The Population Bomb and Immigration

sdgunslinger

http://dieoff.org/page54.htm

I have been meaning to post this for a while , and it goes right along with the other immigration thread .

I have been wondering if some of the folks seemingly worried about a percieved overpopulation of cows
biggrin.gif
would not be worried about rampant growth in this country .

I know I have already seen a hell of a difference in my lifetime going from less than 200 million people to nearly 300 million these days . States like Colorado have been nuked compared to when I first saw them as a kid in the early Sixties . Gillette, Wy used to be a sleepy little place of something like 600 people with a sign on the east end that said " Friendliest Little Town in the West ." Take a look at that city now .

All this rampant growth and developement has to have a negative effect on the enviroment : water , wildlife , open spaces , room to hunt . The graph at the above link shows we're headed for 400 million plus in our children's lifetime and I think it's gonna suck . And the big increase is due to immigrants and their proginy . Population growth from native born Americans has been basically flat since 1970 .

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 03-05-2003 07:38: Message edited by: sdgunslinger ]</font>

It will happen and wildlife and wildlands will catch the brunt of it! From the baby boomers on this country has been pretty good as increasing it's numbers.

I think the best way to get a handle on this would be for the major religions to get a clue and start advocating for not having so many children. The population growth here in UT is similar to that of many third world countries and it is NOT the move-ins as the locals would have you believe.

I wonder how long technology will allow for this increase. Sooner or later we'll hit a threshold where not matter what we do we can't produce anymore food. The production of many crop plants has been increased through technology, but I don't think it will always be able to keep pace.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ak2021
Back