Time To Leave Montana

Not a good year to be doing the snowbird thing. Canadian government has done it's best to make it very difficult. They're now talking about a third wave of COVID. Be careful. I gotta admit the hermit lifestyle is starting to get to me. And yesterday is the first time temp has been above freezing since I have been free of quarantine two days before Christmas. A long winter.
It is a short winter for those that like snow and cross-country skiing, skijoring, mushing, snowmachining, etc.
Plus lots of winter projects like working on next winters supply of birch for the wood stoves.

Never too cold for a hike around the neighborhood, even at -40.
No such thing as bad weather, only bad clothes.
I like cold and winter....especially since when its cold, there is no wind.
Our windy days are typically in spring....
Windy.jpg

It is a short winter for those that like snow and cross-country skiing, skijoring, mushing, snowmachining, etc.
Plus lots of winter projects like working on next winters supply of birch for the wood stoves.

Never too cold for a hike around the neighborhood, even at -40.
No such thing as bad weather, only bad clothes.
I like cold and winter....especially since when its cold, there is no wind.
Our windy days are typically in spring....
View attachment 175150
Actually, I don't mind the winter at all. But besides COVID lockdowns I've been dealing with an annoying hernia and an absolutely brutal gallbladder. X-country skiing has been a no go. Rarely am I able to even walk the dogs around the block. Brutal cold windy weather has made ice fishing impossible. I'm stuck in the house ... and on the couch most days. Sucks! Can hardly wait for it to be safe to get on the table for surgery. There's a long line ahead of me unfortunately. Sigh!

Saint George, Utah was a crossroads to decide to go right or left. Of course if you go right, you go left and vice versa, the other way. California being left and Arizona right politically speaking.

We decided right and headed toward Vegas. Of course there was a critical stop at Pawn Stars pawn shop, so I went to see my old friend Rick Harrison...

C1491865-E8FB-47D7-9770-9C257CEE2167.jpegB3987B9C-CFF2-4035-9B81-639AECBE4D8E.jpeg

Saint George, Utah was a crossroads to decide to go right or left. Of course if you go right, you go left and vice versa, the other way. California being left and Arizona right politically speaking.

We decided right and headed toward Vegas. Of course there was a critical stop at Pawn Stars pawn shop, so I went to see my old friend Rick Harrison...

View attachment 175174View attachment 175175
Rick's not very talkative, is he?

No social distancing w/o masks! Fry in Hell! Oh wait... Las Vegas. Some people's dream of Hell. :)

Glad to see you're having a good time of it.

View attachment 175174View attachment 175175
Bet if you tried to sell anything he called a buddy. 😂 that shop is on my bucket list.

Rick's not very talkative, is he?

Actually he is. We talked for quite awhile before “Big Hoss” showed up and they had to check out a 57 Chevy at some location near Vegas. I told him I was keeping a log on Randy Newberg’s “Hunt Talk” forum, he said he’d never heard of “Hunt Talk” or Randy Newberg.

He did tell me that he had read the latest issue of “Rifle” Magazine and he liked the article about “Shrapnel” in it and we had a good laugh about that...

9A19A64B-FEC7-41B2-8606-BE85A8A3F6B8.jpeg2D1D1F57-92C2-49EE-A9D6-E2B9812A2968.jpeg

We passed Elon Musk’s house in the desert. He had his new electric truck hooked up to the power grid in his yard. It was impressive to see how few panels were necessary to just power one truck...

70CFEE2F-A1BF-4208-B748-9682E7E1C79E.jpeg

F21B03C5-F5D9-48A3-A4BA-4225F92F077B.jpeg

Welcome to California. It is too bad the beauty of California is hurt by their view of what a state should be. Taxes on a gallon of gas will choke your enthusiasm for traveling the great state...

61E18D6D-9D80-486D-A9C8-216CE46BA82C.jpeg

If that guy let you go upstairs he must have really liked you. Seriously not everyone gets the chance to go up. That is one of my favorite stores in the entire state. They have got a fair percentage of my money since moving back to Southern Utah. I have to believe your comment about Utah lacking for scenery has to be sarcastic as this state is well know for some of the most scenic landscapes in the entire world, not just the US. Montana is beautiful and I will always love it, but Southern Utah is no slouch when it comes to awe inspiring scenery. Now an abundance of awe inspiring big game to hunt is another story. Not a lot of any big game besides elk. Which main as well be on Mars for the probability of drawing a tag.

If that guy let you go upstairs he must have really liked you. Seriously not everyone gets the chance to go up. That is one of my favorite stores in the entire state. They have got a fair percentage of my money since moving back to Southern Utah. I have to believe your comment about Utah lacking for scenery has to be sarcastic as this state is well know for some of the most scenic landscapes in the entire world, not just the US. Montana is beautiful and I will always love it, but Southern Utah is no slouch when it comes to awe inspiring scenery. Now an abundance of awe inspiring big game to hunt is another story. Not a lot of any big game besides elk. Which main as well be on Mars for the probability of drawing a tag.

I wasn’t sure what to expect when I first talked to him, but he was a great guy and we had a lot in common with our love for old guns. I will try to see him on my way back through...

Death Valley is quite the experience. The landscape looks like something from Mars. To think there was an industry there and they worked without modern machinery and climate conditions that were extremely hot. They made borax and used water in the process, where water didn’t even exist but in rare locations.

We went to the lowest point at 282 feet below sea level. The change in altitude from coming into Death Valley was extraordinary, as the altitude signs showed how high we were and how low we got...

63950DB7-ED8D-45EE-BCF1-B4876DBEC82A.jpeg23B0EA31-843C-427F-ABAE-452BF033D4A5.jpegE1660DBE-6A53-4C30-8359-6671C623D7AC.jpeg

Not to mention the temperature differential from only a week before...

5E80F9D3-D3CF-40AD-BCA5-B4908488F0C8.jpegE79C8F15-55A9-4452-ACD8-47225B4DECF7.jpeg

Back