Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Tikka Safety- Real world experience

roberte65

Hey all, want so badly to commit to picking up the next available T3X at my local shop, but that safety makes me scratch my head.

As a primary tree stand hunter, the fact that you have to turn the safety off to work the bolt (either chambering a live round as i start the hunt, or emptying a live round when i pack up) makes me nervous.

I wanted to gather some real world experience from yall. Obviously I'm sounding extra cautious and simple gun safety practice seems to always be the solution, but it still makes me uneasy.

I have a couple of Tikkas and it doesn’t bother me. I also hunt from tree stands. I’d suggest getting a few dummy rounds to practice loading and unloading safely at home to become more comfortable with it. The writings of Col. Jeff Cooper may also be helpful to you when it comes to gun handling in general.

The hate the safety on my Tikka. I've had it come off safe more than once while busting brush here in Minnesota. I never, ever carry it with a round in the chamber unless I'm still-hunting and can keep my thumb on the safety at all times. As much as I love the gun (it's the only rifle I own) my kids will not be getting any for their first rifle.

I won't own a rifle that doesn't have a 3 position safety or bolt release button. Too many great rifles out there that do have it to settle for one that doesn't. Tikkas are great, other than that IMO.

A safety is a mechanical device and should be expected to fail.

I own one and never even thought about it until seeing some posts on this forum. I’m still not concerned at all with it

I haven't had mine come off unintentionally. I like it. It's handy and can be taken off very quietly. It's basically the same as the Remington 700.

I love the gun and it is extremely accurate! the safety is kinda weird and something to get used to, besides the factor you mentioned. When you want to take it off safe it needs to rock forward and down. I can't imagine mine coming off safe unintentionally. It's actually harder to take off safe than most of my other guns. My daughter struggles with it cuz she always tries to push it straight forward and it won't budge if you don't have the angle right. Play around with it a lot at a local retailer and see if it's a good fit for you. For me the accuracy is worth it.

Thanks for all the input! Again, my only concern was when I'm already up in a tree, needing to chamber a round with gun off safe, or un-chamber the round with gun off safe before I climb down. Though it seems with some practice, id be able to manipulate the bolt/ safety so the is only a fraction of a second where the safety is off after the live round is chambered.

Obviously it's a moot point for any western hunting i plan to do as the round would not get chambered until i intend to fire

If it worries you that much, find something else. Seems pretty simple to me.

I can't say I've ever worried much about it. I have 2 Tikkas and I've shot and hunted with them a lot of years years without incident. Like others have said, practice good muzzle discipline at all times whether the rifle is loaded or not. Keep it pointed in a safe direction when you unload, but you should be doing that anyway regardless of whether it's a 2 position or 3 position safety.

Update- Just picked up the last T3X at my local shop this morning. Safety seems very easy to manipulate immediately after closing the bolt. Also looks to be stiff enough to avoid any accidental activations unless you really bump it good.

Thanks for all the help!
Congrats on the new rifle.

I have a Tikka but I don't like the safety. It's not as safe as it could be. Be careful if you decide to hunt with a round in.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back