Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Tikka T3 or Browning X bolt /

I don't have an opinion on the tikka, But I have shot the x-bolt quite a bit, Shot it today in fact. I really like the x-bolt. It is very nice handling and very sleek. The accuracy is great. I can get < 1" with little effort, I really like the detachable rotary magazine as well. All in all, it is a great gun

It would depend on caliber and what bullet you intended to shoot. The 300 is not built on a true long action and is limited by the magazine. It also has a 1-11 twist barrel. On the other hand , you can modify the bolt stop and use a long action magizine to seat bullets longer and maximize others.

I have never shot an x-bolt. But I own 2 T3's. A T3 light stainless in 300win and a superlight stainless in 30-06. Both are sub 1in at 100 with factory ammo. The 06 consistently shoots 165 gr Federal Fusions into .5 or under. I can get around 1.5 at 300yds with it. Neither have failed me in any way and are excellent rifles. However, they are light, and they do have significant recoil, esp the 300. I like my rifles w/scope at about 7 lbs loaded in the field. Both are close to that and do everything I need. Ive taken 2 whitetails in 2 weeks with the 06. Im sure you would be happy with either brand as they are both quality rilfes.

I wish Browning made the X bolt in left hand synthetic stock.So far not available.

Check how they fit. The Tikka has a 1/2" shorter length of pull than the X-bolt. To me it felt even shorter than that when I tried them out.

Can't speak to the Xbolt. But have a T3. It shoots 3/4 of min out as far as you care to try with hand loads. Problem in that o/a length is now longer than what the mag will handle so i don't use the mag. I have the adjustable trigger set at just under 2 lbs. Large recoil so I put a limb saver on it. Fit on the stock is a little off for me but not enuf problem for me to try to fit a cheek pad. For an over the counter rifle I am very happy with it. Took my first elk this year across the valley at just under 700. I would buy it again

I have one complaint against at Tikka that stops me from owning one. No 3 position safety or bolt release lever. I just dont like the fact that you will be cycling live rounds through every time you unload it with the safety in the off position. I bought a Sako to to solve that problem and love it. I also just bought an X-Bolt and can tell you it looks mighty fine in the gunsafe, but beyond that I cannot comment. I wish Tikka would change that and if so, i would probably buy one next time.

I wish Browning made the X bolt in left hand synthetic stock.So far not available.

I have the x-bolt in right hand synthetic in 270wsm. I'm left eye dominant but shoot right handed rifles, so I like the x-bolt because it has the rear tang safety in the center. Right hand palm swell is less than ideal though. Not a major issue if you have big paws. And, you currently can't find replacement stocks for them. It shoots great (<1" w/ 140gr barnes tsx or 150gr Winchester ballistic silver tips). I really like the drop out box magazine but you have to make sure you click it in all the way. On my first hunt with it, I didn't get it clicked in all the way and it fell out and I lost it:mad:. Probably more my fault than the gun but be aware.

What is your opinion on these two rifles? Tikka T3 and Browning X bolt.

You might want compare the triggers on both. See how much you can adjust them and how they break at a lower setting. I think you will see a difference that might sway you one way or the other.

I have one complaint against at Tikka that stops me from owning one. No 3 position safety or bolt release lever. I just dont like the fact that you will be cycling live rounds through every time you unload it with the safety in the off position. I bought a Sako to to solve that problem and love it. I also just bought an X-Bolt and can tell you it looks mighty fine in the gunsafe, but beyond that I cannot comment. I wish Tikka would change that and if so, i would probably buy one next time.

I second MNElkNut's comment. I own a Tikka and love everything about it except the safety. My next gun will be a 7mm-08 that my kid's will likely use and, as much as I love my gun, I won't even consider a Tikka for them. Besides the issue of loading/unloading the gun with the safety off, I've learned from personal experience that the safety also can get knocked to the "fire" position very easily while busting through the thick brush of MN. I actually have learned to physically keep my thumb on the safety at all times if I have a cartridge chambered. It's a problem that I'm well aware of and keep in mind when I'm hunting. I don't worry about an accident happening when I'm carrying the gun because I'm very, very careful. I would not trust a young hunter with the gun, though. There is just too much for them to try to remember when they are starting out and mistakes can be made.

Other than that, I have nothing but great things to say about it. Light, fits me great, very nice trigger, and extremely accurate. I've thought about selling and getting a Sako but I just love the gun so much I could never get myself to do it.

You might want compare the triggers on both. See how much you can adjust them and how they break at a lower setting. I think you will see a difference that might sway you one way or the other.

I had a local gunsmith in Erie Colorado work the trigger on the x-bolt. I think it was around $140ish. He brought it down to about 2 3/4lbs I think, took what little creep out that might have been in there, changed the angle slightly. I recommend this for any rifle based on my limited experience. I had my old A-bolt in 300 winmag done this way and they both shoot way better from it.

I had a local gunsmith in Erie Colorado work the trigger on the x-bolt. I think it was around $140ish. He brought it down to about 2 3/4lbs I think, took what little creep out that might have been in there, changed the angle slightly. I recommend this for any rifle based on my limited experience. I had my old A-bolt in 300 winmag done this way and they both shoot way better from it.
I have the X-Bolt in 30-06, light 'pointable' rifle, no complaints from me.
When i bought it the trigger was so heavy, being a tight ass i adjusted the trigger down myself to 2 1/2lb.
Cheers
Richard

Why would one have to cycle the rounds through a Tikka to unload it? I've never had one in hand, but couldn't one just drop the magazine and work the bolt once to eject the one in the chamber?

I have a Remington 700 ADL. I unload it by just moving the bolt far enough to get the cartridges out of the magazine while having it tipped over to the side. The rifle, nor cartridges are ever in a firing position.

That said, I strongly prefer a safety that locks the bolt when on.

Why would one have to cycle the rounds through a Tikka to unload it? I've never had one in hand, but couldn't one just drop the magazine and work the bolt once to eject the one in the chamber? .

You are correct. But, for that split second from when the bolt closes until you return the safety to the "safe" position (and vice versa), a loaded cartridge is in the chamber ready to fire.

For a safe, experienced hunter it isn't a big deal. They will make sure the gun is pointed in a safe direction while loading and unloading (as it should be at all times.) For someone just starting out who isn't quite so familiar with guns, I'd rather they can keep the safety on throughout the loading/unloading procedure.

Howa

why is ever one asking about other riffles? aren't we supposed to be shooting Howa's? lol I was surprised at there price when I first checked on them. the old model that randy had only runs about $500 but the new one he had them make is a bit pricy at about $1350. I don't know what the change was other than making it lighter that brought the price up that much but I am sure Randy will tell us. I am looking for a new riffle for elk.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back