Throwing good money after bad

220yotekiller

I have a guy at work that has a Raptor arms (never heard of them) chambered in 270 Win. he has to have a bunch of work done to it totaling $700. The issue is that it is worth about $300 from what I have heard. He didn't ask me about it before hand or I would have steered him in another direction.
What is your spending limit when fixing guns?

$700 to fix a $300 rifle? Give it away or put it on gunbroker.

Edit:
I just looked up that rifle... NO
There are plenty of rifles in the sub $400 range that will be much better than your buddies $250 money pit. Toss it out.

Last edited:
if I feel like the rifle has sentimental value, or is worth the price to fix, it’s worth it to me. However, if it’s a new rifle that I spent 300 bucks on that doesn’t shoot or cycle worth a chit, it goes away faster than a trailer park against an EF5 Tornado

Last edited:
I have learned over the years not to comment on anyones decisions after the fact.
They only got pizzed at me for not validating their poor decision. But spending
$700 on a $300 rifle doesn't seem to make sense. Enhancements and upgrades are one thing repairs twice the value are another.

I have an old ruger tanger that I hold in high regard as it was my first bolt and I used it for 20 years. Lots of memories in that beat up wood stock. I don't use it much at all these days and it still works flawlessly. If it ever broke and I had to spend any more than a few hundred on it I would just retire it. I have other rifles I really enjoy using.

So what do you feel is an appropriate amount to spend on a rifle to start?

And continuously send it in and have repairs done to it?

Or have it customized?

Hell the stevens 200 I bought to tinker with cost me $165. I can’t even get a replacement barrel for it for double that price I’d even consider. A trigger for it would suddenly put me in the realm of your $700 and putting the brake on it has definitely pushed me over. Having the scope mounted easily tripled the value of the gun.

Now add in all that it would cost for labor….

Me thinks someone needs to look to their own and stay there.

I don't know. I bought a Sendero only to find out Remmy had belly upped and wasn't really on par anymore. After sending to a shop twice for warranty work, they sent me a different one. Before the year was out my $1300 rifle was now a $2000 rifle but its pretty decent now. A little internet searching could have steered me in the correct direction and I could have spent that money on something else. So, it is up to each of to do the due diligence thingy. For these things, people could say I was foolish. Its understandable and nothing to get worked up over.

I vaguely remember those being what Mossberg now makes. Also a lawsuit because, before Mossberg bought and refined the design, those rifles sometimes came apart when fired.

I wouldn't swear to any of the above, but I'd double check before using that rifle.

Fixing guns is a hobby separate from shooting and hunting. Spend what you please. I'd rat shoot and hunt.

I agree its his money and can do what he wants. Like having a Chevy and spending all kinds of money to try and make it run like Ford. Easier just to buy a Ford.

In all seriousness, I have learned over the years its better to get what you want, even if you have to wait for it then to try and turn something else into it. But to each is his own.

All depends on what you want. A top end barrel blank chambered/threaded/finished approaches $1k pretty fast these days and that is a common "fix". Wouldn't spend money to put one on a POS action though..

Back