The Season of Stupid (& elk)

• Thread starter Deleted member 52098
  • Start date
Custom game carts, 10 mile water pack-ins and one trip double cow pack-outs, gunfights, black widows, backcountry buttered bagels... you two are doing your part to keep HT weird. And I love it.

Well done.
Right? I kind of want to tag along with them one of these years 🤣

I guess I didn’t cover the hike out much. Kinda left that to @MtnElk but I do have some photos I was going to add.
A311A9CA-D77E-47C9-847A-27AE40453478.jpeg

The abandoned cart was strewn all over the place. Found the kick stand about 200 yards away, a broken axle in the trail, an empty co2 canister another 20 yards away and then everything else just stuffed right next to the trail. As I said in the other post I’m happy to coordinate pickup for whoever owns the flat wheeled, broken axled, abandoned e bike cart in an area e bikes are not aloud. The game warden that checked my meat on the way out laughed for a while about me hiking the cart out. And said he would love to give the guy a ticket.
EA1C5CC0-8C0C-4F7D-A090-0B56B8E02E12.jpeg
EF4EE72A-CC5C-4D67-B4FD-22B9D6308D1B.jpeg5A6452F9-21C2-4FA2-AD79-CD0EA7B2006B.png
The hike out was decent even with the cart at 86lb. It was hard but doable. That gopher hole made the rest of the hike pretty miserable and everything started to cause pain as I favored away from that left knee.

Lastly, saw what looked like a pretty extensive pack rat nest. None of those Patties or sage pieces ended up there naturally.
1D3FDF41-3769-42BC-BDA0-E15427597B1C.jpeg
Side note:

The hike out with meat was wet and soggy but not actively raining. My so called waterproof altra boots will be getting a call to the company and then likely getting thrown in the trash. MtnElk had the newer version of the same boot and had no issues. The moisture in the boots was enough to feel the sloshing and they never dried out. Feet are still back to normal after that.

And just like that… 1st season CO is now here. Planned to leave later this afternoon, but the recent weather forecast has it coming down starting at noon and then adding lightning to the mix. Figured it was a smart idea to not be handling metal poles during all that, so I’ll be departing here shortly. Which works out fine since our internet has been out since 4 pm. Thankfully I packed the truck up last night. Can’t wait to test out this new Davis tent in the rain and then possible snow tonight. @Dsnow9 arrives Friday.

Time to find and pattern some elk for opening morning!

71867370618__C07E8727-8287-448F-A850-689D5C01A6C3.jpeg

Wild update:

@MtnElk hit the sos button on his zoleo. I don’t know a lot of details but he set up camp today in rain and snow. Was heading to a glassing point on a nasty road and decided it was too nasty and needed to turn around. From what I can gather he slid part way off the road and got his truck stuck.

He is ok, SAR just showed up to pick him up.

Will update as I find out more but as I have warned him and everyone else I’ve talked to about certain roads. They will turn dangerous in a second and you need to have everything in your truck to get out safely including chains.

Wild update:

@MtnElk hit the sos button on his zoleo. I don’t know a lot of details but he set up camp today in rain and snow. Was heading to a glassing point on a nasty road and decided it was too nasty and needed to turn around. From what I can gather he slid part way off the road and got his truck stuck.

Will update as I find out more but as I have warned him and everyone else I’ve talked to about certain roads. They will turn dangerous in a second and you need to have everything in your truck to get out safely including chains.
CRAPPOLA!

Wild update:

He got dropped off at camp. Not sure what the truck recovery will look like at this point. I can’t head up till Friday morning or late late tomorrow night.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YellowCreek
Back