The Montana Slaughter

I talked to a buddy of mine that lives in Gardiner this morning. He said it was absolutely insane. His brothers knocked over a pair of 350s, and a good friend of his killed one that they're calling 412. He's a monster, but not sure if I can get 412 out of him.

Hard for people to resist when there's bulls like that hitting the ground.

I heard there was a 400+ with a lot of points and a drop tine killed above daily, is that the one?

The country road was drifted in, otherwise we would have hunted that stuff. The farther the elk migrated from Gardiner, the safer they were...

I saw a 12 yr old kid (don't know him) killed one that was 395.......

I can't wait to hear the hero stories from all these big bull killers:rolleyes: Did any of them get coaxed in with a rustling bag of cheetos? I think thats the best way to get those bulls to come to you is to shake a bag of cheetos and pretend your going to feed them:)

The giant I saw had a 12"+ extra coming off his 4th on the left side.
The 350's were nice clean sixes.

For what it's worth, the brothers I know kill really nice elk out of there every year anyways, usually during archery season.

Do they use Cheetos though??

For what its worth... I'll guarantee not MANY of the guys that hunted down there killed big bulls.... Once again, my question...how many big bulls are usually killed in that Jan/Feb late season? The shining light might be that there is NO late season this year....

A friend of a friend killed a whopper in MT. This bull was killed in the last weekend of rifle season. Kinda big...

Same guy arrowed a nice 346 bulin AZ this year.

Attachments

• IMG_2101.jpg
    IMG_2101.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 477
Do they use Cheetos though??

For what its worth... I'll guarantee not MANY of the guys that hunted down there killed big bulls.... Once again, my question...how many big bulls are usually killed in that Jan/Feb late season? The shining light might be that there is NO late season this year....

Could be wrong..but I think the last couple of years the tags were 40-45 for bulls. I think it used to be around 150. Not sure what it was in the 90's.

Randy11................got any pictures to show us.????

And for that matter, since the slaughter did happen, even though it sucks, i would still like to see any big bulls that were hammered if anybody comes up with any....

Good lord Khunter....
I gotta think that's close to the state record if he wasn't busted up and matched the right side.

Good lord Khunter....
I gotta think that's close to the state record if he wasn't busted up and matched the right side.

I forgot to mention he broke off when he went tumbling after the shot. The measured him at 386, assuming the busted off part matched the intact side. Have no idea how good he is at measuring. But he is/was a biggun. Did not hear if they found the broken off parts.

And Ritz crackers seemed to be the choice bait that day instesad of cheetos. Guess it is lke fly fishing--you have to experiment.

I forgot to mention he broke off when he went tumbling after the shot. The measured him at 386, assuming the busted off part matched the intact side. Have no idea how good he is at measuring. But he is/was a biggun. Did not hear if they found the broken off parts.

And Ritz crackers seemed to be the choice bait that day instesad of cheetos. Guess it is lke fly fishing--you have to experiment.

Wow I completely biffed it on that bull. At first glance I thought his third was actually his fourth, thinking he was a typical seven with a giant back end. My bad. Still an awesome bull.

Thats my broken bull. He is/was a 7X. I am no expert but rough scored him just doubling the intact right side and he doubles at about 386. I hunt hard when I can, generally when I don't have older family or younger kids along. This bull was the result of some hard hunts with a buddy from Bozeman. Lots of miles on foot, plenty of deep snow, lots of smaller bulls passed, some really nice bulls passed and two days packing him out. Greenhorn, I think you drove right by me on Saturday as I was coming out of the hills, do you drive a silver 1/2 ton Chevy extended cab with a Yukon tailing you, you were going too fast to tell. This bull likely came out of the Park at some point, but we'd already eaten all the cheetos. Sure would have been nice to load him whole into the pickup, but would have needed the chopper for this one.

Thats my broken bull. He is/was a 7X. I am no expert but rough scored him just doubling the intact right side and he doubles at about 386. I hunt hard when I can, generally when I don't have older family or younger kids along. This bull was the result of some hard hunts with a buddy from Bozeman. Lots of miles on foot, plenty of deep snow, lots of smaller bulls passed, some really nice bulls passed and two days packing him out. Greenhorn, I think you drove right by me on Saturday as I was coming out of the hills, do you drive a silver 1/2 ton Chevy extended cab with a Yukon tailing you, you were going too fast to tell. This bull likely came out of the Park at some point, but we'd already eaten all the cheetos. Sure would have been nice to load him whole into the pickup, but would have needed the chopper for this one.

Hi,

Hope you do not mind my posting that amazing bull that Ivan shared with me. Share a picture when you get him pieced back together! And "nice" pack, too. good stuff. I think I may have had a LOT more orange hanging off of me when packing out those horns. Of course I live in Colo whre the lead really flies. And you know I was kidding about the ritz crackers!

Kirby

No problem Kirby. I was lucky and had a good year. Here's a pic of my 2010 archery bull

Attachments

• IMG_2039.jpg
    IMG_2039.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 469
Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back