The Season of Stupid (& elk)

• Thread starter Deleted member 52098
  • Start date
Sounds like you guys have it worked out and are pushing on. Props for that! Many others would have quit by now. Look on the bright side. Now you have that new truck broken in! ;) Hope it's not broken too bad if at all.

We demand pictures!

Go get em mtnelk!! Glad you didn't get hurt. I've really been enjoying this thread. All the sweat , aching muscles, tow bills, stress, will be forgotten when you walk up on that monster bull you deserve. Hoping you get a good one for all your efforts!!

@MtnElk
You’ve got this. What an incredible season so far to live from my armchair. Pulling for you. Just don’t “shank” any of your equipment like we’ve seen in recent threads. You’re way above that. Go get ‘em

$3000 later we are ”unstuck” but more like “unf$&@ed”.
Lunch for CheesePozza was purchased.
Wife gave me a proper talking to and @Dsnow9 didnt answer the phone… he’s preparing his talk for in person 😂

More on this later, hopefully with concluding a picture of a dead $*)Q!#@$ elk and a stupid grip and grin… but for now pics of the incident. Weirdest slip of my life, made no sense. Self corrected with boards and it slipped right back.

Back to the hunt and the blizzard!

IMG_5172.jpeg

IMG_5171.jpeg

Wife gave me a proper talking to and @Dsnow9 didnt answer the phone… he’s preparing his talk for in person 😂

More on this later, hopefully with concluding a picture of a dead $*)Q!#@$ elk and a stupid grip and grin… but for now pics of the incident. Weirdest slip of my life, made no sense. Self corrected with boards and it slipped right back.

View attachment 296689

View attachment 296699

Sir you can't park there.

I was so scared it was going to be in a patch of sapplings 50 feet down the bank and just scraped to $hit...

Whoopsie! Will we see a winch in the future? Tough spot. One end comes and the other slides. Lesson learned. On with the hunt!

My quest for chains was met quickly, so here’s what happened:

When I drove back to camp, the unit was mostly fogged in. The only part that wasn't was very low private. There was NO reason to try and go higher on this road - of all roads - to glass. None. But I didn't want it to seem like I wasn't giving maximum effort. But my gut said go back to camp as the weather was acting up. I should have listened.

I drove up the road and went through a spicy spot and said, this is dumb. Drove up further to a great turnaround spot and went back down. For no reason the truck just started slipping right and I knew there was no saving it by myself.

I eventually hit the sos thinking they'd want to correct this as a downhill Roll would mean hitting other people and the road below. They explained they only cared about me (understandably) and I told them I was more than ok. Had all my layers, water, food. They said they still had to come.

They show up - VMR - super rad dudes, we had a good laugh, they took their own pics and they dropped me back at camp.

a coordinated effort between my wife - who was traveling for work- and deacon, who has been swamped by work - hooked me up big and helped arrange mountian recovery and $3000 later, my truck is good to go.

Lessons learned. I hated pressing the sos button but I was nowhere near service of any kind and there needed to be a fix to this issue. And random passer by wasn’t going to get me out of this. Funny enough the guys that came to me said they’ve had to do the same thing. SAR guys are top notch, and wicked fun to ride around in a side by side with. They drove it like they stole it.

Again, a flipping goat rodeo… but no one was harmed and the truck is ok. Embarrassing, kind of. But mostly a lesson of sorts.

Nearly a foot of snow fell up high and the season opens in 36ish hours. Can’t wait.

the president of the board of VMR was the pastor of my parents church for my whole upbringing. really really good guy.

colorado SAR teams are overflowing with top notch folks in every corner of the state and VMR has long been one of the standout teams.
A donation was made to VMR; top notch

View attachment 296689

View attachment 296699
Those are scary situations. Good on you for keeping a good head. I’ve been there. That is a very precarious situation. I wound up hiking out, coming back with another guy with his truck and block and tackle. Luckily I had some anchor trees on the uphill side. Glad you didn’t push it and wind up in the bottom.

F8FA6D01-FBD9-434B-8BA0-C73FECA8EA32.jpeg
Plows are out! Must be Colorado 1st season. Good chance it could be 80 degrees during second season.

Someone will be sleeping in a warm bed tonight and the other guy is still undecided on how far to go….

*Break trail in the snow all the way to camp after midnight and break trail all the way from camp to the glassing point in the am to make sure road is passable for others. Sleep in wall tent but hour extra driving tonight and in am

*sleep in the back of the truck at the base of @MtnElk face and drive up to the glassing point when the bed sleepers get here

Y'all are crazy!!! Loving every minute of this. Glad you are all ok. Hope the rest of hunt is eventful only to the extent of a gut pile at the end.

I am rocking pink this year. Half tempted to do white union suit and dye it. I mean why not. Of course if we all wear pink we might be classified as a gang....
Slay 'em boys!!

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VaDon
Back