Caribou Gear Tarp

Logistics of flying to a hunt location?

MITCHMO

So at the risk of asking a silly question, can any of you offer any advice on the obvious logistical challenges to flying into a state for elk hunting? I'd like to try a new place next year and I just won't have the time to spend several days getting there and getting Back. I'm weighing my options and have been thinking about flying, packing my gear in a big cooler, then flying back with as much meat as possible and paying the overage. Since I plan on shooting a 450 inch bull, not sure how a guy would get that rocking chair home either. I do to need to get 100% of the meat home, I'd be happy to find a place to donate some as well. All thoughts are appreciated.

I've done both, and I would really recommend just driving. I don't know where you plan on hunting, but it looks like Traverse City is around 20-24 hours from good elk hunting. By the time you jump through all the hoops of flying, I doubt you'll go from your house to your hunting camp in much less time than that.

If you drive, you can take your own rig, save money, bring as much gear as you want, and it makes getting everything home so much more simple. I either get a head start after work on Friday, stop to sleep, then finish it up Saturday.. Or leave early in the morning and get to my hunting area late that night. The more times you do it, the easier it gets.

I have driven, never flown. I am too worried about all of my gear making to the destination in one piece. Or worse not getting there at all, then you have to scramble to borrow (or buy) another gun, new optics, or whatever gets misplaced. Then you have the problem of getting 400 pounds of meat home. Excess baggage fees on airlines are getting crazy, and overnight shipping via UPS, FedEx, etc isn't cheap either (price of that alone will probably pay for your driving expenses including a motel along the way).
I enjoy the drive (24 hours to Chama) except for traversing Dallas/Ft. Worth. It also helps that I am gradually gaining elevation along the way, instead of getting on a plane at sea level and getting off at Albuquerque or Denver at a high elevation. Takes time for this old body to acclimate to the higher elevation.

Hire your nephew/cousin/brother to drive your loaded PU out to the closest airport and then fly in and jump in your PU. Hunt for a week and pay him to drive your rig back home.

I have a buddy that flies airlines to where we hunt, rents a car, then stops and shops at some sporting goods store to buy stuff he was not able to fly with.

By the time he wastes at airports, delayed flights, lost luggage, waiting for car rentals, arguing about the rental car, shopping, and then driving, it would actually be quicker, and less stress to drive.

This year, he punched his tags early, then had to try and spend time changing flights earlier. If he had just driven, he could have been on the road, could have been exploring, could have been fishing, etc....

Ok I'm on board. Makes sense. I'll just have to find my wife a boyfriend so gets off my back about being gone too long. I forgot about the elevation part as well. There is a big difference when flying in vs driving. Hmmmm just heard a stick crack, better stop this post here.

Haha 7 pointer rubbing a tree right now. Never used to sit middle of the day. Keep seeing bucks around 2:30. Sorry off track

Obviously driving is the better option, but for me being from Maine it really isn't a possibility. And yes, I've tried to get my wife to move, but that hasn't worked.

It just takes a lot of planning. I wouldn't go for elk without some sort of connection. Or at least until you had the system down. That way if you need to leave something behind for whatever reason, at least you have a backup option for help. Comforted me anyway! Deer/antelope are much easier IMO, so it would be easier to do solo.

I flew with Southwest. 2 free checked bags, and I think it's like $75/bag for the next 2. Max of 50 pounds each. I brought some of those soft coolers that don't weigh 10 pounds themselves and are easy to fold/bring. Figure that would be roughly 170-180 pounds of meat at best for $150. Then ship your gear back via UPS. Antlers were the biggest question I had. You can fly with them. I would have probably split the skull in 2, folded it against each other and shipped it back. Haven't had experience doing that, but I've seen it done. Hopefully someone that has tried that can chime in.

Obviously it's not ideal, but it is what it is. If possible, I think doing that with an antelope/deer would be good practice for something biggest, like an elk. At least with a deer you're probably talking 100lbs meat tops and obviously not as big/bulky to ship.

Last edited:
talk to people at work, friends, and any other social outings; you may find a friend of a friend that drives out to idaho every year or two to go hunting pay them to take some of your gear fly out rent a car pick up your gear do your hunt then send your gear/meat back with the others

or invite some friends then either split the drive between a few people, or if a few are retired or have more time off (aka single) have them drive your gear out then fly out all hunt together and you either drive back or fly back

Drive. You can get to about anywhere from MI to the West in 2 days of hard driving. Rent a vehicle if you prefer but...get one with unlimited miles.

Why not fly? Is faster. Or is it? Muzzleloader hunting. Oops, can't fly with some of your shooting supplies. Will spend a day flying. So you have saved a day over driving for 2 days on the way to hunt camp. Or have you?

Say you start driving on Day 1 then drive on Day 2. If drive 12 hours a day then you can get to about anywhere in the West that has decent elk hunting. Start hunting Day 3 when drive. You lost 1 day of hunting on the front end, right? That is bad, right? Now on the back end, you need to start driving at sunset on Day 7 so lost another day of hunting compared to flying. Or did you?

Let's walk through a scenario. Assume you take vacation for 5 work days and the 2 days of weekend on each side, so 9 days for your adventure, doorstep to doorstep.

If fly, you fly out on Day 1 and home on Day 9. You can hunt Days 2 through 8. Seven Days. Or can you? Are you carrying a whole elk on the plane? No, so need to process the bull fully prior to getting on the plane. Perhaps you can't really hunt on Day 8 so you need to stop sundown on Day 7 so can process the elk and freeze solid before flight on Day 9. So you really hunt 6 days.

If you drive you can hunt Day 3-7 so 5 days. You only give up one day. What do you get back for giving up one day of hunting? Take more gear since you are not trying to figure out how to pack all you need in a couple of 50 pound suitcases plus a gun or bow case. No worries about lost luggage. Can bring your favorite pillow and your nice camera and even that nifty tripod. You can take the elk home to process after minimal processing, perhaps bone out the meat and get on ice. Have the local guy in MI process or do at your own home on Day 9 or 10. What if you knock down a moose on 2nd day of hunting which is Day 4 when drive? You are driving home early. Have you dealt with trying to change a plane ticket lately? Especially if are in a remote part of the West where the puddle hopper you need to get started flying home had 1 flight a day and 30 seats.

I only fly to a hunt if am bring my rifle, optics and clothes. In other words, am hunting with family or I hired a guide. I prefer to drive, even if have to rent a truck. Alamo rents 4WD trucks and unlimited miles which is what I rented and drove on my return trip to Idaho recently.

Flying is a bit like fool's gold. I often finish a hunt before the last day so I am back with family a day or two earlier than if flew home.

Obviously driving is the better option, but for me being from Maine it really isn't a possibility. And yes, I've tried to get my wife to move, but that hasn't worked.

It just takes a lot of planning. I wouldn't go for elk without some sort of connection. Or at least until you had the system down. That way if you need to leave something behind for whatever reason, at least you have a backup option for help. Comforted me anyway! Deer/antelope are much easier IMO, so it would be easier to do solo.

I flew with Southwest. 2 free checked bags, and I think it's like $75/bag for the next 2. Max of 50 pounds each. I brought some of those soft coolers that don't weigh 10 pounds themselves and are easy to fold/bring. Figure that would be roughly 170-180 pounds of meat at best for $150. Then ship your gear back via UPS. Antlers were the biggest question I had. You can fly with them. I would have probably split the skull in 2, folded it against each other and shipped it back. Haven't had experience doing that, but I've seen it done. Hopefully someone that has tried that can chime in.

Obviously it's not ideal, but it is what it is. If possible, I think doing that with an antelope/deer would be good practice for something biggest, like an elk. At least with a deer you're probably talking 100lbs meat tops and obviously not as big/bulky to ship.

You may be able to check antlers as baggage if secure segments of garden hose over the point tips.

I've done the driving thing a time or two and will never do it again. It's WAY cheaper and faster for me to fly out there. You can bring all of your meat back with you. We flew home this year with a boned out elk with no problems.

I booked my flight a couple weeks ago for this Spring's turkey hunt for $160 round trip, non stop. I can't drive for that.

I've done the driving thing a time or two and will never do it again. It's WAY cheaper and faster for me to fly out there. You can bring all of your meat back with you. We flew home this year with a boned out elk with no problems.

I booked my flight a couple weeks ago for this Spring's turkey hunt for $160 round trip, non stop. I can't drive for that.

Out of curiosity, how did you get the whole boned out elk back?

Per the other suggestions, I think i need to find a way to drive. I did his fall and did two hunts and came back early from both. Without my truck that would have been a big pain to wait around for 3 days on each. I'm looking to go I Idaho so that's the reason for the flying question. Did wyoming solo this year and that's as much driving and time off I can handle. Thanks for all the comments everyone.

I usually go through about 150-200 gallons worth of gas on a trip, so total of around $300-$500 (which can be divided if multiple folks are going). An airplane ticket may be cheaper than that, but then you have car rental, rental insurance, baggage or shipping fees getting your animal home, still a fair amount of fuel expense, etc. If the drive time is 30 hours or less, I'll choose driving every time.

Out of curiosity, how did you get the whole boned out elk back?

Per the other suggestions, I think i need to find a way to drive. I did his fall and did two hunts and came back early from both. Without my truck that would have been a big pain to wait around for 3 days on each. I'm looking to go I Idaho so that's the reason for the flying question. Did wyoming solo this year and that's as much driving and time off I can handle. Thanks for all the comments everyone.

My buddy shot the bull the last day of the hunt. He put it in coolers with ice over night. He checked them in like regular luggage. Even though flying the meat home is extra, it's still worth it for me to fly. I will never drive out West again.

The turkey trips are easy, though. I just put the breast in my checked luggage at no extra cost. ;)

Ive done both. Flying is definitely cheaper and faster(20-22 hours Chicago to northern new Mexico). But at least for me you still have to rent a car. Depending on length of hunt that another 800+. I know a lot of guys have a real distaste for atv's but some of the roads are totally inaccessible by car or truck. So I like bringing mine even if I don't use it. When flying you really have to pare down what you bring to the bare essentials. Weapon and clothes. When driving you can bring anything you can fit in the truck. I suppose if your doing a bivy hunt by yourself flying is an option. But when you have a group of 4 with 2 canvas tents. Its nice to be able to have what you need for a week or 2 to cook decent meals. You can usually find a local processor and have him ship meat and and antlers back rather than flying it.

Under 30 hours...Im driving. Fully guided hunt is obviously a different story, but you probably wouldnt be here if you were doing that

Flying vs. driving,,,,depends on your circumstances. If you drove out back in Sept for a 3wk hunt and didn't fill your tag, and you can jump on a plane today and fly out to do a 5 or 6 day hunt to try and fill a tag, well then fly out. Btw,,, did I mention I'm on my way to the airport now! Meeting the boys on a certain Montana mountain in the morning!

You might try posting this question on the Alaska board. LOTS of flying there. My own personal experience is that it can be done, BUT getting the meat home can be a problem. 1. The cooler idea will work, but you will lose some of your meat weight to cooler weight. A better idea would be to ship the meat in waxed cardboard boxes. (Costco sells them up here, so you could probably get them online). Make sure to place the COOLED/FROZEN meat inside a plastic bag to control blood leakage. The airline will trash anything that leaks blood. 2. Mail extra clothing & selected gear to an outfitter or to a local PO care of General Delivery. You might want to make a call to the local PO before doing this to make sure they'll hold it for you. Plan on mailing as much home as you can. This will allow you extra meat boxes on the flight home. If you are comfortable doing it, it is legal to mail a weapon (long gun) to yourself (no need to involve a FFL holder). This gives you another meat box on the plane. Flying vs driving requires extra planning but sometimes its the only way to go.

You may be able to check antlers as baggage if secure segments of garden hose over the point tips.

I've heard of this and seen it online. My biggest concern would be getting it back without antlers being broken or simply in one piece. I know people do it so it must work out ok.

I'd assume it needs to be cleaned out too, which is another issue of being 2000 miles from home with no boiler/pressure washer. Or would wrapping it up in something suffice for the trip?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back