Thinking of rechambering my 7mag.

Preacher shaner

I have never rechambered any thing in my life. I have a 7mag on a 98 action. Love the gun but I have a 6.5 and a 3006 I am shooting 165 partitions and I want it to be right in the middle of of the three. I can only go up to 175 in the 7mm. So frist
Is it worth it to change over on the 98 action.
What caliber should I go with.
What barrel company for price and quality is beat

If you have the action, like it, and want a new barrel and chambering, there’s no reason not to do it.

As far as chamberings I don’t what you mean when you say “middle of the three”. So I can’t help you decide. You mentioned weights of bullets and diameters. But there’s not just a whole lot of bore options between .264 and .30. Other than .284. So you could go with a .277 in a 270. If you meant middle of the caliber or between the bullet weights. But honestly, 7mm are some the best projectiles on the market. I’d be slow to move away from a 7mm bore

If you meant something else, clarifying will help us help you.

There are lots of excellent 7mm chamberings if you handload. Going to a short action in your long action wouldn’t be prudent. But you could do like a 280AI if you wanted lower recoil. But you’d need a different bolt. Again not sure what the 7RM is not doing for you.

As far as barrels, there are many good options. Shilen and McGowen and others make prefits for the 98 if this is a project you want to tackle yourself. If you’re having a smith do the work, then the sky is the limit for barrel options. I’d talk to him about his recommendations.

Sorry not much help. I’m a big fan of 7mm rifles, so I’d be interested to see if you go in that direction. I wish you the best of luck in the project.

I’m with Aggie. I’m not sure what to recommend other than stick with what you’ve got. If the recoil bothers you, maybe try a different stock or rebarrel to 7x57 aka .275 Rigby.

I don’t think I’d spend the money to put a carbon wrapped barrel on a Mauser....

Mauser can be a crap shoot as far as “target” accuracy goes. I’d just look at one of the many pre fits.

Caliber? Grass is always greener

I am currently in the process of re barreling a model 70 from a 7mm mag into a 7mm/300 mag. Gains some fps over the standard 7mm and 300 win mag brass is easy to come by. Not as fast as the 28 nosler or 7 stw but the brass is cheaper and available. Depends if you reload or not. If you are not a reloader then I would stick with the 7mm mag. Also not sure where you came up with the 175 gr limit for bullets. There are multiple 180 gr and 195/197 gr bullets as well. Just need the proper twist rate to stabilize them.
For barrels I have used Lilja, Bartlein and Proof barrels, each have proven their accuracy.

I will only have 3 hunting rifles. This is my rule not my wife's.
Antlope up to mule deer size is my 6.5 creedmoor 130 acb.
My 3006 mule deer to elk. 165 partitions.
My 7 Mag my big gun. Moose and some day big bear. I can only get a 175 gr Nosler. So now I a boring person I don't reload my self I have it done so I get a load made up and I will get 3 or 400 made up and never need it again. So I am wanting my big gun to do any big work I need . And I don't know if the 7mag is the one for it
I hope that helps with what I am thinking

Not a thing wrong with the 175gr Partition out of a 7mm Rem Mag!

If your looking for a heavier bullet, you can shoot 200+gr bullets in your 06'.

I'm shooting 150gr Nosler ABLR in my Rem Mag for the most part. I don't feel that i don't have enough gun for anything in Norte Americana.

I’m not entirely certain what you’re getting at, but if you want to re-barrel a Mauser that’s already set up for a 7 Mag, I’d recommend a 30-338 Win or a 338 Win. I’d also recommend buying a good blank and having a good smith set it up.

As for the barrel, I would say Douglas is a fine choice for a hunting rifle. I know a couple guys that have used Shaw barrels (a bit less expensive) and liked them well enough.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wyohandscold
Back