Things A Man Has Gotta Do

WyoDoug

Well, I got bored with retirement already and had to find a job that was flexible enough to allow for my hunting and help fund my hunting and fishing SO I took a job as a sewing machine repair tech after posting a note in one of the FB groups for a job flexible enough to allow for hunting for people on social security.

I love the job and took to repairing machines immediately. However, I got to learn lady of the house skills now LOL. Gotta learn to sew, what all the stitches on a machine are, how to pick out fabric and threads, what the right needles are, etc. Gotta be a better expert on the machines that the customers who come in, bulk of which are of the female species.

Probably going to make my own man curtains for my camper...maybe even some hunting clothes LOL.

My daughter's father in law does this; picks them up for next to nothing, fixes, and resells.

My daughter's father in law does this; picks them up for next to nothing, fixes, and resells.
The shop I work for does some of this. Customers don't pay for the machine and after 30 days it is sold. We also repair trade ins. You'd be surprised at the prices some sell though. There are some we will not repair because it takes 45 minutes just to do basic service and some of them Kenmores and that only sell for $100 or so as a used machine. We don't take in machines for other than part outs if resale is less than 500 generally. Time is money too but people who do that write that off. I am thinking of hitting garage sales and that looking for them and buying antique ones (true antiques) and reconditioning and reselling them.

Well, I got bored with retirement already and had to find a job that was flexible enough to allow for my hunting and help fund my hunting and fishing SO I took a job as a sewing machine repair tech after posting a note in one of the FB groups for a job flexible enough to allow for hunting for people on social security.

I love the job and took to repairing machines immediately. However, I got to learn lady of the house skills now LOL. Gotta learn to sew, what all the stitches on a machine are, how to pick out fabric and threads, what the right needles are, etc. Gotta be a better expert on the machines that the customers who come in, bulk of which are of the female species.

Probably going to make my own man curtains for my camper...maybe even some hunting clothes LOL.
I do the sewing in our house; my wife's mechanical skills top out at a cigarette lighter or door knob. My machine has a broken nylon gear which I must replace soon before catching up with sewing jobs.

I think this sewing job will come in handy for any rips or tears in ANY of your hunting gear

I do the sewing in our house; my wife's mechanical skills top out at a cigarette lighter or door knob. My machine has a broken nylon gear which I must replace soon before catching up with sewing jobs.
On some machines those gears are hard to find too. That is why I part out a lot of old machines at work.

One of these is useful, though I am not very good with it. Not sure it is the best if sewing lingerie is your gig, but it will put an axe sheath together and numerous other such things.

Most of my sewing is just needle and thread and it hurts the eyes to look at, but it never fails once I get done with it...

Learning skills is always good.
I still have the down sleeping bag & parka I made on my grandma's Singer,that she later gave me. My mom taught me how to run it and it got me out of HS a year early. Wish I still had it,but I can sew by hand....

My sister is a quilter and an avid sewer. She rebuilt our mom's Singer Treadle machine to like new condition recently and now does restoration work for folks. I gave her cabinet restoration tips.
Funny we talk Singer & Bernina to each other now,and I understand what she is saying....lol.

Nice try, but no cigar.

I know several fellows who after retirement started a part time business geared toward female clientele ---for the extra income ;)

Nice try, but no cigar.

I know several fellows who after retirement started a part time business geared toward female clientele ---for the extra income ;)
That does have it's advantages LOL. I see a lot of really beautiful women. Only issue is I end up feeling like a dirty old man going after girls young enough to be my granddaughter LOL. Not sure wife would like those kinda thoughts.

One of these is useful, though I am not very good with it. Not sure it is the best if sewing lingerie is your gig, but it will put an axe sheath together and numerous other such things.

Most of my sewing is just needle and thread and it hurts the eyes to look at, but it never fails once I get done with it...

Thanks for that. I have an old Singer treadle cobbler machine out in the garage that I'll be fixing up for my daughter. The wooden treadle connecting rod is rotted off but I should be able craft a replacement. My daughter is just starting to get into bear rug taxidermy and one of these machines will be great if I can't get the Singer going (incidentally, it has three digit serial number and definitely dates to 19th century).

I formerly restored and repaired pianos. Lots of challenges and fun. Sadly, acoustic pianos are pretty much extinct these days. I think my parts supplier is now out of business.

My dad was a master upholsterer for most of his life. He had an industrial Singer sewing machine that could sew through half an inch of leather.
For many years he worked for interior decorators. He made vinyl tops for cars, awnings, boat upholstery, relining the gaming tables at the Flamingo-Hilton in Vegas was his last job before he retired. He redid car interiors including my '65 Mustang.
There was nothing upholstery-related that he couldn't do.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back