Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Tip of an iceberg showing in Michigan...bad news.

I also read it like a rant. These measures have been implemented by state governor's because Americans in general aren't taking this seriously. The White House is to blame largely for this, they've done nothing. As mass graves are being dug people are complaining about not being able to shop, fish, hunt etc. The fact that some people are extremely selfish and have no repercussions yet for their actions is alarming. Fine them heavily as they are hurting everyone globally

We can fish(non motorized) and we can turkey hunt, In Fact the state will change your LE tag if it exceeds 50 miles from your residence and allow you to have the statewide tag. Believe you me, I would love to take my boat to east traverse bay for Cisco fishing right now, but you forgot to mention the plethora of boats on the Detroit River that had 2-3-4-5 fisher people on board while the 6’ rule was in place, THOSE people who disregarded the EO for selfish reasons and for THOSE people who don’t have a moral respect for fellow humans. I dont like her policies but it is her prerogative to protect the people that can’t protect themselves or others

The Detroit river hands down caused this statewide shutdown on all motorized boats. Lines to launches could take up to 45 mins to launch your boat. If the new order would have been only Detroit River, people would be finding other places to fish (East/West Bay, UP, etc). If this were to happen and the spread of this virus in these small communities, our medical facilities couldn't handle it.

I would have liked to see "it's okay to recreate how you see fit within a 50 mile radius from your house" if contacted by a Conservation Officer or other LEO, your address on your driver's license will determine that 50 mile radius.

I also read it like a rant. These measures have been implemented by state governor's because Americans in general aren't taking this seriously. The White House is to blame largely for this, they've done nothing. As mass graves are being dug people are complaining about not being able to shop, fish, hunt etc. The fact that some people are extremely selfish and have no repercussions yet for their actions is alarming. Fine them heavily as they are hurting everyone globally
I respect your sentiment, and whether you appreciated my tone or not on the topic, the truth remains that I DID point out that I believe that limiting the movement of individuals to a certain degree in the densely populated metro Detroit area was in fact a good idea. I showcased that people 350 miles north of the infected zone ALSO cannot fish or hunt or do as they please even while having zero contact with others. From my camp in the UP I can drive in any direction for at least 10 to 15 minutes before I pass a building or another vehicle on those roads. Why then cant I drive there, stay there and put my boat in the lake down at the ramp? Though I whole heartedly disagree with your assessment of the cause of the problems at issue, I find it odd that you would excuse this governor's obvious overreach as necessary. I'd like you to make an intelligent argument for people in Delta County Michigan not being able to leave there home with a 19ft boat in tow and putting in Lakes Michigan or Superior and fishing for the day. Have at it - you tell us where we are putting lives at risk by doing this. Punishing outdoorsman living in sparsely populated rural areas because fools in the inner city just cant seem to learn to obey rules is a poor idea. Punish the many for the misdeeds of the few.
And I admire your zeal to punish those responsible for harming people globally, perhaps we could start by punishing the nation and its people who caused this whole thing in the first place?

I respect your sentiment, and whether you appreciated my tone or not on the topic, the truth remains that I DID point out that I believe that limiting the movement of individuals to a certain degree in the densely populated metro Detroit area was in fact a good idea. I showcased that people 350 miles north of the infected zone ALSO cannot fish or hunt or do as they please even while having zero contact with others. From my camp in the UP I can drive in any direction for at least 10 to 15 minutes before I pass a building or another vehicle on those roads. Why then cant I drive there, stay there and put my boat in the lake down at the ramp? Though I whole heartedly disagree with your assessment of the cause of the problems at issue, I find it odd that you would excuse this governor's obvious overreach as necessary. I'd like you to make an intelligent argument for people in Delta County Michigan not being able to leave there home with a 19ft boat in tow and putting in Lakes Michigan or Superior and fishing for the day. Have at it - you tell us where we are putting lives at risk by doing this. Punishing outdoorsman living in sparsely populated rural areas because fools in the inner city just cant seem to learn to obey rules is a poor idea. Punish the many for the misdeeds of the few.
And I admire your zeal to punish those responsible for harming people globally, perhaps we could start by punishing the nation and its people who caused this whole thing in the first place?
I 100000% agree with you about camps and rural UP living. Would you have liked to see the bridge closed down to only people deemed Essential?

The Detroit river hands down caused this statewide shutdown on all motorized boats. Lines to launches could take up to 45 mins to launch your boat. If the new order would have been only Detroit River, people would be finding other places to fish (East/West Bay, UP, etc). If this were to happen and the spread of this virus in these small communities, our medical facilities couldn't handle it.

I would have liked to see "it's okay to recreate how you see fit within a 50 mile radius from your house" if contacted by a Conservation Officer or other LEO, your address on your driver's license will determine that 50 mile radius.
I would then demand the same 50 mile radius from home for any and all medical care...UH-OH! that doesnt work does it? A resident of a state is a resident of that entire state. If that resident pays taxes to that state, he/she should have unfettered access to its waterways and public lands. Social distancing can take place along side of recreation, hunting, fishing, motorized boating. So far there is no intelligent argument supporting the punishment of fishermen in Keewenaw county for the actions of a bunch of dillweeds in Detroit.

I would then demand the same 50 mile radius from home for any and all medical care...UH-OH! that doesnt work does it? A resident of a state is a resident of that entire state. If that resident pays taxes to that state, he/she should have unfettered access to its waterways and public lands. Social distancing can take place along side of recreation, hunting, fishing, motorized boating. So far there is no intelligent argument supporting the punishment of fishermen in Keewenaw county for the actions of a bunch of dillweeds in Detroit.
Agreed. I'm not disagreeing with anything you say. Buttttt you honestly can't tell me people from Detroit wouldn't be flocking up here to get in on the coho/steelhead run.

I 100000% agree with you about camps and rural UP living. Would you have liked to see the bridge closed down to only people deemed Essential?
It would be a foolish ploy to close the Mac...a person can still get to where they want to go a just takes em longer. On a side note, closing the bridge would be a direct infringement on commerce and that is plainly illegal. That would be another foolish, foolish misstep and would no doubt have people assembled with pitchforks and torches.

Agreed. I'm not disagreeing with anything you say. Buttttt you honestly can't tell me people from Detroit wouldn't be flocking up here to get in on the coho/steelhead run.
No, you are correct particularly about covered fishing opportunities like the coho....but if they maintain social distancing, they are no less Americans and no less Michiganders. They have rights - granted, some people abuse their rights horribly...Detroit is a great example- murder is against the law there, yet there are 700 dead every year give or take a hundred from just that. Perhaps making everyone statewide stay in their homes for eternity would cure that? I'm not mocking, just saying that people have rights AND they have responsibilities.

You have a bullshit excuse and answer for everyhing. Those of us that said this was a political rant right from the start, where 100 percent correct.
I would have more respect if you concisely said that nothing at all should be shut down. At least youd be honest. Instead you fill pages on end enough bull shit that youd float away on the river you want to fish.

Last edited:
No, you are correct particularly about covered fishing opportunities like the coho....but if they maintain social distancing, they are no less Americans and no less Michiganders. They have rights - granted, some people abuse their rights horribly...Detroit is a great example- murder is against the law there, yet there are 700 dead every year give or take a hundred from just that. Perhaps making everyone statewide stay in their homes for eternity would cure that? I'm not mocking, just saying that people have rights AND they have responsibilities.
Yep I agree with you again. I do feel our rights have been infringed on. But I want to keep this out of our communities too. It's a double edged sword in my opinion.

Yep I agree with you again. I do feel our rights have been infringed on. But I want to keep this out of our communities too. It's a double edged sword in my opinion.
Yoop I agree with you 100% - what is MOST important is keeping your people healthy...the very next most important goal is the preservation of rights and freedoms. There is still no intelligent argument for banning people fishing and hunting so long as they take responsibility for themselves and maintain the distancing standards - for me this would include boat ramps, trail heads etc as well as what we already do at grocery stores, gas station etc. I do fear that people will cough/sneeze in their hand while using a gas pump near my home and leave live virus on a surface I may be forced at some point to touch (well, forced is pretty strong) but it is incumbent upon me to protect myself accordingly, and not expose myself. There will be no way to maintain interstate commerce without this virus reaching every little nook and cranny unfortunately. The size of the spread is nearly uncontrollable, only the speed can really be blunted by our very best efforts. I, like you wish we could bulletproof an area, but the truth is it wont happen and wont work no matter how pure the effort. That's not resignation, just stating how it appears. I still think that it is wring and unlawful to enact orders that limit the freedoms of those who paid for license under false pretense. Punish the many for the misdeeds of the few - it's a bad approach.

Yea, OP was a rant........along with misinformation I'm pretty sure. The ban is on motorized boats, not fishing in general. You can wade, use a canoe, jon boat, etc.

Also, I am not seeing where hunting is banned from any source besides the OP's rant........

Like it or not, hunting and fishing are privileges, not rights.

Finally, for some good news, I certainly hope this situation creates more public land advocates. You would not believe the people screeching about being shut out from public lands, who could not have cared less a few months ago.

It would be a foolish ploy to close the Mac...a person can still get to where they want to go a just takes em longer. On a side note, closing the bridge would be a direct infringement on commerce and that is plainly illegal. That would be another foolish, foolish misstep and would no doubt have people assembled with pitchforks and torches.

You are wrong on several levels. Clearly government can infringe on commerce. It is done all the time, during pandemics or not. Bars can't serve drinks 24/7. That is clearly a limit on the business they might do.

Presently the Federal government is limiting border crossings into Mexico and Canada. That surely denies US citizens from fishing in Canada.

It seems to me that a person needs to decide whether they want to be part of a solution or part of a problem. We have a virus on the loose that no one in the world has an immunity to. It kills a measurable number of the people that get it. It has the potential to overwhelm the health care system. It is presently killing more than a few doctors, nurses, and other front line workers. It is, to me, extremely selfish to ask them to help us in our time of need, then put them at increased risk with more patients because we want our life to be normal.

If we want to do right by our country, we should be doing our damndest not to catch or spread the virus. I know it sucks, it sucks for all of us.

Here we go: according to Michigan Department of Natural Resources:
We know that many of you are gearing up for spring turkey season, which begins Saturday, April 18. The hunt is still on, and we hope you’ll get the opportunity to harvest this year.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and recent executive orders aimed at protecting public health and safety, we are encouraging people to hunt close to home. This means that some of you may have turkey tags for areas that you won’t be traveling to this spring. The following information will help you get the tag you need for your spring turkey hunt.

If you have already purchased and have in your possession a 2020 spring turkey kill tag that is for an area far from home, visit Michigan.gov/HuntLocal to receive an authorization number to convert your existing tag into a Hunt 0234 tag. Hunt 0234 is a statewide hunting license valid May 1-31 for public and private lands, except public lands in Unit ZZ (southern Lower Peninsula).
Fill out the website form, click the SUBMIT button and you’ll be assigned a unique confirmation number. Write this number on your current 2020 spring turkey kill tag to convert that tag into a Hunt 0234 tag. This will allow you to hunt in your chosen hunt area closer to home.
If you were successfully drawn for a spring 2020 turkey license that is a long distance from your home and you have not already purchased a turkey license, you don't have to purchase the license that you were awarded in the drawing. Instead, you can search for leftover licenses and easily complete a purchase online - Michigan.gov/DNRLicenses.
All turkey hunting rules and regulations apply. Please see the 2020 Spring Turkey Digest or visit Michigan.gov/Turkey.
Thank you for your patience and support as we work to accommodate our valued customers and do our best to get you – safely – back in the woods!

Thus, if you post is about impacts to hunting and fishing due to Covid-19, it would be best to come armed with facts. Spreading misinformation to support an agenda is not productive

Here we go: according to Michigan Department of Natural Resources:
We know that many of you are gearing up for spring turkey season, which begins Saturday, April 18. The hunt is still on, and we hope you’ll get the opportunity to harvest this year.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and recent executive orders aimed at protecting public health and safety, we are encouraging people to hunt close to home. This means that some of you may have turkey tags for areas that you won’t be traveling to this spring. The following information will help you get the tag you need for your spring turkey hunt.

If you have already purchased and have in your possession a 2020 spring turkey kill tag that is for an area far from home, visit Michigan.gov/HuntLocal to receive an authorization number to convert your existing tag into a Hunt 0234 tag. Hunt 0234 is a statewide hunting license valid May 1-31 for public and private lands, except public lands in Unit ZZ (southern Lower Peninsula).
Fill out the website form, click the SUBMIT button and you’ll be assigned a unique confirmation number. Write this number on your current 2020 spring turkey kill tag to convert that tag into a Hunt 0234 tag. This will allow you to hunt in your chosen hunt area closer to home.
If you were successfully drawn for a spring 2020 turkey license that is a long distance from your home and you have not already purchased a turkey license, you don't have to purchase the license that you were awarded in the drawing. Instead, you can search for leftover licenses and easily complete a purchase online - Michigan.gov/DNRLicenses.
All turkey hunting rules and regulations apply. Please see the 2020 Spring Turkey Digest or visit Michigan.gov/Turkey.
Thank you for your patience and support as we work to accommodate our valued customers and do our best to get you – safely – back in the woods!

Thus, if you post is about impacts to hunting and fishing due to Covid-19, it would be best to come armed with facts. Spreading misinformation to support an agenda is not productive
This is back peddling from the Giver its initial words live on tv.. also different than the language in her EO 2020z 1 - 42. And I am pleased to see it! So how do people feel about that now? Because I just read someone here stating that hunting and fishing was demanding that life be normal and that it puts others at risk. Seems that could bes are more important...u til enough people pile up on the topic and then they took a step back. Look at all of the governors EO's and decide for yourself...I am happy that the DNR has defined this...people should know though that by accepting the statewide tag you would be forfeiting your first 10 days of hunting season...that tag offered in exchange doesnt open til May 1st.

This is back peddling from the Giver its initial words live on tv.. also different than the language in her EO 2020z 1 - 42. And I am pleased to see it! So how do people feel about that now? Because I just read someone here stating that hunting and fishing was demanding that life be normal and that it puts others at risk. Seems that could bes are more important...u til enough people pile up on the topic and then they took a step back. Look at all of the governors EO's and decide for yourself...I am happy that the DNR has defined this...people should know though that by accepting the statewide tag you would be forfeiting your first 10 days of hunting season...that tag offered in exchange doesnt open til May 1st.

Having a hard time understanding what you are saying, but it sounds like you are stating is that the governor backpedaled because people put pressure on her? If so, then I think you are just making stuff up and have no way of proving that. Regardless, I would stick to what your DNR is stating, not news and Facebook posts. You would NOT believe the amount of misinformation I am seeing on a daily basis, much of it being pushed by people with political agendas on both sides.

Also, this seems to be a good source to be up to date as well:
https://www.themeateater.com/pages/covid19-updates

You are wrong on several levels. Clearly government can infringe on commerce. It is done all the time, during pandemics or not. Bars can't serve drinks 24/7. That is clearly a limit on the business they might do.

Presently the Federal government is limiting border crossings into Mexico and Canada. That surely denies US citizens from fishing in Canada.

It seems to me that a person needs to decide whether they want to be part of a solution or part of a problem. We have a virus on the loose that no one in the world has an immunity to. It kills a measurable number of the people that get it. It has the potential to overwhelm the health care system. It is presently killing more than a few doctors, nurses, and other front line workers. It is, to me, extremely selfish to ask them to help us in our time of need, then put them at increased risk with more patients because we want our life to be normal.

If we want to do right by our country, we should be doing our damndest not to catch or spread the virus. I know it sucks, it sucks for all of us.
Still no intelligent argument for how a man alone in a 19ft boat in a giant lake (biggest on the planet) could possibly be adding to the problem. I see that turkey hunting did end up getting addressed by the DNR...wonder how that happened? The pressure of people made that happen. So if it's okay to turkey hunt, can someone PLEASE make an intelligent argument for why I cannot operate a 50hp motor in a 19 foot boat to move a few miles from a ramp to fish all by myself? Please, anyone? Turkey hunting NOW is okay, fishing from a motorized boat - not okay? In the worlds largest freshwater ocean?

Looking a little rough in Michigan... the local sheriffs taking measures into their own hands drive's me crazy, but the governor does have the authority to put these restrictions in place. I would imagine it's tough to make decisions that effect the lives of so many. Damn'd if you do damn'd if you don't situation. I'm not saying it's not frustrating, the current situation absolutely sucks.

I'm just trying to put myself in those people's shoes and to acknowledge that I don't have all the information they do and perhaps if I did it would change my thinking.
Helps keep me from getting too fired up. Good luck hope you are able to get out and chase some turkeys.

This is Wayne county... Michigan in general has a super high fatality rate compared to the rest of the nation.
1587049294700.png

Having a hard time understanding what you are saying, but it sounds like you are stating is that the governor backpedaled because people put pressure on her? If so, then I think you are just making stuff up and have no way of proving that. Regardless, I would stick to what your DNR is stating, not news and Facebook posts. You would NOT believe the amount of misinformation I am seeing on a daily basis, much of it being pushed by people with political agendas on both sides.

Also, this seems to be a good source to be up to date as well:
https://www.themeateater.com/pages/covid19-updates
Apology...I didnt proofread. Yes it is a departure from what was said when she rolled out so 40, 41, 42. No I have. Ot been getting my information from FB or Twitter ornwherever, I watched the governor speak and read her EO's. The back peddle on Turkey hunting was just that a back peddling. And FWIW when person goes to the DNR website they will see a yellow "COVID 19" tab a if one pushes that, they do not learn that hunting of turkeys is still allowed...just saying its content your have to search for because the info from the yellow box makes no mention.

Back