Thoughts on rain gear

Most of my hunting is done around home here in NC. It's not a major problem here but last year on our wyoming trip I swore I wouldn't come back without goretex or the likes. Several days of torrential downpours made for a rough hunt. I stayed hunkered down in a PVC camo poncho for a while but it certainly was not ideal, especially for hiking. I only get one western hunt a year and would like to be able to hunt in all conditions regardless of how nasty.

Since you only do one hunt a year, I would recommend getting a solid color jacket and pant. That way you have dual purpose for back home. I have both the Kuiu Chugach and Yukon. I got both used and at a steep discount. Paid $500 total for both sets. You don't need top of the line, but something from sierra trading post or REI would be a good place to start. For the jacket, make sure it has pit zips, and has a drawcord that runs horizontally in the middle of your head. For the pant, make sure it has a full zip for the legs. You can keep your boots on when taking them on and off.

Good luck!

I guess its buy once cry once. I dont mind paying top dollar IF I can get a long life and stay completely dry. One day I plan on an Alaskan hunt which makes the sitka or kuiu sound like a good idea. I also like the Army surplus rain gear idea. Decisions decisions. I guess I could use my cheap rain gear for light rain and carry a goretex poncho for those sudden soaking rains

I guess its buy once cry once. I dont mind paying top dollar IF I can get a long life and stay completely dry. One day I plan on an Alaskan hunt which makes the sitka or kuiu sound like a good idea. I also like the Army surplus rain gear idea. Decisions decisions. I guess I could use my cheap rain gear for light rain and carry a goretex poncho for those sudden soaking rains

This is my pick... https://www.ebay.com/itm/Arcteryx-B...663494?hash=item46954e8bc6:g:2SUAAOSwNQ1c2KZB

You can get some great deals if you wait on eBay/look for deals. I have the beta which is a bit lighter and got it on sale + used a 20% coupon on REI and paid $150.

Got a set of Mad Dog that’s hot as heck. A set of Cabela’s Space Rain gear that gets me wet, not to mention snow white inside the hood.
Have Sitka now and got caught in a rain storm last night coming off the mountain, bone dry and warm. IMO, rain gear may save my life. High end is worth it.

Back