Caribou Gear

The shining moment of the 2017 elk season for me

I can pretty well predict the level of attention most game wardens would give to this as a harassment offense.

And somewhere else on Al Gore's internet someone has (possibly) made a post about a guy shooting a rifle to scare off the elk that they were after...

And somewhere else on Al Gore's internet someone has (possibly) made a post about a guy shooting a rifle to scare off the elk that they were after...

Based on the town they were from, Im sure they felt they were the ones in the right. ...How dare someone get on their elk before them. LOL

Depends on the person. I'm not even close to confident at that range. I stick to sub 300 yards.

And the rifle. Not everyone is shooting a rifle/scope setup capable of making that shot. I will not shoot past 400 yds with my current setup and prefer that it's under 300 yds.

buddy was from Ohio. He had never shot over 200yds....and 582 yds is a long shot don't kid yourself

Serious questions. If I drive past a state section and there are 5 trucks parked there, is that 1 good old boy and 4 assholes? Or what?

Obviously 1 was there first.
They are hunting the same game.
If the guy that was there first had the place to himself the 2 days prior, does he get the third day also? When does his dibs expire?
Why are there parking lots at trailheads, when all we really need is 1 parking spot and room to turn around?

If I walk 2 hours in the dark and get passed by horses just before shooting light should I fire a round off just to let them know that I don't approve?

If I walk 2 hours in the dark and pass a tent with no lights on, should I wake them up and ask if I can hunt, or should I just turn around and go home?

If it is OK for a guy to enforce HIS ethics on the next guy, can a person that does not hunt on Sunday camp at the end of the road on Sunday and hold the drainage for Monday?

Do these rules apply to fishing also, because I have been passed on the trail going to mountain lakes and I just thought the other guy was in better shape. Turns out he might be an asshole.

I am starting to think that the world is full of them.

If we are going to advocate for public land, then is it right to approve of 1 party per day on the mountain?

Everyone else is an asshole, period. :cool:

An aside to MTTW's response:
As I have witnessed, say, eight hunter's outfits parked at a trailhead, parking area, locked gate, etc. - I have wondered how many vehicles need to parked in one spot before the last guy figures that it isn't worth staying. Seems a lot of people don't consider crowds of orange clads as a detractor to the hunting experience. If you want to hunt under those conditions, you get what you get.

true story-I once had a guy actually step on my foot while I was laying in the tent because he was upset we were in there. He had given us the old story how he'd been hunting there since Jesus' nuts had descended and "its sure is getting crowded here" the evening before. I didn't listen and he stepped on my little piggie the next morning as he got up extra early and headed into elk country.

If I knew he still hunted that spot I'd post the GPS coords on the WWW. My little piggie doesn't forget or forgive.

Last edited:
JLS had the best post in the thread.

Just cause you can do something, does not me you should.

Works both ways!

Paul u know just as well as anyone southwest montana public land is the wild west. Your a very good bow hunter. No need for u to use a Boom Stick

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back