The Hunting Product That Most Impresses You

gallagher71

I'm looking to find those unique hunting products out there that simply "work great" that might not be as well-known as they should be. There are some obvious products that come to mind that are well-known and well-respected for good reason. Many sponsor Mr. Newberg's organization. I'm inquiring about some of the less notable but still important gear or hunting supplies you might love that I should try.

As an example...I've found that Grabber brand hand warmers seem to be both warmer and longer-lasting than all of the other brands I've tried.

Anyone else have a favorite item?

(And please, as a courtesy to everyone, let's avoid the my pickup truck/rifle brand/ATV brand is better than your brand. Keep the thread to what your favorite might be...not why you believe someone else is wrong.)

Certainly not new or unknown, but merino wool base layers. Seem to work well across a pretty wide temperature range and don't get as 'funky' smelling as some of the other materials. I look at hunting sites as well as non-hunting sites when it's time to buy, not too concerned with camo or color when it's a base layer. My hunting rig is also my daily farm pickup, so it's always got a roll/box of blue paper shop towels and a tub of the really aggressive wipes with pumice, handy for lots of stuff.

Certainly not new or unknown, but merino wool base layers. Seem to work well across a pretty wide temperature range and don't get as 'funky' smelling as some of the other materials. I look at hunting sites as well as non-hunting sites when it's time to buy, not too concerned with camo or color when it's a base layer. My hunting rig is also my daily farm pickup, so it's always got a roll/box of blue paper shop towels and a tub of the really aggressive wipes with pumice, handy for lots of stuff.
Thx...do you have a favorite brand for any of these...and a reason why you prefer that brand?

Darn tuff socks...expensive, but Unconditionally Guaranteed for Life and Made in USA.

Helly Hanson or Grundens Commercial Fishing Rain Gear...mine was purchased in 1989 and still on my boat.

GaiaGPS...inexpensive and covers all states including wildfire perimeters, imagery, ownership parcels, BMA, WPA, topo maps.

InReach for text messages and broadcasting to selected users map location at user selected intervals

Jet sleds...mine have lasted over 15 years hauling firewood all winter long and gear during hunting season.

TAG bags....six-pack (28″ X 60″) that packs to the same volume as one of my old cotton moose bags.
HaulingMoose.jpg

Last edited:
Black diamond headlamp

Federal premium trophy coppers

Freeze dried meals, now in better flavors, curry/pad Thai/ etc.

Onx

Any replaceable blade knife

Moo moo Bessie cow decoy

I'm curious, have you ever used OnX to compare with Gaia? I've used Gaia for a couple years now and I'm satisfied with it, but OnX gets so much love that I wonder sometimes if it does something that I am missing out on. You don't see a lot of mention of GaiaGPS on here.

Garmin InReach Mini - let’s me hunt solo whenever I want without the wife worrying. Saved a stranded off roader in the desert who had a mechanical issue. Was able to text his friend his location and allowed him to get part he needed to get out.

GoHunt Insider - great information and the mapping tool is awesome. Use it everyday.

Any of the premium clothing company’s layering systems - lightweight pieces that pack a punch in keeping you comfortable.

Hunttalk and other forums for the knowledge share of varying experience levels

Have much does it cut down a rifle blast?
I believe they claim 35 db or something like that.

Whatever it is, it is one HELL OF A LOT better than nothing.

For a bit more money these will do even better, but you won't hear as much when there is no percussion event.

I have both and like them both. I give the Orvis the edge for all around use, but Decibullz is probably slightly better at blocking intense blasts. Both are easy to wear all day.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back