This one wasn’t as easy as the last one

DRS

Went out again yesterday afternoon even though a cold front was blowing through and the wind was really up. Where I hunt is a mixture of ag fields and woods. I thought turkeys might be hanging out on the field edges along the down wind side of the woods. Right off saw a hen and then about a 1/2 mile farther saw 3 gobblers at about 300 yds. Worked my was around and got to 125 yds. Then I could see they were with several hens. I yelped and cutt to them but they didn’t even look my way. I don’t know if it was because of the wind or them being focused on the hens. They kept moving on down the field edge and I thought I knew where they were going. I back tracked and made a 3/4 mile loop through the woods to try to get in front of them. I got near the edge and saw 2 fans about 80 yds away. I eased down next to a tree and waited for them to work my way. It took about 30 minutes but they eventually came into range. 2 gobblers were doing all the strutting and I wanted to kill one of them. However there was a lot of vines and briars along the edge of the field and I only had a few shooting lanes. After the whole flock had been under 30 yds for 5 minutes two of the gobblers acted like they had made me out. So I took a shot at the non strutting gobbler which was the only shot I had. I figured it was now or never. He’s not as big as the last one but a fine turkey anyway. Now both my NC tags are filled.

Last edited:
GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back