Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Thinking about getting a UTV

ChrisC

Does anyone have a Kubota UTV? I'm thinking of getting one for snowplowing my driveway, some projects around the yard, stuff like that. I'm between two models, the RTV-500 ($9,500) and the RTV-XG850SL-AS ($11,599). Both prices without plow. Don't want to spend anymore than the 850. Any thoughts or experiences with either would be appreciated!

Thank you,
Chris

We purchased a '14 Yamaha Viking 700 new, while viewing Polaris Rangers, etc.
Depending on your snow load, actually... If you have the interest and funds, go with 700+cc.

Electric power steering, 4x4 + locked 4x4, 4500 winch, liquid cooled, dump bin, options all valuable for UTV use.

We reside in one of the NW MT snow belts and get exceptionally more snow than other areas and have a dirt driveway that's about 200 yards long.
I'm repairing my snow plow annually. I've taken it on a rugged UTV trail several miles to camp/hunt among many other treks. It's been fantastic.

One aspect I can say over the six years owning; Our UTV has held up to everything we've thrown at it and then some without a single failure.

Kubota has a good name and a frequent UTV for industrial transport use. I'm sure it would hold up fine and they have some great commercial attachments as well.

Best with your decision.

My dad has had Polaris Rangers for 10+ years and absolutely loves them. He rides trails with a group and they have all brands. We also use it for food plots, hunting, etc. He would not think about trying another brand based on his experiences. I just purchased a Ranger 570 full size and love it. But I only have 29 miles on it, so you can't really use that as much experience! Kubota has a good reputation in general, so I am sure they would be fine.

If you can spend the extra cash to go with the 850, I'd recommend the bigger machine. I've only have experience with the Polaris Ranger and Honda Pioneer, but I think the Kubota would be a good machine. In the Rangers and Pioneers I've used the smaller versions as well as their 1000cc machines and always felt the bigger engine was worth the upgrade.

I have a Honda Pioneer 1000-5. If you’re going to plow with it in heavy snow, I’d definitely recommend the bigger cc engine.

I have been looking very closely at the Honda pioneer. my folks have one and they are approaching 7000 miles on it without an issue. There are online forums where folks are getting crazy amounts of miles out of their pioneers. Definitely more of a hybrid utility/OHV Vehicle, But still capable on most nasty roads.

Without a bunch of bells and whistles, the pioneers are very affordable and durable and are built on a proven engine.

You could likely find a brand new 700cc in your price range. My dad plows his driveway with a 500 cc trail model, and it’s one third-mile long driveway with a couple hundred feet of elevation gain. He just plows downhill when it’s deep.

I have a 2015 Pioneer 500 that I bought for around the small farm here & to plow my long driveway. It does good in most snow conditions but if it gets to deep or drifts to much I am done. It is still stock but has been reliable. Use it to spray pasture & mow when I don't have livestock. Also works good dragging dead livestock out of the pasture so the butcher can work in a cleaner environment.

I’ve beat the piss out of a Kubota underground at Stillwater Mine. Nothing holds up down there but they are a hell of a lot better machines than the Polaris when it comes to longevity on things like bearings, axles etc.

I have a RTV 1100. It is a 2010 I bought lightly used in 2013 for $10,500 or so. Absolutely no problems so far. I especially like being in a cab and out of the dust and weather. I drive it around the cabin neighborhood much more than my RZR. Its major shortcoming is that it is very slow.

Honda p1000 guy, awesome machine got almost 6k miles on mine. If your plowing geta bigger motor, i run a kfi plow and is a great setup. If you can find a used honda in your prive range you will not reget it! Nice having a tramsmission not a belt.

I have a RTV 1100. It is a 2010 I bought lightly used in 2013 for $10,500 or so. Absolutely no problems so far. I especially like being in a cab and out of the dust and weather. I drive it around the cabin neighborhood much more than my RZR. Its major shortcoming is that it is very slow.

I'd like to check out the used market but I havent been able to find many of them used within a reasonable distance from where I live. As far as speed goes, the 850 is their fastest model I believe, going about 40mph (vs. 25 for their other ones).

FIL bought a Kubota Diesel about 6-7 years ago to use on the farm for various tasks. Great for hauling firewood and feed, no problems that I know of mechanically with it, but like clam mentioned they are slow, and the ride is horrible off road. I haven’t driven a gas powered one so maybe they’re set up a little differently, but if you’re thinking of using it for more than plowing or yard chores I would look at one of the other manufacturers.

I’ve beat the piss out of a Kubota underground at Stillwater Mine. Nothing holds up down there but they are a hell of a lot better machines than the Polaris when it comes to longevity on things like bearings, axles etc.
This^. Used to use the same ones when I worked underground. There not quite as fast or sporty as the polaris, honda, etc. They are built WAY better and I own a polaris ranger. If your using it for work I would go with the kubota. Only reason I went with the polaris is I bought it from a friend and it was too good of a deal to pass up.

I'd like to check out the used market but I havent been able to find many of them used within a reasonable distance from where I live. As far as speed goes, the 850 is their fastest model I believe, going about 40mph (vs. 25 for their other ones).
Honda Pioneer 1000 tops out around 65mph. Not that I’d suggest driving it that fast.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back