Thermopolis, WY fishing

MontanaBlades

Planning to fish the horn at Thermopolis in WY for the first time. My cousin and I will be there July 19 & 20. Any recommendations on fly patterns? Nymph ing mostly. I’ll be sure to bring my red Folgers can of bait too

My favorite place is near the upper and lower campgrounds between Boysen Dam and the reservation on the Wind River.
Beadheads, San Juan's, and big leech streamers have worked excellent over the last 30 years for me on that short stretch of river.
Big fish live there, and not just trout.

My favorite place is near the upper and lower campgrounds between Boysen Dam and the reservation on the Wind River.
Beadheads, San Juan's, and big leech streamers have worked excellent over the last 30 years for me on that short stretch of river.
Big fish live there, and not just trout.

This.

Also check out any of the fly shops in Thermop.

The reservation F&G carefully monitor their section of the river. Special rules apply here so make sure you know where you are fishing is or isn't tribal lands.

And make sure you have a tribal
License. The rules are not too hard to follow but they are the rules. Hopper patterns might be on that time. But the fly shop in Thermop will give you a good idea.

Last edited:
The fishing is for the birds. I’d be at the Star Plunge going down the water slides.
Neither is that pleasant in hotter summer weather, but Star Plunge > TePee.

Grab a meal and a good beer at One Eyed Buffalo while you’re in town. Good cafes in town for breakfast and if any kids are along the dinosaur museum is actually pretty impressive.

Neither is that pleasant in hotter summer weather, but Star Plunge > TePee.

Grab a meal and a good beer at One Eyed Buffalo while you’re in town. Good cafes in town for breakfast and if any kids are along the dinosaur museum is actually pretty impressive.
Just me and my cousin. We will definitely hit up one eyed Buffalo

That place is awesome.
They are expanding! Rumor has it they are moving the restaurant across the street from the brewery location. They also now have a OEB saloon down the road. Haven’t been there and probably won’t. I just hope the food and beer stay good at the restaurant! 👍

Breakfast at the Black Bear Cafe was pretty solid. Do not pass on the Wyoming Dinosaur Center if you haven't been there before.

Another Bighorn River fish, this one caught by my wife. It managed to gill-hook itself and came in bleeding pretty good so he came home with us. You want to get some dirty looks, walk a bloody trophy size trout past a crowded boat ramp of drift boat guides and clients...

Screenshot_20230623_043317_Instagram.jpg

We had a high desert surf and turf for dinner that night. Trout along side some very fresh pronghorn tenderloin. No regrets

Last edited:
Breakfast at the Black Bear Cafe was pretty solid. Do not pass on the Wyoming Dinosaur Center if you haven't been there before.

Another Bighorn River fish, this one caught by my wife. It managed to gill-hook itself and came in bleeding pretty good so he came home with us. You want to get some dirty looks, walk a bloody trophy size trout past a crowded boat ramp of drift boat guides and clients...

View attachment 281009

We had a high desert surf and turf for dinner that night. Trout along side some very fresh pronghorn tenderloin. No regrets
I get dirty looks all the time! But you did the right thing. I love smoking trout, any kind of trout and caught any means necessary. Especially on Sunday mornings, smoked trout with cream cheese, chives, and cappers. Top Notch!

Drove through Thermop and the canyon this morning. Water is super high, over the banks in places. Last week they opened up Boysen a bit more than it had been and warned everyone to stay clear of it for a bit. Still a few people drifting/fishing it this morning but not many!

Drove through Thermop and the canyon this morning. Water is super high, over the banks in places. Last week they opened up Boysen a bit more than it had been and warned everyone to stay clear of it for a bit. Still a few people drifting/fishing it this morning but not many!
they did the same thing at Yellowtail dam.

Planning to fish the horn at Thermopolis in WY for the first time. My cousin and I will be there July 19 & 20. Any recommendations on fly patterns? Nymph ing mostly. I’ll be sure to bring my red Folgers can of bait too
One more week, then game on for the troutskies. What fly pattern?

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexn
Back