The nature of antlers

So not trying to throw a match into a dumpster filled with flammables, but for those who don't care or don't really care about antlers, why hunt antlered animals at all?

This is a legitimate question and not an attack in any way. Is it because there are no anterless tags available in your desired hunting area or because horned animals yield more meat?
We keep all our antlers, heck, have most of them done into Euros on a barter deal, but definitely more meat on a 3-4 point buck than a doe.

So not trying to throw a match into a dumpster filled with flammables, but for those who don't care or don't really care about antlers, why hunt antlered animals at all?

This is a legitimate question and not an attack in any way. Is it because there are no anterless tags available in your desired hunting area or because horned animals yield more meat?
I'm not a huge antler guy, but I do keep all of them. Not sure why, quite a few are just out in the garage. For me it is mostly a tag issue. I am guaranteed a buck tag in northern Wisconsin good for public or private. Doe tags in areas can be harder to come by where deer densities are low and they may be good for only certain counties and either public or private land

They are the last thing I pack out. I could could envision a scenario where I'm just to warn down to make another trip and I leave them, but I wouldn't say it's likely to happen.
Yep the last thing I pack out as well. Except the last mule deer and elk. I packed them out with the first load only because I was required to bring the heads to be checked for CWD. I didn't want something tearing them apart and then be in violation when I took them to the DOW.

Not sure about doing this with antlered animals but horned animals for sure. A big horn sheep for sure…you can’t eat the horns and they are heavy on a b&c ram. Save your back not the horns

We as a species always keep score...it is in our nature. We have plenty to eat and a safe warm place to live.

I think antlers fit in the model below as a belonging or esteem need.

1660064028330.png

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back