Logistics of flying to a hunt location?

I've heard of this and seen it online. My biggest concern would be getting it back without antlers being broken or simply in one piece. I know people do it so it must work out ok.

I'd assume it needs to be cleaned out too, which is another issue of being 2000 miles from home with no boiler/pressure washer. Or would wrapping it up in something suffice for the trip?

You pretty much have to check with the air line on this. Some allow intact antlers to be shipped, most do not. If its not a record book animal, simply split the skull plate, protect the points wrap up & ship. NO air carrier will accept antlers that do not have the points wrapped so they will not puncture other baggage/freight. NO carrier will accept a skull (plate) that isn't wrapped enough that nothing can leak out (on to other baggage). Usually a plastic wrap (contractor bag or something similar) and duct tape will get the job done. Make sure that no sharp edges will poke through the plastic enroute or you might find that the package was trashed (thrown away) by the baggage handlers.
If the air carrier won't take bare antlers, most can be boxed and shipped air freight, but be aware that this will get expensive, particularly for elk, caribou or moose antlers.

Last edited:
UPS will make a custom box and ship antlers. I've done that a couple times. Had to split at skull plate, but its an option.

UPS will make a custom box and ship antlers. I've done that a couple times. Had to split at skull plate, but its an option.

There are various freight "expediters" that will also package and ship items like antlers for you. UPS will most likely be the most expensive option for shipping you will find. They will also (along with FedX) get it to you the quickest. Just remember, when dealing with "freight", the larger and lighter weight a package is, the more it will cost to ship it. If you're going to box antlers to ship via freight, it would make financial sense to add as much to the package as you can (clothes, gear, etc) anything that you won't need immediately when you get home.

flying from Indiana to Colorado

elk tag $700
round trip flight $700 plus $100 baggage fees
truck rental (and it was a beeaaaaater) from local guide - $350
gas for truck while there $150
room and board for 7 days 6 nights $1500
meat processing - $400
meat shipping to Indiana - $450
elk mount - $1100
elk mount shipping to Indiana - $450

total for myself - $5900 + food we ate for the week

could have saved on transportation 3 times if I had driven

flying from Indiana to Colorado

elk tag $700
round trip flight $700 plus $100 baggage fees
truck rental (and it was a beeaaaaater) from local guide - $350
gas for truck while there $150
room and board for 7 days 6 nights $1500
meat processing - $400
meat shipping to Indiana - $450
elk mount - $1100
elk mount shipping to Indiana - $450

total for myself - $5900 + food we ate for the week

could have saved on transportation 3 times if I had driven

$700 and luggage fees? Dang, I could fly 3 people round trip with no luggage fee for that. If that was the best I could do, then I would drive, too.

Myself and my wife are flying into Denver next year from Jacksonville or Orlando Florida. We looked at the logistics of a 30 plus hour drive each way and it is just too much to bear. We are planning on renting a 4 wheel drive truck and a chainsaw then heading north to Wyoming for 2 weeks for a combo elk and mule deer archery hunt if drawn, we do have PP fro both. We have weighed it out both ways and for under 250 per person we can fly round trip. Probably $800 for the rental truck. Gas, tags, lodging and food are a wash either way. If we stumble upon a deer or elk that has a death wish then we will have to ship that home as well.

I hate flying !! Air Canada lost my rifle on one trip. United lost my rifle on another trip. Both were later recovered. Two coolers of elk and deer meat were broken into. Both coolers arrived at my destination empty. A kid throw up on me once. American Airlines lost my bag with all my clothes - later recovered. I watched my cooler fall off a baggage trailer in Atlanta - elk meat all over the tarmac. On another flight with United, coming back from NM, my brand new, best of the best, LL Bean double rifle case was destroyed. My advice : DRIVE !!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back