The rifle for deer season 2021

Which should I use this year?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nhenry

Hello all,

There are 9 days until the start of rifle season here in Kansas. I'm a one-gun hunter typically throughout the season, and am having trouble choosing which one I'll grab out of the safe this year.

I have an Either Sex/Either Species tag and an antlerless tag in my wallet, and I'll be in a part of the state that has both species.

Here's some information on the rifles:

- My Sako 85 weighs 8.4 lbs scoped and with 3 rounds in the magazine. I'd shoot 100gr TTSX with it.

- My custom Tikka weighs 7.8 lbs with a scope and 3 rounds in the magazine. I'd use 140gr TTSX with it.

- Both have very similar accuracy and I'm comfortable with both out to 400 (which is my limit for hunting).

So here's a fun lil poll for everyone.

If you have a moment, explain why you voted what you did. If you don't, thanks for the vote :)

Last edited:
Can’t go wrong with either. What scopes are on them… that may decide for me. But I’d probably hunt with both just because that’s how I roll

Can’t go wrong with either. What scopes are on them… that may decide for me. But I’d probably hunt with both just because that’s how I roll
They both have the same 3-9x40 Leupold on them. Figured I didn't need anything more and I was right

While I can agree that the Sako is as classy as can be, the Tikka's action is smother than a hot knife through butter. It's why I built a custom on that action instead of a Rem clone.

More importantly, the bolt is on the correct side for both. Still, the Sako is still my pick. Wood & blued steel all day long.

A beautiful tossup...tasteful utility with the Tikka, conventional class with the Socko. At least they share a family tree.

I'd carry the Tikka...crazy cool looking rifle, Mr Ackley's 284 is perfect, don't have a clue why I've never owned one.
Strongly suggest you fix that problem. I love the 280 Rem and its improved son. Great cartridges.

Absolutely no bias from me, the 280 is probably as good of an all around cartridge as has ever been especially with the bullet choices we have now. That said, the 25-06 is hell on deer and probably my favorite of anything I have. Both look like sweet set ups and deserve to see the field, immediately

Absolutely no bias from me, the 280 is probably as good of an all around cartridge as has ever been especially with the bullet choices we have now. That said, the 25-06 is hell on deer and probably my favorite of anything I have. Both look like sweet set ups and deserve to see the field, immediately
Perhaps I'll save my antlerless tag for early January when we have our antlerless season here, just so they both can see the field. Don't have work off for that though

Perhaps I'll save my antlerless tag for early January when we have our antlerless season here, just so they both can see the field. Don't have work off for that though
You can just go the old fashioned way and let the weather decide, let the Sako enjoy the field if it’s decent and tote the Tikka when it turns!

I chose the .25-06 because it's great for deer regardless of which rifle it's chambered for and I have one which has so far not taken anything.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back