Caribou Gear Tarp

The Rut-- 2010

Calvin

Well, it's getting to be that time of the year again.. Who's hunting Sitka Blacktails this fall?

I did my first poking around/calling yesterday for the rut season. No bucks, but had a black bear come right to a grunt call. Not a whole lot of sign down around the 1k areas of elevation yet. Gonna head up to alpine on Friday if the forecast isn't too scary.

I have to live vicariously through your reports, so don't be stingy! ;)

I saw Johnny saying that they are already responding to calls, but I suspect he speaks a special language with them...

I'll try to keep this thread up to date. Planning on doing a lot of hunts this fall in a variety of spots.

Little Brother is headed to Kodiak I think the 2nd week of November. I got the call over a 3rd person cancellation. It was hard to say no.

I had an offer to fill a party in November as well. Had to turn it down.

We've been having 50-70 mph winds on a regular basis, and the forecast for the next few days isn't any better. Gotta love Oct!

Little Brother is headed to Kodiak I think the 2nd week of November. I got the call over a 3rd person cancellation. It was hard to say no.

I'd like to go hunt blacktails on Kodiak one of these years. Looks a little different from the rainforest! I'll be there chasing around bears in May though. Looking forward to that hunt.

Been to Kodiak. Want to try the rainforest next time.

Do you use corks there?

Yeah, I use my Meindl Corks unless I need to walk down a gated off road or a pulled road to get where I head up the mountain.

I won't be going this year. Feel the need to head to PA to hunt the archery rut for whitetails. Good luck to everyone going, looking forward to stories and pictures.

--Bill

Looks like the weather will be perfect to start next week. We had 100mph winds yesterday! Been chasing a few ducks around.. But the waiting is killing me.

A little snow up top, to get the bucks moving.. I'll be climbing up high the first few weeks, and fresh snow would be perfect so I could see exactly what is up there.
johnnyduck001.jpg

Nice!

I'll be down in December again.. don't know if i can squeeze any hunting in though.

Good luck!

ICB,

If you make it down here and need a boat ride to fill the freezer, let me know..

I took the kids on a 3 mile hike through some rolling hills/muskegs yesterday. The night before we had an insane amount of rain, and every creek/river was flowing at it's max.

Busted out one fork horn buck that was hanging in some think cover around a creek, but my kid didn't have enough time to put one in him, before he disappeared into the brush.. Called in 2 does too, but neither of them a buck trailing them yet. Still early..

Well, the rut is in full swing.. I've passed up on a retarded amount of bucks, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I've sure called in some bucks for my buddies/kids. Good times. Nothing big, but some nice Sitka Blacktails. I'm hoping I find that "one" buck this next week..

My 9 y/o's first buck.
llbuck2.jpg

Called in these two bucks for my buddy..
jeffwidefork.jpg

Jeffsbuck.jpg

And a few more I didn't grab pictures off.

My 4th tag was on this guy. Got him on the edge of alpine in the scrub on a solo day hunt.
OldBrute.jpg

Never did connect with a big one. 6 more months and I get to do it all over again..

Sweet photo. I love the looks of those bucks...red antlers, black forehead, and rich brown coat. Probably has a double throat patch, too.

Sweet photo. I love the looks of those bucks...red antlers, black forehead, and rich brown coat. Probably has a double throat patch, too.

I agree, I think I need to start looking into a trip to the thicker Islands for a deer hunt.

--Bill

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back