Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Archery elk gear budget allocation

Pucky Freak

I have $1100 remaining to spend on additional gear for my planned 2020 elk hunt. If this was your budget to obtain these remaining gear items, how would you allocate the money differently? This could be anything from removing an item, to upgrading a brand/model, to buying something used to spend more somewhere else. The sky is not the limit :) all must add up to $1100 or less. Thanks!

$540 Garmin inReach Explorer+, and SAT subscription. Primarily for SAT phone capability, which my wife is a fan of. I am not a heavy GPS user, although would plan to use that function for basic breadcrumb trail, reading TOPO, marking locations, not getting lost, etc. I do not own nor want a smartphone. Does anyone know if/when/where these units go on sale??

$170 Sig Sauer Kilo 1200 HT LCD rangefinder. I know the 2200 is much better, but I'm thinking it would be a bit overkill for archery.

$120 x10 340-spine arrows. I am shooting 400-spine right now, but am planning to crank my single cam bow to 70 lbs, and will need stiffer arrows for that draw weight.

$65 carnivore iii caribou game bags. I'm open to less expensive options, but also want this to be a "cry once" purchase.

$65 150 qt. Coleman cooler. This one is annoying. I'd prefer to drop $800 on a couple of high end 75 qt coolers rather than buy cheap crap. However, that severely cuts into the budget. I have a 16-hour drive beginning the moment the cooler is loaded up, so this will get the job done with some duct tape. Would plan to upgrade for future hunts. I have one decent 65 qt cooler already. I'm also open to build a cooler if someone knows how to do this.

$63 Sea to Summit Big River Dry Bag 65L black. To pair with my Slumberjack 2.0 rail hauler pack frame.

$40 Training Mask 2.0. I'm on the fence about even getting an oxygen restrictor. Physical training in advance of the trip without the device I can get to carrying 35 lbs 25 miles/day over moderately rough terrain. Add 9k of elevation, and a 85 lb pack of elk meat and this will slow me down a lot. I'm looking for an extra edge, but maybe this is a waste of time. Thoughts?

$38 TrailBuddy aluminum trekking poles. No desire to spend more here. I prefer tough, heavy poles over lightweight ones.

The Coleman coolers do fine. I have 2 of the 120 qts and no plans to upgrade. Last thing I need to worry about on a hunt is an $800 cooler getting swiped out of the truck.

Are you sure you need the sat phone? I've been able to get cell signal to at least text from some surprising locations. I've also lost signal in spots I figured I'd have it, so there's that too.

I'd forget the mask.

Really, if it were me I'd buy the pack, cooler, a rangefinder, some cheap gamebags, and spend the rest of the budget to hunt this year also. Good luck!

I think you said you were planning to hunt solo in grizz country, in which case i recommend an inreach device. I have the mini, which is smaller and cheaper and allows you to communicate through your smart phone - which I’m guessing you’d use for navigation anyway.

Agree to skip the elevation mask.

I have cheap fabric reusable game bags that work just the same as the more expensive ones. Seems like the “buy once, cry once” could be applied to a longer-range rangefinder instead if you’re planning to go on rifle hunts in the future.

Could look into renting the Garmin unit for your trip, that would free up funds to upgrade other items.
Like LCH said, your current coolers will work fine.
I purchased the Black Ovis game bags that Camofire has listed pretty regularly and I've been happy with them. Think they were $40 or $50.
Third vote for no mask. Get in the best shape you can, if possible get to your hunting area a couple days early to acclimate, and drink lots of water to stay hydrated.
I have a Sig rangefinder and highly recommend them.

Vortex Impact ($200 at optics planet)

Agree with the Coleman cooler option, where a yeti or the like really pays dividends is keeping things frozen or cold for 5+ days. If your plan is to kill and elk, drive somewhere and get block ice and then drive home there is 0 advantage to a yeti. I have a yeti 65 then a big cheap coleman, I fill the yeti with block ice before I leave, it will keep it frozen until I kill something then I split the meat and ice between the two coolers. This allows me to avoid having to find ice and/or have my first load of meat in the cooler on ice while I'm packing the rest. I got my yeti as a gift. Not sure if I would spring for one on my own... they are pretty handy so maybe.

Skip the training mask, I don't think oxygen restriction is going to be the most helpful. Per the workout thread some of the professional trainers on her assert that going super heavy in the gym in conjunction with cardio is the way to go.

Skip the training mask, I don't think oxygen restriction is going to be the most helpful. Per the workout thread some of the professional trainers on her assert that going super heavy in the gym in conjunction with cardio is the way to go.

Coach Chris (If I remember the name correctly) had a lot to say about these masks in the past, but the short of it is that their huckster garbage. They don't work.

Last edited:
+1 on skipping the mask. They don't simulate a lack of oxygen at altitude. It has to do with air density and the different altitudes. The mask can't replicate that.

I would look for a used inReach. I'm sure you'll be able to dig up a screaming deal on one with GPS capabilities. That should save a couple hundred.

The Sig Kilo 1400 bdx is a little more bang for your buck. Also looks like it's 10% off at optics planet.

Tempted to skip the game bags. Get some cheap pillow covers. Those will work just fine.

Arrows, cooler, trekking poles all good.

+1 on forgoing the mask. Worthless.

Good boots and a good pack are the two most important items IMO.

$65 carnivore iii caribou game bags. I'm open to less expensive options, but also want this to be a "cry once" purchase.

I'll plug the game bags. Probably a waste on lots of hunters, our local processor says he has tons of guys drop off meat in "gucci bags" and then never ask/want the bags back. But if you are the kinda person who will spend time maintaining your gear they will definitely last longer and are much higher quality than other options. They clean better, breath, are lighter and more compact than pillow cases. They are more sanitary, have structure so are easier to load in a pack, and last much longer, than the Alaska bags.

I did 2.5 seasons with Alaska bags and could usually get them to last a couple of hunts before they fell apart or were too gross to use again (hard to get the tiny bits of meat out of the fabric), I'm around 8 animals in on my current caribou set and they are still trucking along great.

Drop the expensive gps. You can get a used garmin montana or oregon for a cpl hundred.
The new sig's aren't very good from what I hear. A used Leupold 1000 tbr/dna will do everything you need.
The cooler will work just fine, even without the tape.
Drop the expensive dry bag and get them for 1/2 that at walmart.
Drop the mask.
Costco carbon treking poles, $25 and won't bend.

Get a factory refurb inreach...they are out there, and skip the mask...just wear a pair of running shoes out instead.

I got a 120 qt Coleman Extreme 6 off Amazon for $65. Look under their used section. It is not as sexy as a yeti but does 50% of the work and 10% of the cost. My 2 cents.

I love the sig but get the BDX series. Black Ovis bags will save a few bucks. Ditch the mask. Cooler will work great. Put the balance in your toolbox and save up for next time. Good luck!

My inreach SE can be used freestanding without a phone to send and receive messages. You can find SE models for cheap online, so I'm sure you can find explorers as well. I would ditch the sat phone in favor of the inreach. For archery shot distances you don't really need the Sig rangefinder. Find a used Leupold or something.

$540 Garmin inReach Explorer+, and SAT subscription. Primarily for SAT phone capability, which my wife is a fan of. I am not a heavy GPS user, although would plan to use that function for basic breadcrumb trail, reading TOPO, marking locations, not getting lost, etc. I do not own nor want a smartphone. Does anyone know if/when/where these units go on sale??

https://www.thegpsstore.com/Garmin-inReach-Explorer-Refurbished-P5902.aspx 350.00 same warranty as new

$170 Sig Sauer Kilo 1200 HT LCD rangefinder. I know the 2200 is much better, but I'm thinking it would be a bit overkill for archery.

Any 100.00 model will be fine for archery in my opinion, been on 5 different archery hunts, if you are gonna use for rifle someday then maybe spend the extra money but wait for a good refurbished model I got all my binos/rangefinder/camera/phone all that way , way cheaper and same warranty

$120 x10 340-spine arrows. I am shooting 400-spine right now, but am planning to crank my single cam bow to 70 lbs, and will need stiffer arrows for that draw weight.

VAP ULTRA THIN ARROWS 0.166 diameter

SYNTHETIC BAGS, COTTON GET WET AND BACTERIA GROWS ON IT, ALSO REUSEABLE IF YOU TAKE CARE OF THEM.

$65 150 qt. Coleman cooler. This one is annoying. I'd prefer to drop $800 on a couple of high end 75 qt coolers rather than buy cheap crap. However, that severely cuts into the budget. I have a 16-hour drive beginning the moment the cooler is loaded up, so this will get the job done with some duct tape. Would plan to upgrade for future hunts. I have one decent 65 qt cooler already. I'm also open to build a cooler if someone knows how to do this.

Be selective on Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace a big cooler will pop up then modify like this guy did:

I picked mine up for 30.00. Another option is what I did. Shot a bull and quartered it got it to camp. Drove to nearest Walmart, bought a 7ft freezer, put boned out elk in the freezer hooked up to generator for the night. Pulled out and stayed at hotel and plugged in the freezer on way home, sold freezer when I got home and didn’t have to mess with ice/coolers/etc.etc.

$40 Training Mask 2.0. I'm on the fence about even getting an oxygen restrictor. Physical training in advance of the trip without the device I can get to carrying 35 lbs 25 miles/day over moderately rough terrain. Add 9k of elevation, and a 85 lb pack of elk meat and this will slow me down a lot. I'm looking for an extra edge, but maybe this is a waste of time. Thoughts?

You won’t need it

Vortex Impact ($200 at optics planet)

Agree with the Coleman cooler option, where a yeti or the like really pays dividends is keeping things frozen or cold for 5+ days. If your plan is to kill and elk, drive somewhere and get block ice and then drive home there is 0 advantage to a yeti. I have a yeti 65 then a big cheap coleman, I fill the yeti with block ice before I leave, it will keep it frozen until I kill something then I split the meat and ice between the two coolers. This allows me to avoid having to find ice and/or have my first load of meat in the cooler on ice while I'm packing the rest. I got my yeti as a gift. Not sure if I would spring for one on my own... they are pretty handy so maybe.

I just bought the Vortex Impact... and believe it or not Amazon had the best deal I could find, $169!! A bunch of good reviews, and my buddies all love theirs

Thanks everyone for the input - plenty to consider. I am pleasantly surprised by the number of budget hacks.

Found and bought Coleman Extreme 6-day 150 qt cooler (still) on sale at Walmart.com for $49.99. With tax was $53.XX and 2-day free shipping. I was really surprised by the number of positive reviews for this cooler. One amazon reviewer added
pull latch 4-pack for $9.76 to keep the lids secure. Will likely buy this, and install 2 latches on each of my coolers, so I can skip the duct tape.

One thing I hadn't considered is the larger the volume of cooler, the easier it is to keep contents cold longer. So a 150 qt cheap cooler can actually perform better than x3 50 qt. expensive coolers. As long as there is room to fit the thing, it's enormous. Not to mention fully loaded it's about 325 lbs!

Yeah, I learned as a kid that you put those big coolers in the truck, then load them with meat and ice...never fill them on the ground, then have to load them. My dad still thinks that was funny...

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back