Yeti GOBOX Collection

These really help with accuracy

duckhead59

I'm not a very experienced reloader...but since I added lee factory crimp dies so far the results have been great. I just wanted to pass this along to everyone and suggest if you arent using them you might want to give them a try and see if they help tighten your groups...they are inexpensive...$9.99 to $11.99 thru midwayusa.

Went out last week and shot my reloads thru my new 358 win to sight it in. I was breaking in the barrel with some lighter loads then moved up closer to max. the results were amazing...(excluding 1st shots to foul the clean barrel)...at 50 yds 2 shots touching and the next 3/4" off consitantly. Moved out to 100yds and up 2 gr and all that changed was the poi crawled up the paper about 2" made adjustments...again moved up 2 gr...same results...ended up 3" high at 100yds...The only excuse I'll have come deer season is operator error...lol.

How do you know it was the crimp that was making helping your groups?

I've not seen any appriciable diffrence with crimping vs not.

Crimps have their place. I've seen some loose chambered rifles go from 2 inch groups to sub MOA with the simply by adding a nice roll crimp. I don't know the science behind doing this (slower buring powder needs some added pressure for correct ignition?).

But, do what works.

bambistew...I should have included that after using on previously shot .223 and 7mm rem mag it really helped with those loads...several other shooters I know use them too and suggested I try them. I was just excited about the way the new 358 win was shooting out of the box...I was on paper and shooting nice groups after 3 shots.
sodak & bambistew...I didnt crip with seater die...went back and crimped with the lee factory crimp die. with the standard roll crimp using seater it rolls down over the top edge of brass...pushing down and in (can lead to crushed shoulders and inconsistant bullet alignment/crimp points) with the factory crimp die it is a collet type that sqeezes from the sides resulting in a very uniform aligment of bullet, creates its own cannelure and results in very consistent pressures. btw...I didnt know all this...just talked to alot of shooters and researchd it.
here's a link http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1255447558.3011=/html/catalog/dies-crimp.html
you can buy them cheaper thru midwayusa http://www.midwayusa.com/

I am a dedicated user of the Lee Factory Crimp die on rounds that should be crimped and with bullets with cannelures...I love them for my .45 ACP, magnum revolvers and .30-30s. However, I do not use them for my bolt action rifles. Nosler even specifically says not to use them on their non-cannelured bullets as it will compromise their design features and performance on game.

calif. hunter...I saw one of the manufactures advises against it...lee even posts it in their literature. I havent tried it but lee says you can crimp even w/out the cannelures?...after my limtited experience and the way it works mechanically I would think you could set the crimp lighter for non canna so as not to crimp hard enought to cause any problems as I think one of the big benefits using is the uniform crimp and bullet allignment?

That may be true. I just know that when I have had to pull bullets for one reason or another, after using the crimp die, that a groove has been impressed into the bullet. I could see where that might interfere with the bullet's performance. Is it increasing the integrity of the bullet or decreasing it? (This pertains to rifle bullets without a cannelure - I use Lee FCD all the time with handgun ammo.) I don't know if the groove would cause more or fewer jacket separations or have no effect at all. I just figure that if the bullet didn't have a cannelure, then I should not put one there. If it has one, then there should be no problem unless the die is crimping so tightly that it is deepening it.

I haven't seen crimping improve accuracy in my rifles - but maybe I should try it on the couple that seem picky and that I have had problems getting to shoot as well as I would like.

I tried them when they first came out years ago on some bottle neck cartridges. They didnt show me any improvement in acuuracy.
When I load for the 30-30 I will use the FC dies though just for the fact that they are going to be used in a tubular magazine.
I do use them in 45LC,40S&W and 45 ACP in which they work very well.

calif hunter....trying on picky might be a good test...heck for $10 a guy cant go wrong if nothing else is getting it?..let me know if you try on some of those...good luck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caleb_u
Back