Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Things to do near Reno, NV

ChrisC

I was just told of a business trip to Reno in late May. I saw that the Sierra Nevada Moutains are within a short drive. anybody have any recommendations for day trips?

Nice! There's so much you can do depending on interest...........

Highly suggest going to Lake Tahoe if you've got time - 45m from Reno is easy.
You could run up I-80 to the pass and see the massive snowpack or stop in Truckee for some sights/eats.
You'd have a good chance at hiking up around Mt. Rose but A) hard to say how high you will get with the current snowpack and B) how much will have melted by May.
You could run out to Pyramid Lake; not 100% sure what the fishing regs are.
With all the snow, you could go skiing/snowboarding/snowmobiling.
You could go snow-shoeing.
See a trend here with all the snow activities?!?! :)

Virginia City. Kinda touristy but interesting. Tahoe is nice. Go around to the North side and avoid the gamblers. Check out Emerald bay. Good grille pubs on the North side too. Reindeer Lodge up Mount Rose used to have a good burger. We used to dig crystals out in Dog Valley. Great golf course in Dayton if you golf. mtmuley

thanks for the ideas. Emerald bay SP looks nice. any hiking trail recommendations?

it looked like Truckee was home to the Donner museum. is it worth visiting?

never heard of Virginia City. I'll have to Google it

Lots of great ideas there. May can be iffy at Lake Tahoe. The first time the wife and I went there it was late May and we were going to take the drive around the lake but the road was closed due to the blinding snowstorm that was happening.

I swore i read a thread today mentioning the need to focus on the revenue side of things. And here you are suggesting a business run by a man supporting the libertarian party? This business must provide high quality goods and/or services.

has anyone fished the truckee river near Reno? Any good spots they care to share, or other nearby places?

That time of year the Truckee will be running pretty high and off color for fishing. Donner Party Museum is interesting as well as the area around Donner Pass. Gives you a interesting perspective of what that Party went through to make it over the Sierras.

any good fishing around there in mid to late may?

At times the fishing in the Truckee can be quite good. Access can be a problem though with I80 running along the river. There are several places in Verdi where you can get to the river and we have had good luck there. There are a couple of other spots upriver from there but not many. I have never fished the river downstream from Reno so I have no info there.
There is Lahontan Res nearby that is a warm water fishery and there is Pyramid Lake where they catch some monster Lahontan cutthroat trout sometimes. You will need a tribal permit to fish there because it's on the reservation.
There are also Lake Trout to be caught in Lake Tahoe usually caught by fishing very deep with down riggers.
Good luck to you.
This is not my fish but it is from Pyramid Lake.
20-lbr.jpg

Lahontan cuts are only in Pyramid aren't they? We used to fish and camp out at Lahontan reservoir. Caught lots of carp, and a bass that locals called wipers. The Carson river had some planter trout, and awesome carp fishing. Fun to fight till they get tired. I caught a 14 pounder outside of Carson City. Spent 12 years in Carson/Dayton. Nevada is a really neat place once you get to looking around. mtmuley

The truckee is a hard place to fish and fish numbers are low due to the drought we were in for the past few years prior. Quite a few nice fish are cought every year most by fly guys but if your like me rapalas work well too. Pm me close to when your coming I'll have a good idea what's happening.

Interesting aside on Lahontan Cutthroats. A guy that lives just inside the UT border has 3 ponds full of the things. He raises them for NV/UT DNR and USFWS. I got to help seine his ponds and collect eggs. Impressive the number of fish he had in each of these 3 small ponds. There was a good sized fire a few years back that darned near took out the whole works. Couple of well placed retardant drops and some engine work were able to save the structures and the fish ponds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back