Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Tips for brisket on a smoker

Kaitum

I'm looking to cook a large beef brisket on my smoker next week. I've done a few briskets in the past on my charcoal grill that were decent but never as tender as I would like. Pretty happy with the rub I use, always got a nice smoke ring, just never as tender as my favorite BBQ places. I thought maybe cooking one in the smoker where I can dial in the temperature more precisely would help. I'll be using a MasterBuilt digital electric smoker. Any tips from the group?

I haven't done a brisket but reaching an internal temperature of 190 degrees makes a big difference in tenderness for the Pork shoulders I've done. That is where the collagen renders.

A remote reading thermometer helps you know without opening the smoker and dropping the temp. It is normal for it to stall at 150 for an hour or more, then it climbs pretty rapidly ...like 15-30 minutes.

For super tender brisket, even in your charcoal smoker, you'll want to wrap it through the stall. It makes the brisket kind of steam itself and helps the internal fat and collagen break down much faster. Just make sure you have a good bark/color on it before you wrap or you wont get one afterwards. Wrap it at 160 or so and keep it wrapped to 180. Then unwrap and throw it back on the smoker until 190-200, whenever it's buttery smooth.

I'm assuming it's a whole brisket not just the flat?

For super tender brisket, even in your charcoal smoker, you'll want to wrap it through the stall. It makes the brisket kind of steam itself and helps the internal fat and collagen break down much faster. Just make sure you have a good bark/color on it before you wrap or you wont get one afterwards. Wrap it at 160 or so and keep it wrapped to 180. Then unwrap and throw it back on the smoker until 190-200, whenever it's buttery smooth.

I'm assuming it's a whole brisket not just the flat?

Planning on whole brisket, it'll be for a large group.

Are you ramping up your temperature from a lower starting point to higher as time goes? Or do you set temp right at 210-225 right at the start?

I haven't done a brisket but reaching an internal temperature of 190 degrees makes a big difference in tenderness for the Pork shoulders I've done. That is where the collagen renders.

A remote reading thermometer helps you know without opening the smoker and dropping the temp. It is normal for it to stall at 150 for an hour or more, then it climbs pretty rapidly ...like 15-30 minutes.
+1
f.png

Planning on whole brisket, it'll be for a large group.

Are you ramping up your temperature from a lower starting point to higher as time goes? Or do you set temp right at 210-225 right at the start?
Stay at 225.

Whether you unwrap after getting past the stall or not, one great thing to do is wrap it in butcher paper or foil and then wrap the whole thing in a bath towel and put it into a cooler once you hit your end temp. Preheat the cooler with hot water and then drain before adding the brisket. The brisket will stay hot for a LONG time in there and allowing it to rest for a couple hours before slicing to serve makes a huge difference.

Give yourself plenty of time for the brisket to get where you want it including the hour or so rest. You dont want to pull the brisket before it's ready just because everyones hungry. I've started doing mine the night before now at around 1030 and just suck it up getting up every 1.75 hrs to keep the fire going. It is soo worth it when you can pull the brisket at 2 or 3 in the afternoon and relax for a bit. Try to give yourself at least 1.5hrs per pound. And the stall is killer just keep going through it.

Right after the firebox I also have a small pan I keep filled with water to help keep moisture and I think it helps keep a more stable temp.

Student here myself: I learned to start 3 hours before I think I need to. The stall is real. Do not pull it off before at least 190 and I went 200 last time with better results. Build in time to let it rest for a couple hours as stated.

I've always done fat cap up but may try flipping to fat cap down when I wrap to get rid of some of the fat at the end or try one fat cap down. You can search for the debate between fat cap up or down. Pros on both sides of the debate.

Stay at 225.

I run up to 250 on mine ;) But I also run fat cap down (assuming heat is coming from the bottom) to keep from drying out

Whether you unwrap after getting past the stall or not, one great thing to do is wrap it in butcher paper or foil and then wrap the whole thing in a bath towel and put it into a cooler once you hit your end temp. Preheat the cooler with hot water and then drain before adding the brisket. The brisket will stay hot for a LONG time in there and allowing it to rest for a couple hours before slicing to serve makes a huge difference.

Give yourself plenty of time for the brisket to get where you want it including the hour or so rest. You dont want to pull the brisket before it's ready just because everyones hungry. I've started doing mine the night before now at around 1030 and just suck it up getting up every 1.75 hrs to keep the fire going. It is soo worth it when you can pull the brisket at 2 or 3 in the afternoon and relax for a bit. Try to give yourself at least 1.5hrs per pound. And the stall is killer just keep going through it.

Right after the firebox I also have a small pan I keep filled with water to help keep moisture and I think it helps keep a more stable temp.

Yes and yes. It will stay hot for hours. Seriously. Give yourself way more time that you think you need. I pulled my last one at around 2pm for a dinner at 6:30pm and it was still steaming hot when I started slicing. That long rest helps with tenderness too.

Student here myself: I learned to start 3 hours before I think I need to. The stall is real. Do not pull it off before at least 190 and I went 200 last time with better results. Build in time to let it rest for a couple hours as stated.

I've always done fat cap up but may try flipping to fat cap down when I wrap to get rid of some of the fat at the end or try one fat cap down. You can search for the debate between fat cap up or down. Pros on both sides of the debate.

I was solely fat cap up for a long time. But with coming up from the bottom (WSM and Pellet) I've had much better results since going fat cap down. Plus I don't have to trim it as much since a lot of the fat cooks off.

I was solely fat cap up for a long time. But with coming up from the bottom (WSM and Pellet) I've had much better results since going fat cap down. Plus I don't have to trim it as much since a lot of the fat cooks off.
I've always done fat up to supposedly "baste" the meat. The bottom does tend to get drier from the long time in the heat. I just may try the fat side down next time.

I'll be following this thread as I have not been brave enough to smoke a brisket yet. I'd really hate to ruin such a great piece of beef.
I take it that it's more of reaching a temp and not a time period of smoking?

Smoke 225 to 250 until internal temp hits 200, after that the most important step is to wrap in butchers paper and place in a cooler with towels. Wrapping it and letting rest several hours (I’d do at least 3) is probably the most crucial step other than hitting your temp to getting a tender brisket. I’ve let them rest in a cooler for up to 10 hours. Still hot when pulled out and slices like butter.

Internal temp doesn't mean much on a brisket. I've had them done anywhere from 195 - 205. It's done when a toothpick goes in effortlessly. If it comes out tough and dry, believe it or not, it probably undercooked. Like someone else said, start a couple hours earlier than you think you should. Wrapped in foil, and a towel then stuffed into a cooler, it will stay hot for hours if it gets done early. Good luck, brisket can be a tough one to get right. Honestly, I'd do 2 flats instead of a whole if its your first brisket

I'll be following this thread as I have not been brave enough to smoke a brisket yet. I'd really hate to ruin such a great piece of beef.
I take it that it's more of reaching a temp and not a time period of smoking?
Read my reply. Temp gives you an general idea, but testing it with a toothpick will determine how done it is.

Here's a write up on checking the doneness

the wrapped brisket reaches close to 195 degrees F, it is time to start probing the meat with an instant read thermometer to see if it is done, like a Thermoworks MK4 Thermapen. If the thermometer is meeting resistance as you insert it, that means the intramuscular fat hasn’t fully rendered out yet. It should feel as if you are inserting the probe into room temperature butter.

The most common feedback we give people is to be patient and wait for that soft butter like feeling. We find most people get nervous and pull at an exact temperature. The range a brisket can be done will range anywhere from 195 degrees F to 215 degrees F. Trust the probe and keep checking every 15 minutes until you get that feel.

Back