Caribou Gear

Thoughts on OTC Colorado

Robinhood21

I've recently become obsessed with Western Hunting. (or I guess the thought of it :confused:) Being born and raised in Kansas my whole life, whitetail bow hunting is about all I know/done. The last 5 or 6 years I have researched off and on. I wasn't real serious the first couple years but the last few I have really started getting the itch. The only Western hunting I've done was 2 DIY pronghorn hunts in Wyoming. I know... not the most challenging hunt but now I am a pronghorn Junkie. Such a blast and what a cool animal!

Anyways... I always start out picking a unit for a DIY OTC elk hunt in Colorado & I start the research. EVERY TIME I pick a unit there seems to be comments like "good luck fighting off the other hunters" or "that unit is so overrated & overrun with other hunters" After the same comment after comments I usually get discouraged and put it off another year.

Well, I've realized that I've just wasted years of experience and Western hunting because of this and have come to the conclusion that if I'm really going to get serious about this I need to just GO! If I'm not fortunate to put down an elk at least I've gained some experience in Elk country.

I've backpacked Colorado near Meeker a few times and the one thing I do know is I need to get myself in shape before the hunt. Especially getting my feet and legs ready for heavy packs and unforgivable terrain.

F-it, I'm just going to do my best at picking a unit and go. Here's to 2018 :hump:

Happy hunting!

You're on the right track with just picking a unit and going. It's hard to find a place in colorado not "overrun" with orange. Just don't forget the saying "90% of the elk are killed by 10% of the hunters". Get there early, scout, hike way off trail, get in the nasty stuff, and pay attention to the weather. Carefully making a game plan and being ready for changes while you're out there based off stuff like that should yield results. Hanging out near Meeker ain't a bad idea.

You're not the only one that loves Wyoming prairie goats, ain't no shame in that!

Last edited:
Good stuff, thanks TOGIE

You're on the right track with just picking a unit and going. It's hard to find a place in colorado not "overrun" with orange. Just don't forget the saying "90% of the elk are killed by 10% of the hunters". Get there early, scout, hike way off trail, get in the nasty stuff, and pay attention to the weather. Carefully making a game plan and being ready for changes while you're out there based off stuff like that should yield results. Hanging out near Meeker ain't a bad idea.

You're not the only one that loves Wyoming prairie goats, ain't no shame in that, hard or not.

You've got the right idea! Just dive right in. You'll never get over the learning curve if you don't go and keep going. I went on my first elk hunt this year, and it was a huge learning experience as expected. I didn't harvest anything despite seeing lots of elk, but I had a great time because I went with realistic expectations. Good luck out there Robinhood21!

Meeker is not a bad place, just keep in mind the Archery tags in the Flattops there are not OTC.

OTC in CO is tough, but guys get it done every year.

I hunted just north of there in Craig, CO this year. I heard the same things about OTC tags. Everyone said dont waste your time, its not worth it, no elk will be in the area that time of year. We spent one day scouting and found Elk in two different areas. Rushed to the store after we watched them bed and bought an OTC Elk tag. Opening morning we had one on the ground within a couple hours of legal shooting. I'm traveling from NC so I probably wouldnt have made the trip for just an OTC tag since I truly do think it is weather dependant so hard to plan for one. If I was closer I'd probably scout until I found them then buy the tag.

Now for the hunters, the comments are spot on that there are a ton of other hunters around. We saw hundreds of people daily driving the roads. However if you're willing to get off the road and hike a little you can easily get away from them. I sat on a ridge line watching the Elk through my spotter as my Mom stalked in on them about a mile in. She literally crossed two canyons to close the distance gaining and losing about 500ft elevation. From my position, I could see about 10 other hunters in every direction but they were all staying on roads or trails and the Elk were in a giant bowl. The best part was listening to the radio and all the other hunters complain when Mom shot hers. They couldnt believe we beat them to "their" spot, went deeper than they did, and were just overall pissed that Mom killed the bull they were watching. Keep in mind she is a 59 year old women that lives at 200ft elevation and isnt in great shape so it wouldn't have taken much effort for them to beat her back there. She just moved slow and steady and took often breaks but no one made the effort that she did.

Same thing happened a couple days later when we got her deer. We went to a walk in area and walked in about 2 miles. We harvested a mule deer that morning and packed it out. The only other hunters we saw the entire morning were sitting about 50-100 yrds from the parking lot. Other than that, no a single person as far as we could see even using my spotter.

I actually just read the thread you made a couple days ago. You guys really did great out there! Congrats on your hunt and thanks for the advise!

My plan is to backpack in as far in as possible.

Happy hunting!

I hunted just north of there in Craig, CO this year. I heard the same things about OTC tags. Everyone said dont waste your time, its not worth it, no elk will be in the area that time of year. We spent one day scouting and found Elk in two different areas. Rushed to the store after we watched them bed and bought an OTC Elk tag. Opening morning we had one on the ground within a couple hours of legal shooting. I'm traveling from NC so I probably wouldnt have made the trip for just an OTC tag since I truly do think it is weather dependant so hard to plan for one. If I was closer I'd probably scout until I found them then buy the tag.

Now for the hunters, the comments are spot on that there are a ton of other hunters around. We saw hundreds of people daily driving the roads. However if you're willing to get off the road and hike a little you can easily get away from them. I sat on a ridge line watching the Elk through my spotter as my Mom stalked in on them about a mile in. She literally crossed two canyons to close the distance gaining and losing about 500ft elevation. From my position, I could see about 10 other hunters in every direction but they were all staying on roads or trails and the Elk were in a giant bowl. The best part was listening to the radio and all the other hunters complain when Mom shot hers. They couldnt believe we beat them to "their" spot, went deeper than they did, and were just overall pissed that Mom killed the bull they were watching. Keep in mind she is a 59 year old women that lives at 200ft elevation and isnt in great shape so it wouldn't have taken much effort for them to beat her back there. She just moved slow and steady and took often breaks but no one made the effort that she did.

Same thing happened a couple days later when we got her deer. We went to a walk in area and walked in about 2 miles. We harvested a mule deer that morning and packed it out. The only other hunters we saw the entire morning were sitting about 50-100 yrds from the parking lot. Other than that, no a single person as far as we could see even using my spotter.

You ever come out this way again let me know. I will pay dearly for you to bring me some neeses liver pudding. People out here don't know what they're missing Lol

Born,raised, hunted my whole life in Colorado. You need to at least put in for a preference point, dont know your age, but that way, you can still get an OTC tag, start accumulating points, and once you hunt out here, you may want to switch to muzzle loader, try for a cow tag, or if young enough, in 20 years, maybe draw a quality unit tag. I quit rifle hunting 25 years ago because of the increase of hunters, and now, even with archery, it is getting overcrowded. These guys commenting have it right, scout, and be equipped to get off the beaten paths further than everyone else. Prolly the most important thing to have is a good flashlight or headlamp, and beat everyone else out of camp. I hate to beat the same drum every time i post on here, but the facts are that the Colorado elk herds are in a decline while the hunter numbers are on the increase. As I talk to local hunters, hear the hunt stories all the way from archery to the last rifle season, the stories are always the same, where are the elk. Ten years ago, on any given archery hunt, we would of worked 5 bulls, now days you have to cover 10 miles to find one. I have went with Colorado wildlife biologists on aerial game counts and for every 100 head counted they add another 100 head, to compensate for the ones not seen. When i read the forcasts for Colorado hunting in magazines, on the Colorado Parks and Rec site, i just shake my head. And i empathize with you out of stater's, for it is a major investment to come do a hunt. It is a money game and our state legislature controls their revenue, so you know what that means. Locally, some of us, are talking about starting an organization to gain some exposure and have a voice with the powers that be, hopefully getting some accountability on where the herds are, and where they need to be. We would like to see them go to a total draw, decrease the bear population, and i think any of us would rather have a quality hunt every other year instead of putting out money, effort and time just to maybe get a glimpse of an elk. I do not want to discourage you, because there are still elk to be found, and half of my hunting is done just so i can get away into these mountains. First season is a draw, either sex, five days, and usually takes a preference point or two, and is the one i would go for if i was rifle hunting. Less hunters and the elk arent ran deep yet, and you will still have some bulls bugling. Second season is 9 days and has less hunters than 3rd season. Third season is the crazy one, with the most hunters, because everyone is hoping for snow to herd up the elk and push them down to more open country. If it storms, it can be good, but it looks like the city's just moved in to the mountains. Fourth season is also a draw, 5 days, cow, or either sex, and this would be my second choice, but it also takes a few points. As i lay this out for you, you may see part of the problem. These animals are hunted for two solid months, with just two weeks between archery and first rifle, but even then, a local native american tribe hunts then. It would be money well spent to take a short summer trip to do some scouting. Pick an area and scout it. I live in the southwest part of the state and i know these San Juan Mountains like the back of my hand, but my son and i are so frustrated with the lack of bulls here that we are searching for some new areas. And even then, we have relegated ourselves to the fact that we are going to have to pack back in a ways to get away from humans and get amongst the elk. I wish you luck, but more importantly, embrace the experience, for in a crazy, demanding country, the simplicity of standing at timberline gazing on Gods creation, is true food for the soul. And that is priceless.

Awesome write up! I really appreciate your honesty and good information. I love to bowhunt as that's what I primarily do but I'm not apposed to rifle hunting at all. It's all about having fun for me and it's fun regardless of the weapon used.

Thanks sundance!

Born,raised, hunted my whole life in Colorado. You need to at least put in for a preference point, dont know your age, but that way, you can still get an OTC tag, start accumulating points, and once you hunt out here, you may want to switch to muzzle loader, try for a cow tag, or if young enough, in 20 years, maybe draw a quality unit tag. I quit rifle hunting 25 years ago because of the increase of hunters, and now, even with archery, it is getting overcrowded. These guys commenting have it right, scout, and be equipped to get off the beaten paths further than everyone else. Prolly the most important thing to have is a good flashlight or headlamp, and beat everyone else out of camp. I hate to beat the same drum every time i post on here, but the facts are that the Colorado elk herds are in a decline while the hunter numbers are on the increase. As I talk to local hunters, hear the hunt stories all the way from archery to the last rifle season, the stories are always the same, where are the elk. Ten years ago, on any given archery hunt, we would of worked 5 bulls, now days you have to cover 10 miles to find one. I have went with Colorado wildlife biologists on aerial game counts and for every 100 head counted they add another 100 head, to compensate for the ones not seen. When i read the forcasts for Colorado hunting in magazines, on the Colorado Parks and Rec site, i just shake my head. And i empathize with you out of stater's, for it is a major investment to come do a hunt. It is a money game and our state legislature controls their revenue, so you know what that means. Locally, some of us, are talking about starting an organization to gain some exposure and have a voice with the powers that be, hopefully getting some accountability on where the herds are, and where they need to be. We would like to see them go to a total draw, decrease the bear population, and i think any of us would rather have a quality hunt every other year instead of putting out money, effort and time just to maybe get a glimpse of an elk. I do not want to discourage you, because there are still elk to be found, and half of my hunting is done just so i can get away into these mountains. First season is a draw, either sex, five days, and usually takes a preference point or two, and is the one i would go for if i was rifle hunting. Less hunters and the elk arent ran deep yet, and you will still have some bulls bugling. Second season is 9 days and has less hunters than 3rd season. Third season is the crazy one, with the most hunters, because everyone is hoping for snow to herd up the elk and push them down to more open country. If it storms, it can be good, but it looks like the city's just moved in to the mountains. Fourth season is also a draw, 5 days, cow, or either sex, and this would be my second choice, but it also takes a few points. As i lay this out for you, you may see part of the problem. These animals are hunted for two solid months, with just two weeks between archery and first rifle, but even then, a local native american tribe hunts then. It would be money well spent to take a short summer trip to do some scouting. Pick an area and scout it. I live in the southwest part of the state and i know these San Juan Mountains like the back of my hand, but my son and i are so frustrated with the lack of bulls here that we are searching for some new areas. And even then, we have relegated ourselves to the fact that we are going to have to pack back in a ways to get away from humans and get amongst the elk. I wish you luck, but more importantly, embrace the experience, for in a crazy, demanding country, the simplicity of standing at timberline gazing on Gods creation, is true food for the soul. And that is priceless.

I actually just read the thread you made a couple days ago. You guys really did great out there! Congrats on your hunt and thanks for the advise!

My plan is to backpack in as far in as possible.

Happy hunting!

Thanks and good luck to you on your upcoming trip! I have to sit out of the western hunts this year but am building points to go back next year and hopefully most after that.

Just do it. If the masses were killing all the elk, there'd be no elk left. They're there, you just have to be willing to work harder than your competition to get at them. That includes hiking farther, into nasty stuff, etc. It also includes good research ahead of time. But, in my (limited) experience with Colorado, don't work too hard. If you bust your butt to get 6 miles back in some wilderness area, you might just find that there are tons of hunters again, they just rode in with an outfitter. Try just looking 2-3 miles back;-)

I don't have any personal experience in OTC units in CO but I can relay some info from a buddy that has been going for about 10 years. The pressure will be different from year to year. You may hunt an area one year with minimal pressure, bu the next its like a zoo. But that is OTC hunting everywhere.

IMO pic a unit you think you will like, have several back up plans, try to outsmart the other hunters or use them to your advantage. Let them push elk to you.

I've been to Colorado the last 2 years on 3rd season deer tags, in units that were OTC for elk. From what I've seen Colorado has phenomenal opportunity for elk, and tons of elk around. Maybe it has gone downhill from 10-20 years ago, but I would say the OTC tags in Colorado are much better than Montana when it comes to mature bulls. There were plenty of guys driving the roads, and a few people getting 1-2 miles away, but after 2 miles I had the mountain to myself. If i was planning a hunt for OTC elk in CO, I would skip opening weekend and spend the rest of the season hunting. I don't know how many elk I seen this year, but it was easily 400-500 and I could have shot multiple bulls several different times. I wouldn't hesitate to hold out for a nice 6 point.

P.S. Buy a spotting scope. I don't know if I seen a single elk hunter that actually got up on a vantage point and spotted. The elk were all over the place and most guys had zero clue.

P.S.S. Get out of bed before daylight. I had a couple guys whining to me about not being able to find a cow elk to shoot....one morning they 4 cows 150 yards from their tent, but they were still sleeping.

Good luck and enjoy it!

Let me expound on archery for you. The days of calling in bulls in are few and far between. There is so much thrown at them now that sometimes a bugle pushes them away, not towards you. The last 5 years have been relegated to location bugles and the some cow calls, maybe a few grunts, growls, some branch breaking, rubbing, as you get closer. You have to really get their curiosity up, and try and mimic exactly what a moving cluster of elk sound like. Once you get in that 100-150 yard range, then it is a game of trying to lure him in, or put the sneak on him if he is not moving. Again, the headlamp is a must, gotta be 1-2 miles back in before daylight. Next most important is windicator, as these mountain thermals are a pita. We used to concentrate most of our vacation towards the last of season, but the last 5 years we have had more luck towards the first of season. You will hear more elk towards the end just because the rut is firing up but by that time the majority of the bulls are call shy. After the muzzleloader season, it get really tough, and they will lead you on some merry chases. At the first, the bulls are rubbed off and in the "beat up on a tree mode", getting to know who their neighbors are, and are innocent to the hoards of fake elk that are getting ready to pounce on them. My son had a 320 6x6 on the ground by 7 am the first morning last year. We had him bugling about 30 minutes before daylight, had to circle around him because of the wind and got to within about 75 yards of him, and with a high note drop off with my diaphragm, he steamrolled in to about 30 yards to where my son had to pull a quicky behind his shoulder. Three keys made it happen, out early, used the wind, and lastly and most important, it had showered that night some and it was cooler, and these animals are affected more by the weather than a gaggle of turkeys. So, you and the weather channel need to become good friends, or NOAA, cause the weather can make or break a hunt. And yes, I cuss them out every year, because they are invariably wrong one way or the other. So now we focus more on the first of season and it has paid off. I also would make sure and have a good GPS, and would get a good HUNT map. Mark the wallows, trails, places where you have seen rubs. Be prepared to be mobile, because we have hunted drainages where there was no sign, good area, was good in the past, but not now. You may have to go several miles up or down country and keep expanding until you find the beasts. Last but not least, if you want to increase your chances by 50%, get in shape, ten mile hikes are a norm, and when you climb 1500 feet, on a sidehill 90% of the time, and ballerina dancing through downfall, you will push every muscle you have to its limits, especially the lungs and heart. Have a good daypack, capability to carry water for the day, and bare essentials to get you through a night if you get stuck back in somewhere. Kudo's that you are looking at archery. I wouldn't trade one day of stick throwing for 10 days of rifle. You play with one bull, just one, and you will see why.

Once again sundance, your gratitude doesn't go unnoticed. Love all the information, gets me pumped! Good luck to you this year!

Let me expound on archery for you. The days of calling in bulls in are few and far between. There is so much thrown at them now that sometimes a bugle pushes them away, not towards you. The last 5 years have been relegated to location bugles and the some cow calls, maybe a few grunts, growls, some branch breaking, rubbing, as you get closer. You have to really get their curiosity up, and try and mimic exactly what a moving cluster of elk sound like. Once you get in that 100-150 yard range, then it is a game of trying to lure him in, or put the sneak on him if he is not moving. Again, the headlamp is a must, gotta be 1-2 miles back in before daylight. Next most important is windicator, as these mountain thermals are a pita. We used to concentrate most of our vacation towards the last of season, but the last 5 years we have had more luck towards the first of season. You will hear more elk towards the end just because the rut is firing up but by that time the majority of the bulls are call shy. After the muzzleloader season, it get really tough, and they will lead you on some merry chases. At the first, the bulls are rubbed off and in the "beat up on a tree mode", getting to know who their neighbors are, and are innocent to the hoards of fake elk that are getting ready to pounce on them. My son had a 320 6x6 on the ground by 7 am the first morning last year. We had him bugling about 30 minutes before daylight, had to circle around him because of the wind and got to within about 75 yards of him, and with a high note drop off with my diaphragm, he steamrolled in to about 30 yards to where my son had to pull a quicky behind his shoulder. Three keys made it happen, out early, used the wind, and lastly and most important, it had showered that night some and it was cooler, and these animals are affected more by the weather than a gaggle of turkeys. So, you and the weather channel need to become good friends, or NOAA, cause the weather can make or break a hunt. And yes, I cuss them out every year, because they are invariably wrong one way or the other. So now we focus more on the first of season and it has paid off. I also would make sure and have a good GPS, and would get a good HUNT map. Mark the wallows, trails, places where you have seen rubs. Be prepared to be mobile, because we have hunted drainages where there was no sign, good area, was good in the past, but not now. You may have to go several miles up or down country and keep expanding until you find the beasts. Last but not least, if you want to increase your chances by 50%, get in shape, ten mile hikes are a norm, and when you climb 1500 feet, on a sidehill 90% of the time, and ballerina dancing through downfall, you will push every muscle you have to its limits, especially the lungs and heart. Have a good daypack, capability to carry water for the day, and bare essentials to get you through a night if you get stuck back in somewhere. Kudo's that you are looking at archery. I wouldn't trade one day of stick throwing for 10 days of rifle. You play with one bull, just one, and you will see why.

Went for the first time last year. Was in the arid area between Rifle and Meeker and west of the highway that runs between them. We saw elk but never got closer than 150 yards of them. Another hunter busted a herd of free-range cattle that ran straight in their direction. Busted them out of the canyon. We walked anywhere between 3 to 10 miles a day. Most of the walking was to get the wind in our favor after spotting a bull the night before or hearing one bugle that morning. One lesson we learned a little too late was that bulls loved to answer my bugle, but they quickly gathered the heard and booked it out of the area. I think they had just been pressure so much by the opener of black powder that we really didn't stand a chance hunting them by locate calling. But we learned that too late. This year we are going to be there opening day and see if we can get in them. Won't get to hear any bugleing really but that's ok. I'd rather have an elk on the ground than hear them and not get close to them. The weather was crazy when we were there too. Usually dry they say, but hell it rained on us a lot. Even had a crazy hail storm that tore the canopy off the side of the 5th Wheel. (that was a $2000 repair). Wear the absolute best quality boots you can afford. Man did we walk. And side hill for so many miles. All the advice Sundance is giving you is so good. So so good.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Killcarp2
Back