MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Tipping

Dave2643

I'm going on a Wilderness elk/deer hunt intthe Frank Church. Never done this before and haven't a clue how much to tip our guide. My buddy and I will share the same guide and cook. Anybody have any experience with this?

it really depends on how the service is, just like any other tipping. the guys l grew up around 10 percent was customary, but there are a lot of factors. hope you have a great hunt.

it really depends on how the service is, just like any other tipping. the guys l grew up around 10 percent was customary, but there are a lot of factors. hope you have a great hunt.
Wondering if that would be 10% from both of us or together?

Wondering if that would be 10% from both of us or together?
Tipping is a personal factor.
If it was my buddy and I, it would be based on how much the guide vested his service and knowledge AND the personal preference % from the total $ for both of us.

Tipping is generally 10% to 15% for guides (Per person) and camp cook would be probably $100 per person or so. Obviously it would depend on quality of work each did

If you tip 10% individually based on your individual hunt price, it is the same as if you tip a combined 10% based on your combined hunt price.

I tip guides based on their effort, the length of the contracted hunt, and their knowledge and advice. I normally tip guides somewhere around 10%, but others get a bit more - or much less.

I tip camp staff based on a daily amount. A cook will get more for a 7 day hunt than a 4 day hunt, and I tip approximately what I would at a local restaurant. Others get tipped on a per day basis.

I

The only outfitted hunt I have gone on so far was in Newfoundland and my wife and I each had our own guide but only because the other hunter that was supposed to be in camp bailed. We elected to still hunt together but we were with two guides. We didn't plan on this when we brought the cash we did for tipping. Anyways, we were in the lodge for 6 nights and it by no means was a 5 star place, 1 at best but it was actually exactly what we wanted. Small log cabin with a wood stove. The cook was fabulous - funny, whitty, great ascent we kept making fun of and best of all, knew how to cook! My wife and I helped with cutting and splitting wood for heat and we made some good friends. At the end, we explained to those three that we had brought $800 CAD for potential tipping and they had all earned every bit we had. We put it out there and asked them to split it as they saw fit because we couldn't exactly break it up three ways. They told us it was way too much for how much we helped and how much effort we put into the hunt (we did all of the butchering, caping, hauling meat off the mountain etc. because its something I wanted to do). The trip costed us 12k. So the tip total wasn't 10% and it was way beyond what they expected. Point is, I think it really does depend on the situation and its really hard to give advice on this.

Ive been one a few guided hunts and the guides worked their butts off I use the 10% rule also

I don't use outfitters, but if I did I'm that guy...yep...I don't tip because I'm tired of people expecting a tip because they choose a career that doesn't supposedly pay well. This is a little different, but I walk into a cookie shop, ordered and then go to pay, they flip the screen over to me and there is a screen for a tip...I'm like WTF, I walked in up to the counter and you expect a tip for literally turning around and grabbing a cookie for me? Tips are out of hand these days....don't like the pay for the job you do...get a different job where the owner pays you a living wage,

I'm going on a Wilderness elk/deer hunt intthe Frank Church. Never done this before and haven't a clue how much to tip our guide. My buddy and I will share the same guide and cook. Anybody have any experience with this?
Why don't you go with an outfit that pays their guides what they are worth?

If this guide saves you an elk pack out from the frank and does a professional job of it I would be leaving a huge tip. You don't realize what torture he is saving you from! Haha

I believe he's doing his job! he should be paid for that by his employer. This tipping crapmhas gone way overboard. Saw a tip jar in a couple 7-11's And a coffee vendor with his own space in Portland Airport had a tip jar out. All he was selling was coffee for crying out loud! There was a resturant near here, 32 mi, that made all the waitress's put all their tip's in a bowl and at the end of the shift it was split between all of them in case some didn't do well! Knew a guy went on a guided elk hunt in Utah and found a huge elk. Guide told him he couldn't shoot it. They knew it was there and being saved for the owner of a custom fire arm manufacturer. So how much do you think you should tip? Lot of places help you with that, say's right on your bill how much you should tip based on the amount of your bill! Tipping is way out of control! I know of a gas station that is self service and if you use cash you need to go inside to pay and tip jar right there on the counter.

Back