PEAX Equipment

The rifle for deer season 2021

Which should I use this year?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I would certainly use them both. This year, the first week of firearm season I carried either my Featherweight .308 or Mark V .300 Wby. mag. The second week I will carry either my Lazerguard .257 Wby. mag, or my Super Grade .264 Win. mag. I will let the 700 LSS in 7mm Rem. mag. sit this season out. Love 'em all!

I go back and forth between a 338 wm built by Gentry custom in Belgrade MT and a 270 browning. The 338 is built on a sako action with a Gentry barrel.

My dad bought a Tikka t3 in 7mm rem mag and that thing is a dang good gun for the price!

I always struggle to choose what I hunt with. I like the idea of playing the weather. Sako for the nice days, and the Tikka for the poor weather days!

I go back and forth between a 338 wm built by Gentry custom in Belgrade MT and a 270 browning. The 338 is built on a sako action with a Gentry barrel.

My dad bought a Tikka t3 in 7mm rem mag and that thing is a dang good gun for the price!

I always struggle to choose what I hunt with. I like the idea of playing the weather. Sako for the nice days, and the Tikka for the poor weather days!
I like the idea if I knew for sure I wouldn’t tag out the first day. The place I hunt has so much traffic that I’d be willing to bet I get a couple on day one, which is the reason choosing one matters more. It may be the only one I get to use

I like the idea if I knew for sure I wouldn’t tag out the first day. The place I hunt has so much traffic that I’d be willing to bet I get a couple on day one, which is the reason choosing one matters more. It may be the only one I get to use
Makes sense! I didn't even shoot my rifle this season. I punched my buck tag with a bow. Good or bad, we're only allowed 1 buck in MN. I still carried my 338 around for rifle season in case I had an itch to take a doe!

No bad choice, the only animal able to tell between the 2 is the person carrying it. .284 has been lucky 7 for me, 7rm, and thats almost exclusively on elk. There was that one deer that stepped in front of the Interarms Mauser 98 Mark X big 7mm.bucky.JPG

It was one of those terrible CO RFW hunts that get dissed here regularly.

Both are fine looking rifles!
I chose the 25-06. But i can see your dilemma.
The 7mm & 25 caliber are my favorites.

For our opening day on Saturday, in PA, i'm taking my Stevens 200 that i rebarreled with a 24" in 250 Savage. I'll be using 100gr Ballistic Tips.
Where i'm going i expect ranges to be 25-70 yards.

For Sunday & Monday i'm hunting a different area. I'll take my Savage 111 that rebarreled to 257 Roberts AI. Shooting the 120gr Partition.

I've taken numerous deer with my 7mms. (7mm-08AI, 280 Rem, 7mm Rem Mag)
When i get some kinks worked out with my Mauser in 284 Win, i'll take that.

I chose 25-06 because I literally just had to make almost this same decision myself. Except mine was between my 280 Rem and my 25-06. I went 25-06 because my groups are just slightly better with it, but it’s not by much. Both great choices that will put a deer down well! Good luck to you sir!

Both are fine looking rifles!
I chose the 25-06. But i can see your dilemma.
The 7mm & 25 caliber are my favorites.

For our opening day on Saturday, in PA, i'm taking my Stevens 200 that i rebarreled with a 24" in 250 Savage. I'll be using 100gr Ballistic Tips.
Where i'm going i expect ranges to be 25-70 yards.

For Sunday & Monday i'm hunting a different area. I'll take my Savage 111 that rebarreled to 257 Roberts AI. Shooting the 120gr Partition.

I've taken numerous deer with my 7mms. (7mm-08AI, 280 Rem, 7mm Rem Mag)
When i get some kinks worked out with my Mauser in 284 Win, i'll take that.
Thanks! They’re my favorite calibers as well. It’s a hard decision for sure

I chose 25-06 because I literally just had to make almost this same decision myself. Except mine was between my 280 Rem and my 25-06. I went 25-06 because my groups are just slightly better with it, but it’s not by much. Both great choices that will put a deer down well! Good luck to you sir!
Good luck to you as well!

I went with 25-06, reason being I have a 25-06 and love shooting it. I don't have a 280AI but plan on converting a Savage Axis II in 7mm-08 to 280AI this next year so in a year my vote may have been different.

Both rifles are good looking rigs though as a few have said, blued steel and wood stocks just look good.

You can't go wrong with either.

I decided to go against the tide and use my 280 Ackley. I goofed around and found a load with 120gr TTSX and IMR 4350 that shoots 1/4” groups at 100 meters.

Thanks to everyone who participated. The poll will still be open until the 30th just for fun.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back