Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Time To Leave Montana

shrapnel

Keeping busy after you have loaded all your brass and shotgun shells becomes a bit challenging when the snow is deep and the temperature is below zero.

Gun shows aren’t happening, elk shoulder season is over, and 2 months before good gopher shooting. I decided to load up the car with some golf clubs and shorts to head south. My wife asked why I am taking the snow shovel, I told her I am tying it to the top of the car and not stopping until someone asks what that thing is on the roof.

Temperatures below zero makes it an easy start south. I made it to Utah, not much to view there, but I will be taking pictures and sending them back for the freezing Eskimos back home, as we drive aimlessly around the southern part of our great country.

2 good reasons to leave...

384FAE4B-6584-4AA3-B469-F0E87DDD436B.jpegA3C7BFD6-447F-4379-B23D-694E49672712.jpeg

That’s definitely cold it got down to -23 here which normally it never gets that cold here I was ready to head south glad that cold snap is over for us it was in the 70s today

Can't comment on Montana, but the recent cold snap in Colorado sure did mess up my well enough to make me second guess where I live... Hating the constant maintenance!

I'll hold down the fort here until you get back up north. Been blowing for 3 straight days and drifting snow out of the pastures across the road. Don't scare any of those Arizona folks with those lilly white legs of yours on the golf course.

Not a good year to be doing the snowbird thing. Canadian government has done it's best to make it very difficult. They're now talking about a third wave of COVID. Be careful. I gotta admit the hermit lifestyle is starting to get to me. And yesterday is the first time temp has been above freezing since I have been free of quarantine two days before Christmas. A long winter.

Not a good year to be doing the snowbird thing. Canadian government has done it's best to make it very difficult. They're now talking about a third wave of COVID. Be careful. I gotta admit the hermit lifestyle is starting to get to me. And yesterday is the first time temp has been above freezing since I have been free of quarantine two days before Christmas. A long winter.

I think I already got it and survived. I went to Salt Lake a year ago in January and when I got back to Montana, I was sicker than a dog. I had to go to the hospital, I couldn’t breath and was sure I had Influenza again. They did all the usual tests and declared me Influenza free.

The doctor said I had a severe upper respiratory virus and gave me a bunch of antibiotics, an inhaler and some other prescription and sent me home. I was 2 weeks getting over the symptoms and I thought my hearing was never going to come back from the congestion and pressure in my head.

It was another couple weeks to get back to 90% or better. I think it was Covid and they didn’t know what it was at that time. Since then I have been exposed 3 times that I know of and got tested with negative results.

I am living my life as I want, and am tired of the masks and fear. Everywhere you go, you can’t escape it, I just hope the “new normal” gets over soon and we can get back to our lives...

Although Utah was not much for landscapes and such, I did get a good picture of the ammo scare in Cabelas. I always look for some nice used guns in the Gun Library, but there wasn’t anything to look at. The line for ammunition was interesting, people were standing in line for ammo that wasn’t unloaded from the truck yet, to get first crack at a box of 9mm...

A48B3C32-17B8-492D-9714-DA8745E68C56.jpeg

People do that around here at stores when they figure out its coming in. The crazy thing is it could be packed anywhere in the truck and could take hours to get it unpacked and out to be sold. I can’t get myself to devote that much time to it.

I told her I am tying it to the top of the car and not stopping until someone asks what that thing is on the roof.
Haha! That's good stuff!

I say, sell the snow shovel in TX. Those peeps had a whirlwind over a couple inches! That shovel may pay for your entire golf vacation! 🤣

Have fun.

Keep us posted with your adventure! No need to post pictures of the lily white legs though. We can do without that!

While I was still in Utah, I stopped to see the Territorial capital in Fillmore. We stopped at the museum and looked around there for awhile. Lots of pictures of dead guys in the basement. The pictures didn’t make frontier women look too good. It’s a wonder anyone ever got married in those days.

Down the street was a real surprise. An old market with a sign in the window that said “Guns and Ammunition” so I had to go see. It was a veritable gold mine. There were all sorts of guns and hardly a new one to be found.

I looked at a couple 1873 Winchesters and even a Colt 1878 10 gauge shotgun. There was ammunition of all sorts in 3 different locations. I found a set of 32-40 dies, a P. O. Ackley handbook on reloading and a Lyman All American 6X scope with an adjustable objective on it. I don’t need the scope, but I bought it because it was in such great shape. I’m sure I will find someone that wants it.

The guy that owns the store is a well known gun dealer and was on the History Channel show “Pawn Stars” with a Gatling Gun that Rick was looking at buying. I talked to him about some of his stuff and how interesting it is and how scarce the stuff he has really is.

He invited me upstairs to another honey hole of stuff. My wife told me if we are going to get rid of the snow shovel, we better get moving...

B029706D-B9D2-402E-B7DD-C9C2C9B707AF.jpeg48CEBE12-4319-4EAD-B96C-D151BB6C6130.jpeg7470A37C-BB8E-4D0F-891D-06700C73AC41.jpegA5FE6616-6CA4-43CB-B356-009A922ADDD0.jpegC1E6C2FC-08C7-4960-B42A-85AF0AAB88D0.jpeg17E8435F-2BEB-4859-AAF3-A50A7F233472.jpeg34E6F1A6-4431-4A49-8C39-4ACC2CD74083.jpeg

Last edited:
I think I already got it and survived. I went to Salt Lake a year ago in January and when I got back to Montana, I was sicker than a dog. I had to go to the hospital, I couldn’t breath and was sure I had Influenza again. They did all the usual tests and declared me Influenza free.

The doctor said I had a severe upper respiratory virus and gave me a bunch of antibiotics, an inhaler and some other prescription and sent me home. I was 2 weeks getting over the symptoms and I thought my hearing was never going to come back from the congestion and pressure in my head.

It was another couple weeks to get back to 90% or better. I think it was Covid and they didn’t know what it was at that time. Since then I have been exposed 3 times that I know of and got tested with negative results.

I am living my life as I want, and am tired of the masks and fear. Everywhere you go, you can’t escape it, I just hope the “new normal” gets over soon and we can get back to our lives...
I went through the same thing last January too. It was right when Covid was just starting to hit the US and it wasn't supposed to be in our area yet, but I came down with something very flu like and I lost my taste and smell for about a month. Since then I have been very closely exposed to people who have come down with it and I have not got it. So like you I am very ready to be somewhat back to normal and done wearing a mask.

Enjoy your road trip.

I went through the same thing last January too. It was right when Covid was just starting to hit the US and it wasn't supposed to be in our area yet, but I came down with something very flu like and I lost my taste and smell for about a month. Since then I have been very closely exposed to people who have come down with it and I have not got it. So like you I am very ready to be somewhat back to normal and done wearing a mask.

Enjoy your road trip.
I may have had it as well. But if wearing a mask makes others less apprehensive, especially elderly, I don't mind the pathetically minor inconvenience of putting one on. Shows I'm a considerate person ... not a self centered jerk. I am actually more of a jerk ... but no sense in advertising it. ;)

I may have had it as well. But if wearing a mask makes others less apprehensive, especially elderly, I don't mind the pathetically minor inconvenience of putting one on. Shows I'm a considerate person ... not a self centered jerk. I am actually more of a jerk ... but no sense in advertising it. ;)
One real positive aspect of Shrapnel's trip is that he can get his "lily white legs" outdoors and avoid others, thus unmasked. The winter here is precluding that to a certain extent.

As far as masks, it's like my wife replied in the York Bar when two gals assured her they did not have Covid, so she didn't need her mask. Her reply, "The mask is not for me; it's for you; I'm from Gallatin County!" They said, "Oh".

Taking basic precautions to prevent the spread of a deadly disease to your fellow human beings isn't living fear.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jscrocca
Back