This will affect my hunting

One consideration if fall hunting occurs is what if a hunter gets COVID-19 in the backcountry?
It would be pretty tough to hike back out, and for some the disease may eventually require hospitalization....

Hopefully, by then there will be a widespread test to determine if a person has been exposed to COVID-19.
Struggling with this same issue at work since we're in the woods a ton. If ever there were those that needed an extra nudge to purchase an inReach...this may be it.

One consideration if fall hunting occurs is what if a hunter gets COVID-19 in the backcountry?
The first few days of infection could have no symptoms, then in the backcountry sickness starts.
It would be pretty tough to hike back out, and for some the disease may eventually require hospitalization....

Hopefully, by then there will be a widespread test to determine if a person has been exposed to COVID-19.
Yeah and on top of it, no way to know if a family member gets real sick without two way communication. Sure they could get sick anytime, but not with something where you can't drop kids off at a friends house...
I hunt alone almost all the time anyway, but most people do not and this is just an added hazard that's mostly out of a person's control. I honestly think not that many people have thought ahead about this aspect of it yet, which leads me to believe that even if apps are up or not down much, participation in some kinds of hunts will be way down when it comes down to it.

The first few days of infection could have no symptoms, then in the backcountry sickness starts.
Giardia could do the same but I’m still going and drinking the water along the way.
Giardia will crush you no matter how young and fit you are, while nearly half of people that get coronavirus are asymptomatic entirely.

I agree with Buzz that this could be the thing some people need to get an inreach that they should have had years ago. Everybodycan afford one. Used ones are about 40-70% cheaper than new ones on eBay. It’s one of the best $120 I've ever spent
I got some kind of stomach bug once after returning from a sheep hunt. It wasn’t giardia (didn’t last long enough) but I would have been in a world of literal shit if this had happened 15 miles from the truck. I passed out walking to the bathroom. No way I could have got back to the trailhead.

Last edited:
Struggling with this same issue at work since we're in the woods a ton. If ever there were those that needed an extra nudge to purchase an inReach...this may be it.
The Inreach is hands down one of the best if not the best investment I have ever made in gear! A no brainer in my mind and a relatively inexpensive piece of equipment that's one hell of an insurance policy. Plus gives the wife piece of mind as well.

I am applying for a couple out of state tags. If I draw and they change the rules and I get a refund it won't hurt my feelings. I am doing it just hoping for the best. I would not hold a grudge at any state for shutting down nonresident tag sales this year. If I do venture west I will take it as seriously as I do now but I don't trust others to do the same. for the most part I am a social distance hunter anyway and would take it to the next level. But I have also cut my apps in half.. at least half

Giardia could do the same but I’m still going and drinking the water along the way.
Giardia will crush you no matter how young and fit you are, while nearly half of people that get coronavirus are asymptomatic entirely.

I agree with Buzz that this could be the thing some people need to get an inreach that they should have had years ago. Everybodycan afford one. Used ones are about 40-70% cheaper than new ones on eBay. It’s one of the best $120 I've ever spent
I got some kind of stomach bug once after returning from a sheep hunt. It wasn’t giardia (didn’t last long enough) but I would have been in a world of literal shit if this had happened 15 miles from the truck. I passed out walking to the bathroom. No way I could have got back to the trailhead.

But if there is a widespread test available, a hunter would know whether he/she likely has the antibodies because of having COVID-19 in the past.

The Inreach is hands down one of the best if not the best investment I have ever made in gear! A no brainer in my mind and a relatively inexpensive piece of equipment that's one hell of an insurance policy. Plus gives the wife piece of mind as well.
Its a marriage saver for sure.

Tv resets the day you go into the backcountry for 10 days and your wife doesn’t know the Netflix password....

Easy. Kill a CWD critter and die from that before the Rona gets you.

I’ve put in for my son and myself in for WY (resident) Moose, Deer, and Antelope. Will try for one of the big bull units and see what happens. But we always will have General elk and Deer to fall back on as long as the seasons remain intact.
Hoping more people bought points for moose this year instead of applying for the tag.

Though points don’t apply for residents Elk/Deer I hope people just do General instead of the draw tags. But my expectation is most Wyoming people finances permitting still apply and will utilize all Mother Nature has to offer.

I have a lifetime Idaho license and was planning on a whitetail hunt in November,
my guess is I will substitute that with an Alaskan sitka blacktail deer hunt that I can drive/boat to in Prince William Sound.

Already purchased an Idaho nonresident tag which will be a donation to Idaho Fish & Game.

It is hard to see right now, but I think ultimately this will be positive for the future.

I think history has proven that times of struggle and trouble, we “reset” and truly see what is important to us. Right now, that is our health, our family and friends, and our income.

When we come out of this, we will be thankful for the time we had with our families, and look forward to getting back to hunting, fishing, and camping. Maybe we won’t be as selfish as we were before, maybe we’ll see those “other” hunters in a different light.

Right now, I’m thankful for what I have, focused on the now, not too worried about things I can’t control. I’m also sending for every tag I can afford, and more this year.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back