MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Tiger Muskies

jrabq

Tried something I hadn't done in a couple of years, went to a lake in NM where they stocked tiger muskies (for goldfish control). When I fished it in previous years it seemed the average size was stuck in the 28-30" range, with an occasional big fish caught. The stocking program was very successful at basically wiping out the goldfish, but it left an overpopulation of tiger muskies without much else to eat. Lot's of long skinny fish being caught.

Anyway, if yesterday is an indication it looks like the size bottleneck has finally been broken, I landed 5 fish at 34", 35", 36", 38", and 41". Weights were between 10-1/2 and 17-1/2 lbs. They let you keep one over 40", which I did, only the 2nd keeper I've caught at this lake. We ate a portion last night and it was very, very good.

I was hoping for a top-water bite, but the wind was blowing 15-20 mph at sunrise it was not looking like a promising day. I landed the first fish about 7:30 on a gold Rapala X-rap, 38" and ~15 lbs, so that was a good start.

P1020359red.jpg

Caught another on the X-rap and then the wind calmed down mid-morning and I got to try top-water. Within a few minutes I had a huge blowup, one really crashed the lure but no hookup. But that was enough to keep me in the game, in the next 2 hours I landed 3 more fish, including the 41"-er on Rapala skitter V10. Had several more missed strikes and a few follow lure to boat, forgot to try the "figure-8" trick.

Home with the keeper.

P1020372red.jpg

Always a challenge landing and releasing these fish without shedding some of your own blood, they seem to save some fight for when they get in the boat.

P1020378red.jpg

Awsome. Im going with a buddy on monday to target musky. First time for us both. Im excited but not going to expect much since neither of us know what were doing.

What an awesome looking fish! You're right when you say they are great eating! Would've never thought that.

Unfortunately I haven't fished Muskie in several years, but I surely remember how much fun it is. I gotta get out again sometime.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back