Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Thoughts on rain gear

Most of my hunting is done around home here in NC. It's not a major problem here but last year on our wyoming trip I swore I wouldn't come back without goretex or the likes. Several days of torrential downpours made for a rough hunt. I stayed hunkered down in a PVC camo poncho for a while but it certainly was not ideal, especially for hiking. I only get one western hunt a year and would like to be able to hunt in all conditions regardless of how nasty.

Since you only do one hunt a year, I would recommend getting a solid color jacket and pant. That way you have dual purpose for back home. I have both the Kuiu Chugach and Yukon. I got both used and at a steep discount. Paid $500 total for both sets. You don't need top of the line, but something from sierra trading post or REI would be a good place to start. For the jacket, make sure it has pit zips, and has a drawcord that runs horizontally in the middle of your head. For the pant, make sure it has a full zip for the legs. You can keep your boots on when taking them on and off.

Good luck!

I guess its buy once cry once. I dont mind paying top dollar IF I can get a long life and stay completely dry. One day I plan on an Alaskan hunt which makes the sitka or kuiu sound like a good idea. I also like the Army surplus rain gear idea. Decisions decisions. I guess I could use my cheap rain gear for light rain and carry a goretex poncho for those sudden soaking rains

I guess its buy once cry once. I dont mind paying top dollar IF I can get a long life and stay completely dry. One day I plan on an Alaskan hunt which makes the sitka or kuiu sound like a good idea. I also like the Army surplus rain gear idea. Decisions decisions. I guess I could use my cheap rain gear for light rain and carry a goretex poncho for those sudden soaking rains

This is my pick... https://www.ebay.com/itm/Arcteryx-B...663494?hash=item46954e8bc6:g:2SUAAOSwNQ1c2KZB

You can get some great deals if you wait on eBay/look for deals. I have the beta which is a bit lighter and got it on sale + used a 20% coupon on REI and paid $150.

Got a set of Mad Dog that’s hot as heck. A set of Cabela’s Space Rain gear that gets me wet, not to mention snow white inside the hood.
Have Sitka now and got caught in a rain storm last night coming off the mountain, bone dry and warm. IMO, rain gear may save my life. High end is worth it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back