The Hunting Product That Most Impresses You

@fleabagmatt I also have both. Prefer the interface of OnX and I think they keep up with Block Management better here in Montana. However, the big reason I keep Gaia is the Apple Carplay capability. When I blow my stalk but don't quite feel like going home yet, having the land ownership on the center screen is super handy for a little road hunt. If OnX gets Carplay up and running, that will probably spell the end of Gaia for me.
Yes, I was scouting for next year pheasant/duck hunting potential block management spots and noticed that there were some
in GaiaGPS that were not in OnX. I contacted OnX and got great customer support...they only posted the ones that are currently open and delete the closed BMA units until contracts are renewed. Both are great companies. I also use GaiaGPS with Android Auto.

Strelok Pro ballistic calculator on my iphone

I have all my ballistics programmed into my Geovid HD3500 rangefinging binos. It builds confidence when Strelok Pro gives you the same MOA. Heck I even had custom turret rings built based on that info and again everything correlates. The Geovid has the internal barometer and thermometer which is great but the HD3500 was $2700 and the Strelok Pro was dirt cheap. You can usually estimate the barametric pressure based on elevation and we can estimate the temp good enough too. You could do pretty well long distance shooting just with the Strelok Pro

Although it's not needed all the time, the Katadyn Microfilter pump has been a dream.

Another vote for the Havlon knives, those replaceable blades are incredible.

Zeiss binos & riflescope.
Leica 1600b rangefinder.

Merino bases. 4 brands. Smartwool lasted 8 years,now holes & stretched some. Good luck with REI on sale stuff. Cabella's so so. Skre is good for summer or doubling up...lol

Wool has been good to me hunting. Been wearing the same sweater for 30 years,mid layer. Several shirts. Some my dads. Wore my uncles Woolrich coat a few times this year.

Impressed by Darn tough socks,merino.

The best $25 you never spent.

If I had had these 40 yrs ago, my life, right now, would be MUCH better.

Do it.
If these work as advertised they might be the bird hunting solution I’ve been searching for. I’m going to try them.

If these work as advertised they might be the bird hunting solution I’ve been searching for. I’m going to try them.
I don't know about the Orvis brand, but we use these for bird hunts and they work really well.

I don't know about the Orvis brand, but we use these for bird hunts and they work really well.

Got some a few months ago. I've used them for skeet shooting, and they worked well.

MSR Denali Ascent is up there for me. Not the highest performance, not the lightest, but I abuse them and they keep ticking.

IMG_1355_zpstyahauxy.jpg

Thx...do you have a favorite brand for any of these...and a reason why you prefer that brand?
The weight of the wool & temperature is why I choose from my different ones. I'm not sure of these weight ratings, but I think my lightest is 150 from Ibex (which went out of business but might be back again) and my heaviest is 250 from First Lite. I also have some from Icebreaker?, I like the hoody tops and my favorite is probably First Lite because it's very comfortable.

The onX app on my phone is something I use almost every day I hunt. While it's not 100 % accurate, it's pretty close. Also the My Radar weather app is another one I use daily.
Thx. I haven't tried the radar app. Will try it.

Garmin InReach.

Being able to check in back home has been a difference maker. Add in being able to check the weather for where you’re at, shoot. Mine just lives in the truck. Between hunting, fishing, outdoor pursuits, and work there’s many hours with no cell phone reception.
My InReach keeps my family sane while I'm out.

Do they have one that doesn't require power?
It’s a small heated element that creates a convection current that dries your boots.

There’s no fan at all.

Works great on mittens as well. Ok on gloves. Fingers don’t dry too good.

Back