Yeti GOBOX Collection

Things your kids do……

• Thread starter Deleted member 20812
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 20812

My middle daughter graduates from high school this week. She had to write a speech for a class, and what she put together blew me away. Sometimes your kids do things that really let you see inside of them. This one was too amazing to not share.

AP Literature Graduation Speech
Four years flew by, and I am not sure if these were the best or worst of my life. I never really realized how many things I took for granted in life, until I was saying goodbye. I lost many things throughout high school. Friends, consistency, a normal knee. I did not appreciate what I had enough.
I have spent so much of my life wishing time would speed up. It didn't matter if it was for school days to end, summer to come faster, or boring trips to grandma’s house to be over. I never appreciated the time I had until it was gone.
As the days, weeks, and months have passed, I now wish they would just stop.
A six hour anxiety-filled car ride felt as if it had been dragged on for days. Life events gave me the exact opposite of what I was wishing for.
Time had never stood so still until I was sitting on the floor of a hospital watching each breath my grandfather took.
The cement was cold, but somehow my little sister had managed to fall asleep in my lap. My head was leaning against my other sister’s shoulder. Her hands were clammy but I was too scared to let go.
As his chest began to rise and fall slower than before, it felt like the world had just stopped.
Nurses came in and out, taking turns checking his vitals. Family members said their goodbyes. It felt like a fever dream. It might’ve been easier had someone just screamed, the silence was deafening.
Instead of fireworks, my Fourth of July was spent hoping for a miracle that we wouldn’t get.
Surgery was unsuccessful, and I watched as my mom held his hand as tight as possible as he was taken off life support. I had never seen my grandma cry before.
I was aware that people cannot live forever, but I guess I forgot.
In the time I spent wanting to get older, I let it slip that loved ones are not getting any younger.
Saying goodbye was the hardest thing I have ever done, it shook me to the core and left me entirely empty. I didn’t cherish the time I had with him, and now there was none left. I regretted every time I couldn’t just slow down and live in the now.
I have made it more of a priority to just stop and breathe. COVID might have been a blessing in that sense. I was forced to slow down.
I used to dread trips to Montana. It was boring and there was nothing to do. It turns out I just had a shit perspective on what was valuable to me, because I would give anything to get that time back. As graduation nears, understanding he will not get to watch me walk has been a hard reality.
If there is one thing I have learned in high school that is going to stick, it is to simply be present in every moment. You never know what you’re going to miss out on if all you can do is focus on what might be.
I will never be able to get back the time lost, but I see myself not taking it for granted. I hope I walk a little slower, breathe a little deeper, and hug everyone a little tighter. Each moment of high school has shaped me into the individual I am and continue to develop into. Friendships I cherish more now that I have the understanding that time continues to pass.
Every memory has become bittersweet.
The first day of freshman year as a timid fourteen year old, walking through the giant doors of Lewis and Clark High School.
The last summer run before sophomore cross country started.
Friends doing a drive by get well soon following ACL surgery.
Meeting one of my best friends a couple months into senior year at a new school.
I understand the value of the time I have spent in high school. As we get ready to move onto the new chapter of our lives, we are all going our separate ways. I don’t know many of you, but those of you I have gotten the opportunity to know, you’ve touched my life in a positive light.
******, you told me my outfit was cute on the first day of school, and I have never forgotten it. You extended me kindness and helped me feel more welcome in an unsure environment. You exude empathy, and have encouraged me. You’re a shoulder to cry on and a source of confidence when I need it.
*******, I love you a lot. Every memory I will hold onto from senior year, you somehow seem to be in it. You pushed me outside of my comfort zone. Getting me to go to new places, meet new people, and even getting me in my first car accident. You’ve shifted my life upside down, and I now find comfort in the chaos we seem to find ourselves in.
******* brought me here. I started school in ****** with her by my side, and I’m grateful to get to finish it with her. Nine years of friendship, and I think I have found my person. I value every dumb decision she has talked me into.
High school has come to an end. Four years have flown by. Time is a great gift and I hope I never wish time away. The only thing more important is what we spend it on.
I hope we all head off into our next journey, without the focus on the final destination. I hope you value the time you have been given, and never take what you have for granted.

Having raised (single parent) three daughters of my own her speech really hot home with me; all three of my kids spoke at their graduations and I was also fortunate to have coached them in multiple sports up through high school. To say we’re close is a colossal understatement and the pride I’ve felt through many of their steps towards adulthood has left me speechless from to time to time. Congrats on a fine daughter and good on you for helping her to get there!

Thanks for the comments. @MarvB, three girls here too.

This one has tested us to what we thought was the breaking point. Many times. What’s ironic is the traits that make her most challenging are the ones she gets from me. My wife looked at me one day when I was ready to kill our daughter and said “you know, she’s just like you.”

As parents, we’ve continually stressed the importance of perspective, compassion, and grace. You spend so much time wondering if your efforts ever took root, and then you have flashes like this that just overwhelm you with humility and happiness.

She heads off to college in August. As per usual, she’s determined to do it her way. I too hope she reminds herself of this perspective over and over.

So cool!! Thank you for sharing. My daughter will be a freshman in the fall and being the dad of just one high school girl scares the chit out of me. Hopefully we've prepared her for the next phase of life.

From the sounds of it, your daughter is well on her way to becoming a productive member of society. Thank you for that, job well done!!!

Well done mom and dad. I have a 10 year old granddaughter and when she is entering college if she has the perspective on life that you’re daughter wrote of I would be very proud of her and will know that we were as successful as you and your wife in raising fine young women. Congrats to you both

My middle daughter graduates from high school this week. She had to write a speech for a class, and what she put together blew me away. Sometimes your kids do things that really let you see inside of them. This one was too amazing to not share.
This is a great speech, I'm sure you and her mother are proud of her! My 13 year old daughter out here in Bakersfield will be reading your daughters speech, thank you for sharing this!

Back