Timing of the Hunt

OzWildlife

I’ve drawn my second choice WY antelope tag (season opens Oct 15) and a MT big game combo tag (season opens Oct 20). I had an 85% chance at my 1st choice antelope tag in WY and missed (season opens Oct 1). My plan was to take my young daughter antelope hunting, return to Kansas, for a couple of weeks and go to MT alone with a few days of scouting planned prior to opening. Now I’m a little jammed. Good problem I guess, but I have a job too. Because of the unit I’m in for antelope I really want to hit that opener. If I spend too much time chasing the antelope, which is basically any time at all, I’ll be jammed on the MT hunt. Do I get to MT as soon as I can after WY or wait until later in the season when the elk and deer have settled in after the opener? How much later?

Later the better for deer in my opinion. But you'll probably be better earlier to mid-season for elk. Good luck either way. I'll be in Montana for archery deer and if I need too, rifle deer.

I have zero experience hunting Montana, but I have to imagine that later in the season is better. The deer will be starting to rut and hopefully snow and cold will push the elk out of the high country. Oct. 20th is a tough opening for elk as they will be going into post rut and the bulls will be heading for their hidey holes. Deer won't be rutting yet so the bigger bucks will still be hanging in the high country. Only issue with going really late in the season is that the game could be on private land at that point. I'd say whatever time you can manage off work will be fine (the more days the better!), just be conscious as to how the deer and elk act at that time of year.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newhunter2
Back