MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Tips for brisket on a smoker

Aaron Franklin of Franklin’s BBQ in Texas has great youtube vids for brisket. Hard to go wrong following that. Here is one that includes the important trimming of the fat step. And his suggested 50/50 slt and pepper for the rub is all you need.

I haven't done a brisket but reaching an internal temperature of 190 degrees makes a big difference in tenderness for the Pork shoulders I've done. That is where the collagen renders.

A remote reading thermometer helps you know without opening the smoker and dropping the temp. It is normal for it to stall at 150 for an hour or more, then it climbs pretty rapidly ...like 15-30 minutes.
I believe that collagen actually renders at around 160 degrees. Keeping your cooking temps low around 225 degrees allows the meat to slowly cook from the time it reaches your rendering temperature at 160 degrees all the way until your finished product at around 200 degrees without drying out the brisket. I completely agree that a wireless thermometer is the way to go when cooking brisket. I also like to wrap my brisket in butcher paper once it gets to 165 degrees. I use Susie Bulloch's recipe from Hey Grill, Hey.

Do you guys put anything in with the brisket when you wrap in foil? I see some guys put beef broth in or some other concoctions.
If the bark looks dry, I’ll spritz with a 1/2 and 1/2 mixture of apply juice and apple cider vinegar. You don’t want to get it too wet or it will mess up the texture of the bark.

I ended up going with 1/2 cup total of apple juice/apple cider vinegar combo for a 10.5# chunk. Hopefully that’s not too much. I guess worse case, I could quick suck some of it out through the foil and re patch it up. It’s a 1/2 of a full brisket.

I ended up going with 1/2 cup total of apple juice/apple cider vinegar combo for a 10.5# chunk. Hopefully that’s not too much. I guess worse case, I could quick suck some of it out through the foil and re patch it up. It’s a 1/2 of a full brisket.
Low and slow is the way to go for juicy brisket.
I only do 1/2 brisket myself since I'm alone, and the
brisket will last me for a week of meals.
Sandwiches, tacos, and the like. 💥

Yeah, my dad bought one and only wanted half, so this is what I had. So far it’s going well I think. I’m assuming there’s still a stall even when wrapped, just not as long. This is total amateur hour. Lol

So I wrapped it as tight as I could with 2 layers of foil. Is it normal to still stall for a while even when wrapped? It’s been at 170 for over an hour.

So I wrapped it as tight as I could with 2 layers of foil. Is it normal to still stall for a while even when wrapped? It’s been at 170 for over an hour.
Yeah, man it still takes as long as it takes. Maybe 4-5 hours in the stall depending on temp. I just looked at my last brisket cook (full packer cut, well-trimmed) which I tried at 275 (a little hotter than normal for me) in the smoker . Reached 174 and stayed there for a good while. Reached 200 5 hours later.

Would normally show pictures of my huge slab of meat, but not after Friday ;)

Do you guys put anything in with the brisket when you wrap in foil? I see some guys put beef broth in or some other concoctions.
I've done either apple juice or nothing at all. The apple juice caramelizes but adds some good flavor, without it is just as good and I've since decided I won't do it anymore. Have only ever done full packers, usually 16-18lb range.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back