Tipping?

MTGunner

Planning an Ibex hunt in Spain late Oct. 2022. Need opinions, advice regarding adequate tipping information. I have hunted South Africa and New Zealand and have some experience. But, nothing in regard to European tipping practices. Your thoughts and advice please. Thanks in advance for your experiences and information. MTG

I'm from the UK and hunted Spain a few years ago for Ibex. I would say in Europe the typical tip is 10%, 15% would be good, 20% would be great. Hope this helps.

Trip cost will be around $17,000 before trophy prep. That could be more than a $$$$. Shipping will be $$$$. Received at brokerage house will be $$$. Shipping to Wildlife Gallery will be $$$. Taxidermy for what I want will be $$$$....or more.
Therefore the gratuity recommended seems rather inexpensive for my last big hunting adventure abroad. Looking for adventure, culture, FOOD, the hunt itself and lasting memories. I have it on good information that “there are NO ATM machines in hell”. So, not going to cheap out on anyone. Airfare and accommodations $$$$$. Gifts...who knows. Whatever my bride will want or need for new cloths and etc. ???
Our trip is planned for Oct. 21-31, 2022 in Spain. I will be 75 years old during this hunt. I want lasting memories and to show my wife of 50 plus years a great holiday. Will keep all informed. Thank you for your input. MTG

Attachments

• DE3B12BD-368F-4471-963F-952C072C82E3.png
    DE3B12BD-368F-4471-963F-952C072C82E3.png
    3 MB · Views: 68
  • 751A58ED-B346-417D-B4F2-4EBC4BEF0484.png
    751A58ED-B346-417D-B4F2-4EBC4BEF0484.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 66
  • 1BDA3974-6662-48AB-B3BE-C03D22D9C827.jpeg
    1BDA3974-6662-48AB-B3BE-C03D22D9C827.jpeg
    452 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
I don't mean to sidetrack your thread but I was curious about a tipping question also. If your guide is also the owner/outfitter/land owner and your hunting there private family land and your paying the average cost of a hunt for the area and species, do you tip them the same as what you would tip a normal guide?

Long tail, not sure if the outfitter is the owner. We will be guided by guides, plural, in different areas in Spain. I do know that the properties are privately owned but as I understand are in different parts of Spain. I reached out to another hunter that went with the outfitter that we booked with and his recommendations seem to be fair and adequate. I believe in tipping for good quality hunts. Have had one that was a dreadful hunt and my tip reflected such.
I plan to post about our hunt that will be in October 2022. If I can be of more help please PM me. MTG

We too are looking forward to trip to Spain. This is one of my bucket list trips. Have been to Spain on a tour but did not have time to spend in the mountains. Food, adventure, culture, the hunt and the people will be great. MTG

Damn I hate tipping. Why don't they simply charge you what they think they worth, then give it their best? Do away with tipping. Ya don't tip enough and next trip the effort may go down! problem is I feel that if your working for a wage, you should give the best you have to give. I hate the idea of tipping someone just because they showed up for work! Oh, I don't use guides either.

Guy I knew years ago went in a hunt in Utah for elk. Guide he was with ran into a huge bull but wouldn't let him shoot it. He told him they were saving it for the owner of a custom rifle Co that was coming out in about a week. How much do you tip that guy?

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back