Archery elk gear budget allocation

You could save some money by buying only a half dozen arrows instead of ten. I seldom, if ever buy more than a half dozen at a time.

Personally I would go with a 300 spine arrow, especially for Elk. The heavier gpi for the 300’s will help anyway especially if you have a shorter draw length.

Plenty of options to save money here. IF you are hunting in an area that is mostly public land get an ~$150 smart phone (used or motorola) don't even activate it, but get on wifi and download the google maps for your hunt area. The GPS will work without cell-phone signal. In addition, you can rent a sat phone for ~ $150 or less for a week (what I did two years ago when I was totally solo).
I wouldn't even bother with a range finder. Elk are bigger than deer. I run three pins and I can usually tell the difference between 0-35yds, 35-50, and 50-65.
Definitely don't get ripped off by buying an oxygen mask. These things don't work in increase the oxygen carrying capacity of your blood. Coming from sea-level, just be in the best shape you can and know to take it slow and drink lots of water the first couple of days. I got a pair of aluminum trekking poles from Walmart for ~ $17.
Get a set of some nice binos with the money I just saved you :)

Last edited:
If you are willing to go a little smaller and a different color you can save about 30 bucks on a dry bag.

I did not know there was such rational consideration to budget archery elk gear...
Actually, my wife's laser eyes keep me somewhat in check, usually to return said, "excess".

The oxygen mask does not have any affect on elevation because of pressure but a mask will strengthen your diaphragm making heavy breathing a little easier, so they r not a complete waste but I would not Spend anymore than $30 because even the $50-$60 ones break after a lot of use.

The in reach is a must if going solo, $500 is worth survival, I own one and I know my areas very well but one broken leg and u r not crawling out of the areas I hunt without help. Buy once, cry once on survival and pack out gear for sure, cheap cooler is better way to cut costs.

I would say the inReach is well worth it. I bought a 64s to take to WY and borrowed an inReach. The 64s is now for sale and the funds will be rolled in to a new inReach. With your wife on board it’s a no brainer. A good used one might be a good way to go.

I nixed the oxygen mask to spend extra on a rangefinder. I went with Vortex Ranger 1000. I found one in "like new" condition on Ebay for $202. I like the illuminated (red) display, simple operation, and transferable warranty. Tested and am pleased with angle compensation and low-light performance. Does fine with ranging non-reflective surfaces out to about 450 yards.

Planning to get the refurbished Garmin inReach to save $100 so I can spend that elsewhere.

Back