NEW SITKA Ambient 75

The Montana Slaughter

I spent several days near Gardiner this last week. It was crazy. Yellowstone elk took a major beating the last 10 days of season, I bet most of those elk piling out had never left the park before this year.

Well, i hated to add to this onslaught, but while out looking for a whitetail buck in Western Montana, this damn azzhole 5 point had to show himself. My good friend has been up for the last week from Florida and has never killed a bull and really wanted to take one home. So, as bad as i didn't want to see another elk die this year, i really am happy for him to take home his first bull elk. He had to work for it while he was here, trudging through snow for a number of days while beign sick. When this guy showed himself, it was all over but the cryin:)

Attachments

• Brians First Bull 1-small'.jpg
    Brians First Bull 1-small'.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 1,336
  • Brians First Bull 2-small.jpg
    Brians First Bull 2-small.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 1,352
I don't know who you guys are trying to kid, but I have big fantasies of loading a giant bull elk whole in my truck. As if you guys are above that... riiiiigght!

We did all the coffee and donut things, showed up late, forgot stuff, and still didn't manage to take an elk. Don't have the road-hunting tactics quite figured out yet.

We did all the coffee and donut things, showed up late, forgot stuff, and still didn't manage to take an elk. Don't have the road-hunting tactics quite figured out yet.

Drive slower. You have it to take it down 20mph to really get into the groove.

We drove to one spot, glassed from the truck and saw several big bulls get tagged by hunters within sight of the road. We heard vollies of shooting and drove back down lower and glassed back up where we had parked, only to see two herds move onto road right where we had been glassing from minutes earlier. Two decent 6X6s in one group, and a really big on in the other group. We were going to turn around and drive back up there, but four vehicles zoomed past us before we could turn around... so we just called it quits and left.

A friend of mine was up there on horseback, glassing down on the madness. Said he witnessed 8-10 bulls go down within a couple hundred yards of the road.
He left too..

Anyone else ever wonder why the same bull that got jiggy and bolted when you were 60 yards away in the timber in September, is the same one that ends up running through 2 miles of sagebrush parks and gets drilled? Makes me crazy.

Ditto on the mandatory reporting - NV not only has the best bonus point system, IMHO, but the required reporting is pretty slick. :D

And, I'm happy to report that I contributed to one less dead elk in MT this year... ;(

I don't know who you guys are trying to kid, but I have big fantasies of loading a giant bull elk whole in my truck. As if you guys are above that... riiiiigght!

Nobody said they are above that.............I'd shoot a big easy one too if i had the chance, just sayin i never have the chance becasue i'm always out doing it the right way.

Thats why you aren't good at the coffee and doughnut thing either:)

A guy isn't going to pass a shot at a big one from the road.... but it just dont happen often!!!! My first bull was 90 yards uphill from the truck, shot him from the road with my dogs standing at my side and my 17 month old daughter in her car seat...

Was not one bit proud of that bull... he was just meat. And if he was 400 bulll I wouldn't have been proud either, but the rack would have still looked sweet!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back