Plenty of ways, but I'd start with a good probe and figure it out.

Get a right side brisket. Only 2 left at store and got them. Cooked both to 202 and let rest for 3 hours. The left was way tougher. It is a urban legend that I saw play out for real and now perpetuating. Also in store hold at point and see where the flat breaks and falls. The closer to the point the more tender it will be.

AMERICAS TEST KITCHEN also has some good ways of cooking anything especially Brisket. Liked their snake method on a weber grill. Before the haters chime in like Cushman try it 1st.

I dream about getting a brisket off a moose. Last time we just put into burger. Idiots.

I’m reviving this thread since I’m going to try smoking a brisket for the first time ever tomorrow. I was holding out til I got a pellet grill but that’s not happening for a while and I’ve had the brisket in the freezer long enough. I’ll be doing it in my Bradley smoker instead. Just a few questions: is it a very big deal to use butcher paper instead of aluminum foil for the wrap? Not sure if I can get butcher paper at the store in town. Also, do you guys inject a marinade for extra flavor/tenderness? I think I’m going to smoke at 225 fat side up til 160-165, then wrap til it hits 190, and then finish til 195-205, and then wrap in a cooler for a few hours. That seems to be the general sentiment here and other places. Thanks for any extra hints.

I’m reviving this thread since I’m going to try smoking a brisket for the first time ever tomorrow. I was holding out til I got a pellet grill but that’s not happening for a while and I’ve had the brisket in the freezer long enough. I’ll be doing it in my Bradley smoker instead. Just a few questions: is it a very big deal to use butcher paper instead of aluminum foil for the wrap? Not sure if I can get butcher paper at the store in town. Also, do you guys inject a marinade for extra flavor/tenderness? I think I’m going to smoke at 225 fat side up til 160-165, then wrap til it hits 190, and then finish til 195-205, and then wrap in a cooler for a few hours. That seems to be the general sentiment here and other places. Thanks for any extra hints.
I prefer butcher paper, but foil is fine. Various opinions on injecting, but I’m a definite “no” on that. If you cook it right, there’s no need for it. You should get all the flavor you need from the smoke and rub, and it’ll be super moist and tender if you cook it right.

As for an earlier post from the OP commenting on lack of smoke ring from his Masterbuilt electric, electric smokers will not produce much if any smoke ring on anything. It has to do with the fact that the wood chips are smoldering vs burning. I used an electric smoker for many years for the convenience of set and forget on the temperature, but have since switched to the Masterbuilt Gravity Feed charcoal and wood grill and smoker. Still set and forget, has the advantage of real wood and charcoal fire box, and does anything from 130 degree cold smoke to 700 degree sear. Major downsides are efficiency and temp consistency throughout the cook chamber. It’s not well insulated, so it eats tons of fuel (especially when it’s cold outside) and internal temp variation can be 15 degrees at various spots inside the chamber.

Low and slow pork shoulder (18 hrs)...
B6B9F30F-B917-4E10-8D27-BA396C39D714.jpeg

700 degree reverse sear on a Tomahawk ribeye...
39A51300-3BA8-44A1-8D81-237C6350EF66.jpeg

I've only ever used foil. Don't think it will really make THAT much of a difference but have no way to compare the two methods. I didn't inject with anything. Just a good rub, or salt and peppered, and throw it in there. Your plan sounds pretty solid to me. ENJOY!

You need the right butcher paper so you're probably correct that you won't be able to find it. Here is all you need to know (and probably do).
Having said that, folks have foiled for years. It will be fine. Salt and pepper rub, and let it rest. Good luck!

As for an earlier post from the OP commenting on lack of smoke ring from his Masterbuilt electric, electric smokers will not produce much if any smoke ring on anything. It has to do with the fact that the wood chips are smoldering vs burning.
I would think that smoke is smoke, doesn't matter if it's smoldering or burning. I use a Masterbuilt electric smoker and I get a smoke ring. I just have to remember to refill the chip tray every so often because it isn't very big.

I'm looking to cook a large beef brisket on my smoker next week. I've done a few briskets in the past on my charcoal grill that were decent but never as tender as I would like. Pretty happy with the rub I use, always got a nice smoke ring, just never as tender as my favorite BBQ places. I thought maybe cooking one in the smoker where I can dial in the temperature more precisely would help. I'll be using a MasterBuilt digital electric smoker. Any tips from the group?
I have a Masterbuilt electric but the words "dial in the temperature more precisely and Masterbuilt, in my experience, are never in the same room... But I have done brisket on it. BLUF: use a standalone thermometer with a food probe and a smoker probe. Slowly take the brisket to 165-170, then wrap and take to 205. Wrap it in towels, blankets, etc. And put in a cooler for 2-3 hours even 4.
I'm looking to cook a large beef brisket on my smoker next week. I've done a few briskets in the past on my charcoal grill that were decent but never as tender as I would like. Pretty happy with the rub I use, always got a nice smoke ring, just never as tender as my favorite BBQ places. I thought maybe cooking one in the smoker where I can dial in the temperature more precisely would help. I'll be using a MasterBuilt digital electric smoker. Any tips from the group?

I would think that smoke is smoke, doesn't matter if it's smoldering or burning. I use a Masterbuilt electric smoker and I get a smoke ring. I just have to remember to refill the chip tray every so often because it isn't very big.
Apparently the smoke ring isn’t really caused by the smoke absorbing onto the meat, but rather by a chemical reaction within the muscle fibers of the meat and the gasses produced by smoking. 🤷‍♂️

I did a 5.25 lb flat only today. You’ve gotta inject if you’re doing a choice grade flat. They simply don’t have enough moisture/fat in them.

I inject flats with plain beef broth. Then garlic salt, pepper and steak n’ chop seasoning.

275f unwrapped for about 3 hours on the traeger. I pulled it at 165f internal. Then wrapped it in HD tin foil and in the oven for 2.5 hours at 300f. Pulled it at 205f, when it felt like butter. Rested in the microwave in a towel for 2 hours.

Use the oven after you wrap. It will save you pellets and the temp is more consistent than a smoker outside on a windy or cold day. No smoke penetrates the meat through HD tin foil, so save your pellets. I like flats, they’re easy and don’t take 2 days. I need to sack up and dial in packers soon.

DB43EFFD-0506-4359-AE1A-6DCA3554DF60.jpeg
B2EBE03E-903F-4255-A3C0-18958FE8D110.jpeg

I did a 5.25 lb flat only today. You’ve gotta inject if you’re doing a choice grade flat. They simply don’t have enough moisture/fat in them.

I inject flats with plain beef broth. Then garlic salt, pepper and steak n’ chop seasoning.

275f unwrapped for about 3 hours on the traeger. I pulled it at 165f internal. Then wrapped it in HD tin foil and in the oven for 2.5 hours at 300f. Pulled it at 205f, when it felt like butter. Rested in the microwave in a towel for 2 hours.

Use the oven after you wrap. It will save you pellets and the temp is more consistent than a smoker outside on a windy or cold day. No smoke penetrates the meat through HD tin foil, so save your pellets. I like flats, they’re easy and don’t take 2 days. I need to sack up and dial in packers soon.

View attachment 177174
View attachment 177175
That makes a lot of sense going in the oven to get through the stall. I’m assuming you could do that regardless of which cut to get through the stall with a foil wrap?

Apparently the smoke ring isn’t really caused by the smoke absorbing onto the meat, but rather by a chemical reaction within the muscle fibers of the meat and the gasses produced by smoking. 🤷‍♂️
I use the "start cold" trick on my MB to get a smoke ring. Works every time.

That makes a lot of sense going in the oven to get through the stall. I’m assuming you could do that regardless of which cut to get through the stall with a foil wrap?
Yup. I've finished everything in the oven, pork butt, Snack sticks, summer sausage, ribs etc.. works good

Back