This is your property classification and appraisal notice

The notices came in my mail today and Saturday. Thankfully Mrs. Fin is in Oregon helping her elderly mother, preventing me from being her proxy for vocal protest at the Courthouse. At least, until she comes home in a week or two.

If these numbers don't change when I appeal the new assessment, their estimates indicate that I will see huge increases in my property taxes due to Gallatin County. Not only my house (estimate increase to $8,618), but a spare lot (estimate to $1,882) and two office buildings (estimate to $31,460 total ) are all subject to huge increases. Yet, my tenants' rent has only increased by 3%.

What's that total? Hmmm, $41,960 per year.

But hey, I'll be getting an income tax rebate to offset maybe one month of the property tax increase.

For me, the appeal of these tax increases is mostly the time and hassle to do so. I'll do it myself. Yet for many, they have to pay folks like me and others to contest those taxes for them.

I doubt the counties and elected officials have any idea how many appeals they will be getting. When it increases similar to the rate of inflation, not too much worry. When it increases 50-60%, they have to realize they're gonna get flooded with appeals.

Taxes on what we own in Phillips county look to be going up $24. I'll spend more than that at the Malta DQ on a fishing trip.

Like @Schaaf said, it's a pretty sad commentary that our elected leaders wasted ninety days fighting about the cultural and social issues of the day. Heaven forbid they place any priority on the tangible issues that make a difference.

The best hope for us is that because most every property in the county will see large assessed value increases, the millage formulas used to determine the actual tax owed will result in taxes being lower than what they estimate on the notices they sent.

I’ll be in line protesting mine as well.Mine stand to go up nearly 3k from last year.

• Wow
Reactions: DFS
Might be less trips for the western Montana boys to come raid eastern Montana. Times are tough and I will quit complaining about my increase it seemed excessive but it nothing like you guys are seeing. Pick your region might be looking pretty good for mule deer. 😂

My property supposedly went up in value almost 50% also. Good if you're a Real Estate agent, or if you can sell and travel the world like Kung Fu. The Kung Fu reference might be too dated. 😀

Reactions: DFS
Kinda crazy, april 27 2023 it appraised through the bank for $294,000. Had to to get it appraised. Was looking to do some home improvements. Jumped $72,000 in 2 months. Or is $294,000 what it is actual worth to the bank. And $366,000 for county tax purposes.
If you have an appraisal that’s that recent, you absolutely should be able to appeal it based on that. The state doesn’t know jack on how to appraise properties.

If you have an appraisal that’s that recent, you absolutely should be able to appeal it based on that. The state doesn’t know jack on how to appraise properties.
If the state would pay for the values they appraise them at there would be a max exodus to wyoming.

Damn I thought ours here in WI where bad.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230703_220410_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230703_220410_Chrome.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 35
The result of sending very unserious people to Helena and giving them a super majority. More concerned with culture war issues than mitigating a record breaking property tax appraisal.
I occasionally miss living in Montana, but wayyyy more often I'm so glad I moved to Wyoming. Montana politics are an absolute joke, glad all the move-ins left the high taxes and liberal agenda behind.

Montana chose it's politicians, sounds like a lot of buyers remorse.

While it’s always fun to blame your state legislators you likely need to look closer to home for who is to blame for property valuation and property tax rates. The good news is it’s easier to hold local officials accountable.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back