Caribou Gear

The Season of Stupid (& elk)

• Thread starter Deleted member 52098
  • Start date
My quest for chains was met quickly, so here’s what happened:

When I drove back to camp, the unit was mostly fogged in. The only part that wasn't was very low private. There was NO reason to try and go higher on this road - of all roads - to glass. None. But I didn't want it to seem like I wasn't giving maximum effort. But my gut said go back to camp as the weather was acting up. I should have listened.

I drove up the road and went through a spicy spot and said, this is dumb. Drove up further to a great turnaround spot and went back down. For no reason the truck just started slipping right and I knew there was no saving it by myself.

I eventually hit the sos thinking they'd want to correct this as a downhill Roll would mean hitting other people and the road below. They explained they only cared about me (understandably) and I told them I was more than ok. Had all my layers, water, food. They said they still had to come.

They show up - VMR - super rad dudes, we had a good laugh, they took their own pics and they dropped me back at camp.

a coordinated effort between my wife - who was traveling for work- and deacon, who has been swamped by work - hooked me up big and helped arrange mountian recovery and $3000 later, my truck is good to go.

Lessons learned. I hated pressing the sos button but I was nowhere near service of any kind and there needed to be a fix to this issue. And random passer by wasn’t going to get me out of this. Funny enough the guys that came to me said they’ve had to do the same thing. SAR guys are top notch, and wicked fun to ride around in a side by side with. They drove it like they stole it.

Again, a flipping goat rodeo… but no one was harmed and the truck is ok. Embarrassing, kind of. But mostly a lesson of sorts.

Nearly a foot of snow fell up high and the season opens in 36ish hours. Can’t wait.
We’ve all been there. Glad you made it out.

Keep going, everyone has who hunts or fishes needs a recovery.

Last edited:
$3000 later we are ”unstuck” but more like “unf$&@ed”.
Lunch for CheesePozza was purchased.
Wife gave me a proper talking to and @Dsnow9 didnt answer the phone… he’s preparing his talk for in person 😂

More on this later, hopefully with concluding a picture of a dead $*)Q!#@$ elk and a stupid grip and grin… but for now pics of the incident. Weirdest slip of my life, made no sense. Self corrected with boards and it slipped right back.

Back to the hunt and the blizzard!

View attachment 296689

View attachment 296699
That's a hell of a road to be taking the ol tundra down! I hope you get an elk, man!

Is that axle welded in place like it looks? Might make it a bit hard to change the tire when it goes flat, but otherwise looks good. Hope it works for you.

View attachment 296768
Plows are out! Must be Colorado 1st season. Good chance it could be 80 degrees during second season.

Someone will be sleeping in a warm bed tonight and the other guy is still undecided on how far to go….

*Break trail in the snow all the way to camp after midnight and break trail all the way from camp to the glassing point in the am to make sure road is passable for others. Sleep in wall tent but hour extra driving tonight and in am

*sleep in the back of the truck at the base of @MtnElk face and drive up to the glassing point when the bed sleepers get here
Well I slept at the trailhead. For some reason I felt like the back seat would be better for the 3.5 hours of sleep I was going to get than unloading the bed of the truck and sleeping there.

1st Season CO E/S Elk... A tale of Mud and Blood

THURSDAY
We've already covered the truck and that insanity... so we'll pickup Thursday after the truck was pulled out and good to go.

A quick drive into town for some food, some deep breathing and to contact my wife and take what was coming to me... not for getting the truck stuck, but for telling her I was headed back to camp and instead deciding to go a different direction, and ultimately get stuck. She went easy on me, mostly just glad I was ok and the truck was all good and in my possession again.

Cheese pizza and I hit up a dinner for the perfect cheeseburger and fries after helping the recovery team dig out and get my truck off the edge. Checking in with @Dsnow9, the only lashing I got was for buying a new truck and not having chains. Having grown up learning to drive well in the snow and ice of the midwest, I never really had a need for chains, as most roads were reasonably or somewhat plowed, I was rarely barreling through deep snow. Nevertheless, it was clear chains were going to be needed as it was even snowing down in town... nearly 3k feet below where I had set up camp when it was dry. A quick trip to Napa auto parts and I had the tightest fitting pair of tire chains that I have ever seen. I then went to the local market to buy some super dried out wood so that we could get the wood stove cranking tonight as we knew we were in for a LOT of snow and cold.

Cheese pizza and I departed for camp later in the afternoon and reached the forest road we would be climbing just before dark. We decided to power in as much as we could without chains before throwing them on. CP was leading in his tacoma, with my Tundra following him. About halfway up the main climb the snow was getting deep... it was easily 14 inches. We were doing pretty well, but I started watching CP's truck get a little squirrelly. So I flashed my lights and got my chains on. We continued on to the point where we were almost to the junction of two forest roads when CPs chinless tacoma just wouldn't climb anymore and starting slipping backwards. It was clear he was not making it any further. He safely got it turned around - a feat in and of itself - and got it pulled over to the side safely after driving back and forth to pack it down.

Transferred everything to my truck, and powered up and around the bend and got to the junction. At this point, no one had gone this far and the road was completely. Unmarked. For our sake, the road was pretty wide and mellow here so we decided to slowly inch our way forward... but it felt off. after about 300 feet we realized this was going to be a bad idea. Not only were we breaking trail with just a set of rear chains, but we were essentially snow plowing the road with my bumper, the snow was that high. When CP had hesitation about continuing, we called it and headed back down to crash in town. Which was incredibly frustrating and demoralizing after everything we went through to get there, but it was the safe and smart call.

We caught a ton of shit from @Dsnow9 over going back to town, but I think in hindsight he realized we made the right call.

Funny enough CP said we should grab frozen pizzas. So we scarfed them down, chat with D and went to bed. A 4 am wake up call and meeting with Dsnow9 at the base of the road I slipped off of at 6 am to drive up and scout the opposite ridge at first light. I was able to sleep soundly, but I will admit to having some PTSD about getting back on that road that I slipped off of. But I wouldn't be driving and I think D was chaining up all 4.

FRIDAY
I pull up to @Dsnow9 chaining up his fronts, decked out in snow bibs and big beefy, warm boots. The man does not F around. I assume so because he doesn't want to find out.

A little small talk, followed by packing on all my layers and all my glass and tripods, I hope in his truck with CP and we start heading up the road. I am not one to normally dwell on or stress about things, but I am not stoked about being on this road again so soon and especially after even more moisture fell. The only good news is that we are now looking at a frozen road - at least going in - so some semblance of calm there. We pass the spot and I let out a sigh of relief, not because the road gets substantially easier there, but just because I want to get past it. We reach the top safely and a little early. Definitely vote to stay in the truck, nice and toasty, because it's cold AF outside and most of my cold weather gear is back up at camp. Another 1000 feet above us and across the ridge and then some. So for now, it's shiver and stay warm as best as I can.

We settle into our spots for glassing, digging out of the snow to get to the frozen dirt below and start trying to glass between the breaks in fog. The weather is not exactly cooperating here, but it is FINALLY dry and no new moisture is coming down. and then you hear it... "I've got elk" from @Dsnow9. "Me too" from CP. And there they are. In the valley, in the field. All on private but moving up and to the right. In the direction of public. According to D there is a cycle here and unless some shifts, he thinks they are on Day X which means by tomorrow they will be starting their day on public, and might get pushed more to public by the private guided hunts below. Things are lining up, the heaviness of the past fews days is lifting.

IMG_5223.jpegIMG_5224.jpeg

And then I see them. Elk on the far right ridge. Well onto public, very hunt able and according to D, a place easy enough to get them out of that I should "shoot the biggest bull you can find". I don't know what it is... but something about these elk on the ridge feels "right". It feels like it's the spot. And thats before anyone ever says anything about a strategy or gameplay. But I just have a feeling. This is it. That's where it's coming together. Chills... and not just from the cold. For the first time since I got into elk hunting, things feel good. Easy. Fun. A slight boost in confidence.

The fog really starts rolling in and the entire opposing ridge is socked in. No point in freezing our asses off. We descend down the hill and past the spot where I slid... all in one piece. Thanks to @Dsnow9 for his 4 chains and getting us back to the easy road safely.

IMG_5225.jpeg

Dropping CP off at his truck, we chain up mine and @Dsnow9 and I make a game plan for going up and getting to camp. our plan is to take it slow, get to camp, get me dressed in appropriate clothes, grab food and get back to that same glassing spot to sit there all afternoon and watch. After all, despite how doom and gloom the weather looks now, its supposed to be bright and sunny starting this afternoon through Monday.

Chained up and ready to go, we start ascending. Thankfully, the lower camps and side by sides have been carving this road up and the snow is pretty packed down for the first half mile or so. Easy going. But @Dsnow9 is looking a little all over the place climbing some of these easy spots. I have a feeling that he forgot to put it in 4, but who am I to correct anyone on driving after just having gotten stuck. He pulls over and gets out of this truck cracking up. He walks back to me and before he can say anything I ask if he forgot to put it in 4H, and he can't stop laughing. Crisis averted, I was worried that if he was having trouble already in 4H, we were never getting through the snow up top. Powered into 4H and we both make it to where I turned around last night. He takes one look at the snow and says, "you guys made the right call turning around; no way you make it without 4 chains to break trail".

We chat about the next few miles to camp, go over a strategy of sorts and I give D more space to lead this time, just in case anything goes wrong. This snow is really deep. And it definitely gives us a run for our money in the few spots we have left to ascend. Nothing has been up here. Just whatever animal is walking along the road, undisturbed by the usual vehicle traffic whipping around in here

IMG_5226.jpeg

I follow D, watching even his vehicle drifting up these inclines, wheels turned up hill, but vehicle still going straight. Keeping everything on the road, and avoiding the few spicy spots were off the trails means a fast track to the valley below. Once we get past all the inclines, I breathe a huge sigh of relief, just glad we made it past the worst and now just get to downshift and drift downhill into camp. D manages to snag a few photos of me coming up behind him... because he has enough time to rest and relax as I am taking it very slow. Driving confidence is in the toilet, and stress is all time. But I was relieved and felt better after ascending.

IMG_5227.jpeg

The downhill portion was a breeze and we made it back to camp to the Ritz Carlton of wall tents, the 14x20 Davis Wall tent. I have never been so relieved to park my truck somewhere and see shelter. And I've been in some gnarly mountain storms before. But until we crested the final climb on that drive, there was some doubt about whether I was going to be able to see camp before a major melt off and dry out. The second best part about our arrival, is that the fog and clouds were burning off and we had sun peaking through for the first time in nearly 48 hours.

IMG_5228.jpeg

Right before reaching camp, we ran into two hunters on a side by side coming up the hill we were descending into camp. As it pretty customary on these tight forest roads, everyone attempts to pull over, but you still end up close enough to shake hands while driving by. D starts chatting them up and can't resist telling them about my truck story (eye roll). It turns out they have been here before and in the course of talking, they have the same strategy we do for tmrw. They know this landscape, where to glass from and how to get after the elk. D suggests we work together, rather than step on each others toes and F it up for both groups.

A quick lunch break and we are heading back DOWN that same road in D's truck to get to the glassing spot.

Suns out, guns out... I mean the elk are out. no guns til tmrw. The elk are EVERYWHERE. and the elk are where we want them to be and moving toward the area we want them to be. Again, things are feeling really really good. Big herd moving. Smaller, satellite little herds moving. Small bachelor groups of bulls moving up and to the right.

IMG_5229.jpegIMG_5230.jpeg

The two guys from WV show up and come glass with us. There is a lot of shooting the shit while we glass the opposing ridge. I cannot help myself but constantly watch the upper right ridge and see when those elk are coming out. I was glassing over there when I heard "oh shit, look at that bull". On the opposing ridge, all the way up is a slow moving, but huge bodied bull. You don't even need binos to see him. He is beautiful. He is big. He is MOVING TOWARD THE SPOT I HAVE BEEN EYING ALL DAY. But... the WV guys spotted him so @Dsnow9 and I say it's their bull to chase if they want him. And he goes into this small aspen patch and never comes out. Bull is bedded. Right where I wanted to hunt. I got so excited, never took a pic of him.

As the sun starts to set, we start chatting about what we are going to do. The bachelor group of bulls is down by a small water source and in a spot the WV guys have hunted. But the big bull is up on the ridge and near the spot I want to hunt, but they did spot it. the WV guys ask what we each want to do, I defer to D. @Dsnow9 looks at me and asks what my gut feeling is. He can barely get the question out before I blurt out "I want to make a play at the ridge. It was my plan and wish this morning and with those elk coming back out and MEGA BULL bedding just shy of that same area... I want it". D lets out a huge smile and agrees his guts says ridge play. Which is good because the WV guys want to make a play at the bachelor group of bulls. Considering us two didn't know those two at all before Friday, it could not have worked out better and in a way in which everyone got what they wanted and had elk to hunt. With any luck, 3 tags would get punched and we'd all be happy.

We walk back to truck and I am literally buzzing with excitement. To me, planning for elk and seeing elk are the two most exciting things on a hunt. A million other things can go wrong, but seeing the elk and making a plan are fun. We made it back to camp and I am so excited. We make a blazing fire, warm ourselves up, get all the gear stowed and ready to go.

Trailhead at 5 am. Alarm for 4 am. I needed to sleep, but tomorrow could be the day where it all comes together.

It could all come together beautifully... or it could be more in line with the trip and be a hilarious rodeo.

Only time would tell, but one thing is for sure... tomorrow was a new day, and one that would change me.

IMG_5231.jpeg

You can find yourself in some sticky situations with chains on front. Especially going downhill. To each their own and whatever makes them comfortable. FWIW, I work driving mountain roads all winter long and chain up several times per day. And as stated earlier in the thread, some vehicle models don’t have clearance for chains on front.

Not for Tundras. At least my 2010 Tundra is a no go for chains on the front. too tight of spacing unfortunately.
I have an 09 tundra. Same truck. But I have the trd rock warrior and that might have more clearance. Compared to another tundra on the road that asked me how I did the chains we compared space. With his road tires and my oversized offroad tires I had over an inch more clearance than he did. Those chains have to be tight and cannot move when driving.

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jon_G
Back