PEAX Equipment

The Straw the Broke the Camels Back (Fords....)

This is so odd to me. I live in a modest neighborhood in a small town where there are not a lot of high paying jobs. The other day I get home and my neighbor has bought a 2019 F250 FX4. That's a $60,000 bill. For reference that's roughly half the value of his house. He's a young guy about my age. My wife and I actively save, drive older vehicles (never bought new), no mortgage, no loans, and plan to retire early. I just cringe at the thought of paying a bank a monthly check for something that you pay interest on and is DEPRECIATING as it sits in the driveway. I have met a lot of people my age that just don't think that way. I know it's not my place to judge.
Hi IdahoPotato.

Leveraged vehicle worth half of your mortgaged house?

Financial stupidity!

I often hear the state court civil judges tell the debtors that there is no longer a stigma for filing bankruptcy. Does the borrower and consumer not have responsibility and accountability in this country?

Again, the auto industry has the American consumer by the ... I wonder what our grandfathers would think.

Last edited:
Fords used to be great trucks.
My dad had a 1986 Bronco (Pre-OJ)
Badass vehicle. Straight 6. Locking hubs. It was a 2 door badass.

I would touch a Ford these days. They are strictly chick trucks as best.

They're all junk just depends on which brand of junk you prefer. Chevy is my preferred junk, HORRIBLE luck with Ford myself.
Tell me about it. Melted a turbo in a 6.4 F250 last week. Labor is damn near 3 times parts. They have to remove the cab. NOT a Ford fan. Guess I should feed it Monster like Bob does. mtmuley

I have gone through a nightmare of a truck as well and sometimes it’s best to bite the bullet and get rid of it.

If it makes you feel any better. The caliper freezing up could be happening if you are changing your own break pads and not putting anti seize on the caliper I’m recommended location each change. I used to change my own until I had the same thing happen and then realized I really didn’t come out ahead since it failed because of me.

The lug nut problem is with every make right now. My best friend runs a tire shop and before we left for out West he said bring your truck in because I’m buying after market lug nuts before we blow a tire in the middle of nowhere and can’t get socket on them.

I owned two F-250's for a total of about 30 years, all kinds of issues i considered normal wear and tear, until a bought a Tundra. I have owned the truck since 2010. 2 Normal things, a brake job and a new battery - that's it, just saying.
I have always driven ford trucks. I bought a 1985 Toyota regular cab 4x4 on a whim as a hunting truck. It soon became my only truck. I beat the bejezus out of that little straight axle truck without a single problem. I bought another 85 extended cab for extra room, kept the first one for parts. I never needed those extra parts. Now I have a 2008 Tundra and it's just about as bullet proof as the early ones were, but with lots more power. I'd never buy another ford or chevy again.

HAhaha some of these comments, so great!

ended up drowning my frustration with some beers(not Busch, some awful IPA my buddy had me try) and a classic, Joe Dirt 🤣😂🤣

The lady came home that night and was like brake problems? I couldn’t figure out how she knew then I walked out the next morning and found this in my yard(the photo isn’t the best but it’s sticking up outta the ground) hahaha don’t mind Boomer trying to sneak in the photo, I think he’s laughing at me..

Attachments

• C703E820-1B1B-46FE-97E9-7EB9D5502F48.jpeg
    C703E820-1B1B-46FE-97E9-7EB9D5502F48.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 54
Oh and bought new solid one piece lugs and got the old ones ripped off and brakes changed yesterday. What a train wreck....

Ok, I'll tell my Ford story.....

I bought my guys four brand new 2016 F350 diesel crew cabs.

All four of them have been the biggest pieces of shiiiiiiiiiitttt. Just had one of them blow an engine with 119,000 mostly highway miles on it. The other three have cost me a pretty penny ever since they got off warranty.

Ford wants $ 12,000 to replace the engine. H-E-L-L no!!!

Not sure what the heck to do other than start replacing them with something else starting now before they eat me out of house and home.

Been a very frustrating experience and the local dealership hasn't been exactly helpful or supportive which pisses me off worse after investing that kind of money three years ago with them.

Rant over, my apologies! :)

I won't praise my truck just point out my biggest complaints. 2012 Tundra. 1. Brake rotors warp within... 5 minutes of installing new ones. 2. You have to remove the skid plate to change the oil. 3. It's hard to have a conversation as the sucking sound of the engine is hard to hear over (15 mpg highway).

I'd recommend just quick messing around and go top shelf: https://www.isuzucv.com/en/nseries/nseries_diesel

All four of them have been the biggest pieces of shiiiiiiiiiitttt. Just had one of them blow an engine with 119,000 mostly highway miles on it. The other three have cost me a pretty penny ever since they got off warranty.

Not sure what the heck to do other than start replacing them with something else starting now before they eat me out of house and home.

Been a very frustrating experience and the local dealership hasn't been exactly helpful or supportive which pisses me off worse after investing that kind of money three years ago with them.

FishN4Eyes, sounds like your local dealership made a healthy profit off of you and now could give a damn less about your issues with your trucks. Not surprising at all! Dealership owners rake in no less than $400,000 in pay annually. Not a bad business to own. Best of luck!

FishN4Eyes, sounds like your local dealership made a healthy profit off of you and now could give a damn less about your issues with your trucks. Not surprising at all! Dealership owners rake in no less than $400,000 in pay annually. Not a bad business to own. Best of luck!

Thanks, been frustrating to say the least.

Sorry for the rant men!

Wow, most folks buy a truck, have a bad experience, then rant (including myself). Buying 4 of the same brand new and they all suck is definitely a pattern. Or next-level bad luck.

What are you going with next time? All of the big 3 one tons have been redesigned so they're kinda unknown right now.

To ADD to my list.... brakes were wearing on the rotors funny after I replaced them sunday, then I noticed some heat after driving and now it's constant smell and heat and squeaking. I took it apart again, cleaned and lubed the slides, cleaned and lubed the pins and made sure the bracket was torqued to spec. And still no luck......

Looks like it's another seized caliper. Went to autozone to buy another one, they're out, the nearest one in 30mi away. I asked if we could order it and he said they can't even order them and that probably means this is a consistent issue across the board so the manufacturer is on back order.

I thought my Ridgeline was boring. Get in and drive, change oil and filters. New BHA sticker every few years when the old one fades away. This thread is a big reminder of the simplicity and peace of mind that a reliable rig provides.

Haven't had to replace the TRCP sticker.

Question is.... how difficult to change a caliper?

I can get it for $125 which includes a $45 core charge, so $80. I'd also need to bleed the brakes, I don't know what all the entails but say I'd need fluid and a brake bleeder tool and worst case that's $20. So I'm looking at a total of $100 to replace it myself. I'm having a shop do a free diagnosis tomorrow, if it is the caliper and they quote me over $175 I think I may just do it myself.

One advantage of someone else doing it is, if things don't work, then it's on them. Bleeding brakes by yourself sucks without the tools for it.

This is more of a vent and rant... bought my F150 new in 2014(terrible idea) since then it’s been nothing but problems. Let’s start slow, year one, air bag light on, I’m at the shop for two days till they figured it out, 3mo later, it’s back on. I get it fixed again, then a year later back on, couldn’t figure it out again, they got it “fixed” and now 5 years later it’s on again, been on for a while, I’ve given up.

Next up... AC goes out, and now I’ve put a lot of miles on so the warranty is void. I get that fixed, a good ole $1500 fix...

Well that’s all well and good, then, a couple months down the line, I go to take the pup pheasant hunting. Nope... car overheats and smokes on the highway, coolant completely leaked out, it’s a cracked water pump. Get that fixed.

Once again drive on the highway, all of the sudden all the lights go on on my dash, traction control, e brake on, engine service required, etc.... I take it in and a wire broke that lead to a sensor.... get that fixed....

I go to start up the AC again and whelp, the AC has gone out again... now I just run with zero AC, I’m over it. I’ve gotten used to just having the windows down. Fortunately the one part was on a two year warranty so I will get that looked at and estimated this summer.

I had a brake caliper freeze and run thru a pad and a rotor, that was an easy self fix tho.

Then I had a T (or branch?) leak all my coolant again. Fortunately I caught it leaking before I wasn’t full bore on the highway, that had to be fixed.

Once again driving on the highway, hit a bump and all the traction control, e brake, service engine, etc.... comes on. Got that fixed, same thing, the wire broke to the sensor. They paid for it since it was within a year of the other happening.

Don’t even get me started on the location of the oil filter and the damn hoses on either side of it making it nearly impossible to unscrew. Especially when I had to get my oil changed at a shop and had the hulk screw on my filter. Afterwards I got that one off my oil filter looked like it got shot with a shotgun, had to fill thru it and crank it out with a screwdriver.

And well there’s today. The straw that broke the camels back. The reason I’m typing this in my driveway, trying to hold back from throwing this breaker bar through my window.... I have to change my pads and rotors, pretty simple and straight forward... HA! Turns out, all of my lug nuts have swollen. They were 21mm and now some are 21 or 22 or in between. That’s not so bad because I have multiple sized sockets, however the cheap-o lug nut covers have started to break and separate from the lugnut over the years and when I crank on them the cover just spins around the but, I can get maybe 4 outta 6 off each tire. All I needed was to change my breaks and I can’t even get the tire off!!!. I’m beyond over ever owning a ford again, this is outrageous.

I thought maybe this is an isolated problem and I google it and apprently there’s a class action lawsuit in Michigan because of their faulty lug nuts where the covers are just spinning over the nuts. These ones have been decent so far but I think years of an impact wrench(from shops) and general use has done em in.

I’m just frustrated and had to blow off steam somehow without hucking this bar thru the window.

Also I apologize for any run ons or typos, I’m typing on my phone.

-Disgruntled Ford Owner
Lot of the repeat issues are probably due to a piss poor tech. Broken wires, a/c and such. Not necessarily fords fault.

One advantage of someone else doing it is, if things don't work, then it's on them. Bleeding brakes by yourself sucks without the tools for it.

yeah and I have to be somewhere friday evening, if I had the weekend to do it and the fiancee was here with a back up car I'd feel more comfortable but it sounds like brake bleeding can be a pain.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back