MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Thoughts on rain gear

338 win mag

I'm looking to possibly purchase some rain gear for the upcoming fall. What are you guys thoughts. I've had the cheap packable rain gear from Academy Sports for a couple years and it's fine for light rain or a sudden shower but thats about it. I've looked at Sitka and Kuiu but I honestly can't see spending almost $700. Also thought about the camo frog togs. Just want some quality that keeps me DRY. What other good options are out there.

I second the Army surplus gear, works great and doesn't break the bank like the sitka will. That's all I use in the Lower 48, back when I was in Alaska all I would use was Helly Hansen, but that's a different kind of rain than anything I have seen in the midwest haha

I wear green Helly Hansen rain gear. I've had it for 5 years and it has yet to have a leak or rip. Well worth every penny.

I have First Lites lightweight system. It's pretty good, but I don't think you need to spend that much. I've only used it a handful of times hunting (but when I needed it, I NEEDED it). I hear the Cabela's stuff is supposed to be pretty good for the price. Unless you're bowhunting, I wouldn't worry about camo too much. Even if you're bowhunting, it may not be the best idea to shoot an animal that you'll need to blood trail in the rain. I'm a big fan of Outdoor Research gear for all of my outdoor pursuits.

I have been using Cabellas Rain Suede for a few years,15 maybe. Lightweight, keeps you pretty dry, dries quick , fairly quite , fairly inexpensive.
Have heavy duty goretex I wore for work as Park Ranger & every day carry in the truck still. 20 years old at least & I will stay dry.
Have Helly Hanson for when it gets soaking wet,but it does not breath & you get soaked working in it,from the inside...
Always have a military ripstop poncho in bottom of my pack for emergencies.

I'm looking to possibly purchase some rain gear for the upcoming fall. What are you guys thoughts. I've had the cheap packable rain gear from Academy Sports for a couple years and it's fine for light rain or a sudden shower but thats about it. I've looked at Sitka and Kuiu but I honestly can't see spending almost $700. Also thought about the camo frog togs. Just want some quality that keeps me DRY. What other good options are out there.
I think an argument could be made that good rain gear is one of your best friends on a hunt. That being said, I use gore Tex shells (top and bottom) by wild things tactical. It’s really quiet, form fitting, and basically bullet proof. Pretty spendy but I like it much more than the gore Tex layers put out by popular hunting companies. I avoid Sitka simply because you are paying way more for a brand name. There are many alternatives with superior quality and lower price tag. Something to consider is that outside of archery camouflage importance isn’t huge. Find a solid goretex layer on earth tones and you’ll be set.

If you are going to be hiking in the rain on any kind of a regular basis, the expensive breathable rain gear is worth every penny.

If you are going to hunker down and wait out the rain, the cheap stuff works fine. If you are going to get rained on maybe once every other year you might get away with the cheap stuff but it sure can be annoying.

You can Kuiu for less than 700 unless you get the Yukon line.

I went through lots of different brands. Spent thousands over the years. Then I bought Kuiu. Have to different sets. One pakable ( Chuchach- spellin) and the Yukon. Best money ever spent.

Where are you hunting? My recommendation is different for Idaho versus Alaska.

And huge variability just in Idaho. I grew up in the great north Idaho rain forest and high quality rain gear was a must. Now that I’m down south, I see no reason why some cheap, lightweight rain gear wouldn’t get me by.

And huge variability just in Idaho. I grew up in the great north Idaho rain forest and high quality rain gear was a must. Now that I’m down south, I see no reason why some cheap, lightweight rain gear wouldn’t get me by.

Also really depends on what your doing, sitting in a stand, standing around the fire at camp bitching about the rain, walking up a trail, bushwhacking through alders and actually hunting.

If you aren’t actually going out to do stuff in the rain buy whatever, if your not active or in AK/WA/OR get grundens/Helly Hansen if you are the kinda person who is gonna actually hike a mountain in the rain get Arcteryx.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Russell-Ou...196848?hash=item2156ae7df0:g:7ksAAOSwDEBcOQCU

This listing is secondhand as it is not made anymore. However, I have owned this same coat except in 2XL for about 20 years and have worn about 200 times. No wear, no fading. Breathable, waterproof, quiet, soft, no shimmer. Entire thing is recycled polyester. No this is not a joke; this is the best item of camo I have ever owned. I use it as a shell over wool winter coat, or in cool weather. Wear rain or shine. Three flaws - 1. it is a "dark timber" pattern so doesn't work in cornfields, cattails, desert. 2. Thorns, and burs snag on it easily, causing noise 3. Parachute cord on lower hem does not cinch enough, so I tore it out and installed a new one.

Most of the animals I have killed I was wearing this coat.

Helly Hansen Impertech, is my go to for Alaska. Backpacking, Marmot PreCip raingear

Kuiu is for the rich and Elite guy that all belong to SCI and all try to impress each other with there gear. Us normal guys are not going on a 25k hunt in the tundra and don't need that over priced stuff.It is nice stuff but not needed by 98% of hunters. Even here in AZ. we get rain on several hunts but don't need to spend KUIU type money........BOB!

Kuiu is for the rich and Elite guy that all belong to SCI and all try to impress each other with there gear. Us normal guys are not going on a 25k hunt in the tundra and don't need that over priced stuff.It is nice stuff but not needed by 98% of hunters. Even here in AZ. we get rain on several hunts but don't need to spend KUIU type money........BOB!
Well Bob, I am not rich, dont belong to SCI, never been on a 25K hunt. But I know what rain is. I live in Oregon. Not all rain is created equal. Hunters who think they know what wet weather is come with me. Until you hunt the coast of Oregon or WA Olympic Penninsula, you don't know. You'll sell your first born to raise money to buy whatever the best rain gear is.

No offense to your thoughts,I am sure many will agree, they just happen to be fair weather hunters. Just wanted to share my experience.

Most of my hunting is done around home here in NC. It's not a major problem here but last year on our wyoming trip I swore I wouldn't come back without goretex or the likes. Several days of torrential downpours made for a rough hunt. I stayed hunkered down in a PVC camo poncho for a while but it certainly was not ideal, especially for hiking. I only get one western hunt a year and would like to be able to hunt in all conditions regardless of how nasty.

Rain gear is worth every penny if you live in Alaska/Washington, or anywhere NW where you could spend days or weeks in water. But for me its hard to justify 5-700 dollars for a rain shield because I don't hunt anywhere in that kind of constant rain usually. I think marmot makes some of the best lower priced rain gear that you can find very reasonable on sale or even used. A couple years ago we had a couple days in Wyoming that was nothing but rain and snow and the marmot did the job well enough. If I ever do get to go to Alaska I probably would splurge on a fancy kuiu set and then just turn around and sell it online as they seem to only decrease in value about 10% once used, lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back